daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old February 18th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #21
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 10

Can anyone mark this on a map for me? is it that bristol road on the last pic?
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #22
Nacho

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot

Thanks for those.This one looks like it features a light rail ...erm....barge.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #23
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon
Can anyone mark this on a map for me? is it that bristol road on the last pic?
Yeah, I think the last one is the Brsitol road and the Sainsburys corner. The top one I think is the view from sort of over Selly Oak station but it could be where B&Q is at the moment.

U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #24
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 0

superb pics. Thanks for that. Really looking forward to seeing this become a reality one day. I love the designs, plenty of sleeky curves, cylindrical offices, apartments etc ... really works well with the canals.

Its about time Selly Oak had some major regeneration, and will hopefully take a lot of traffic away from my own area of Harborne just up the road.
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #25
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 49

Looks like a large site has already been cleared behind Homebase and PC world
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #26
BABYCAKES

wow thats fab...when?
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #27
cookoid_0

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES
wow thats fab...when?
I rememeber they were on about building the Selly Oak relief road or whatever its now called when I was a 3rd year student at Birmingham Uni. And that was 15 years ago!

Anyway I hope this happens soon it will be a great boost for south Birmingham. Its all part of the jigsaw - attract more people to Brum suburbs, attract more office jobs to the city centre, build loads of skyscrapers. Well, OK, eventually.

Has anyone got their heads around these renders well enough to say what road frontage this is? Is this the existing Bristol road that looks like its a coastal highway??

cookoid_0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #28
Sonny97

Difficult to say, although that particular render seems to comprise of what looks like the kind of buildings you'd see on a university campus at a guess - so perhaps its just off the Bristol Road further down Selly Oak by the Gunbarrels Pub maybe.

Either way, the render looks wonderful
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #29
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 67

I suspect that will be one of the new roads that will be constructed cookoid...
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #30
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I was reading in The Post about Selly Oak, and how it is the largest suburban regeneration project in Brum. £925 million if you count the new hospital, and that is without the redevelopment of Griffin Close (which look fantastic btw) and the existing Selly Oak Hospital site.
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:11 PM   #31
Sonny97

Will be a nightmare on the surrounding roads with diversions all over the shop. Its bad enough at the moment but it will be dreadful once all the diggers, trucks & cranes move in. Should be worth it though :o)
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:20 PM   #32
Biosonic
Second Citizen

One of the renders (with the rounded grey building on) looks like it has the Bristol Road and the railway line in front of it, which would make it situated where the Titanic Cafe is? Where the main building for the Birmingham Battery Factory is?
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:30 PM   #33
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Don't waste your time going to see the in-store model, they had to remove it because it was upsetting the locals too much and the shop workers were taking a lot of flak.

CH
CargoHold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:44 PM   #34
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 10

What didnt they like about it?
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM   #35
cookoid_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon
What didnt they like about it?
Dunno. I ******* despair. I mean, are they gutted that tens of millions of pounds are being spent on thier local area including regenerating wasteland and contaminated land from the battery factory, and diverting through traffic away from the centre, generating jobs and putting up the value of their homes?
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM   #36
ghostdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
One of the renders (with the rounded grey building on) looks like it has the Bristol Road and the railway line in front of it, which would make it situated where the Titanic Cafe is? Where the main building for the Birmingham Battery Factory is?
My dad used to take me to that greasy spoon a fair bit a few years ago, he'd get VIP guests and take them there instead of somewhere flashy. I must admit it was more fun, the people who run it are characters (if you get past the wife's terrifying hair). Somehow they survived the battery factory closing. I remember them getting a fair few geezers after their sessions at nearby "massage parlour" Pennys which was pretty amusing. Its actually called the Knife and Fork (but we call it Knf and fk cos of the way many letters were missing for years) and not the Titanic, they didnt really think through that slogan.... (Titanic cafe, unsinkable - didnt the titanic sink on its maiden voyage????). I guess it came from their comendable resiliance through the years. I mean I remember 15 or so years ago they thought theyd be gone due to bypass plans for the area, maybe they'll survive the latest ones eh I wouldnt mind an updated render with the knf and fk included, it has more character than any of the generic buildings planned....
ghostdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM   #37
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by CargoHold
Don't waste your time going to see the in-store model, they had to remove it because it was upsetting the locals too much and the shop workers were taking a lot of flak.

CH
Probably looked like it was designed by a bloody student or something?

Apparently lead, from say busy roads and battey factories, leads to a drop in intelligence. Odd that.
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM   #38
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog
My dad used to take me to that greasy spoon a fair bit a few years ago, he'd get VIP guests and take them there instead of somewhere flashy. I must admit it was more fun, the people who run it are characters (if you get past the wife's terrifying hair). Somehow they survived the battery factory closing. I remember them getting a fair few geezers after their sessions at nearby "massage parlour" Pennys which was pretty amusing. Its actually called the Knife and Fork (but we call it Knf and fk cos of the way many letters were missing for years) and not the Titanic, they didnt really think through that slogan.... (Titanic cafe, unsinkable - didnt the titanic sink on its maiden voyage????). I guess it came from their comendable resiliance through the years. I mean I remember 15 or so years ago they thought theyd be gone due to bypass plans for the area, maybe they'll survive the latest ones eh I wouldnt mind an updated render with the knf and fk included, it has more character than any of the generic buildings planned....
Ah - that was it! I always confused the Knife & Fork with the Selly Sausage

Very odd about the Titanic - that thought crossed my mind more than once And whilst I'm on it, why is Brokeback Mountain known as "the gay COWBOY film" when they are sheep-herders

Back to the Knife & Fork - a local institution
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:19 AM   #39
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookoid_0
Dunno. I ******* despair. I mean, are they gutted that tens of millions of pounds are being spent on thier local area including regenerating wasteland and contaminated land from the battery factory, and diverting through traffic away from the centre, generating jobs and putting up the value of their homes?
Well, I live reasonably close to here and I know a few reasons why people are complaining:

- a loss of a nature reserve between the hospital & Selly Oak
- the council seem to be more interested in this redevelopment than they do with street crime, street maintenance, nuisance neighbours and local cleanliness
- the disruption the works will cause.

What they don't seem to realise is that:

- their local improvements will follow the kickstart to regeneration
- the extra money will help with policing as well focussing the powers that be on the issue
- traffic will drop significantly
- Selly Oak will actually be nice
- their house prices will rise once the new bit is complete
- they are getting larger Park & Ride facilities
- they will be able to use the canal
- no more negotiation the 8-lane super highway at the top end of Selly Oak.

Fair point about the nature reserve though.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM   #40
cookoid_0

Well I guess they may havea point, but I used to go running round/through that "nature reserve" and I rememeber it as being a bit of a dump. Full of rubbish etc. I bet most people didint even know it was there until this plan came about!