daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old February 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #101
VerticallyChallenged

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltip View Post
And some other exciting development in Selly Oak at the Selly Oak A & E hospital. I have a well placed military friend who works at the defence medicine unit based at selly oak hospital.

He has said the MOD has bought the whole Selly Oak hospital site and will be turning the hospital into Europes largest super military hospital.

Thats very exciting and confirms the internationally renknown medical centre QE and Selly Oak have been under University Health Trust.

With Aston's Pharacology and Pharaceutical departments, Birmingham's medical school (the largest in country) and this super military hospital we can establish brum as the leading medical centre in UK.
I hope you're right about this but I was under the impression that the MOD hospital was part of the Queen Elizabeth building programme and that the plans for Selly Oak Hospital envisaged selling the hospital site for about £70million and building as many extremely small houses and flats on the site as possible?
VerticallyChallenged no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #102
feltip

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticallyChallenged View Post
I have to actually negotiate the roads surrounding the Triangle on a regular basis and I reckon the last thing we need is for the place to be developed without taking some of the land away.
The roads on either side of the triangle are ludicrously narrow and when the city-bound traffic is diverted down Chappel Lane to the new bypass unless the roads are altered and widened the area will be gridlocked.
Does anyone have knowlege or plans of the new road lay-out proposed for that area and will the main Bristol Road through Bournbrook to Maryvale Road become one-way?
Before Sainsburys was built there was going to be the largest roundabout in Europe built to accomodate all the roads coverging on that part of Selly Oak, now that would have been something to see.
Well long term plan for Selly Oak is to be a road but with wide pavements and parking bays to make it almost pedestrianised in appearance with much more focus on the a village feel for Bournbrook.

On Selly Oak. It makes sense for MOD to be seperate to QE. They can then deal with even more military hospital care and rebuild it to be state of the art. Of course, doesnt preclude them re-selling land but my contact is reliable and involved as medic in Selly Oak. Would be good for development for housing et al but think it makes it more exciting to have the military hospital instead.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #103
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 65

Old February 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #104
Biosonic
Second Citizen

As the others have said, the Bristol Road will be single carriageway with parking bays to form a proper High St. Main traffic wil mostly use the new bypass.

Harborne Lane will become 2-way and Chapel Lane will be largely for access.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #105
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 1

Very interesting, Bio. Do you know where the by-pass will join the Bristol Rd towards town?
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #106
Steve-e-b

Likes (Received): 0

Woah
Thanks Bio, that's opened my eyes to how big this development is.

Like El Paulo it's also got me wondering where the by-pass continues when it leaves that masterplan.
Using the satellite images from Google maps, I'm thinking the obvious route is through the playing fields at Birmingham Uni, unless they knock down buildings on Dale Road ... or build a tunnel?
Steve-e-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #107
Scazmattaz
New to London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-e-b View Post
Woah
Thanks Bio, that's opened my eyes to how big this development is.

Like El Paulo it's also got me wondering where the by-pass continues when it leaves that masterplan.
Using the satellite images from Google maps, I'm thinking the obvious route is through the playing fields at Birmingham Uni, unless they knock down buildings on Dale Road ... or build a tunnel?
I get the impression a lot of people are still gonna try and use Chapel Lane; and that thats gonna turn into another carpark of congestion! Are they banning any of the turns at the Junction of Bristol Road / Chapel Lane?

Also a lot of existing traffic is still going to use the original Bristol Road as this we still be seen as the desire-line for traffic. I cant see this changing much. With all the new homes at this site, and the selly oak hospital; i can see the whole area grinding to a halt like it does on a Friday evening at the moment!
Scazmattaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #108
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Chapel Lane will still be open, but really it will only have use for access, people turning left (toward town) and going straight on. You wouldn't really use it to turn right.

AFAIK the Bristol Road/Harborne Lane junction will be reconfigured to direct traffic down Harborne Lane - it will be the priority. They are doing similar things up the road in Northfield.

One of the key things of the design is the split access across the site. The homes are accessed via a different road to Sainsbury's, so this will thin the traffic out. Combine that with the fact their is a local rail station, a bus station/interchange, good cycle access via the canal, and the bus routes on the Bristol Road, and I suspect we will see a pretty high non-car usage.
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #109
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paulo View Post
Very interesting, Bio. Do you know where the by-pass will join the Bristol Rd towards town?
It will come out near the Tesco Petrol Station further down. I don't know whether it has gone for planning, but there are plans to move it (slightly) to allow the roads to merge near the front of the uni.

It means that from the large island to the left of the picture, the railway and canal will pass over the road (viaduct AND aqueduct! ), QE traffic will turn left and town traffic will head straight on.

We should see the first part of the road (the stuff up to the large island I think) start soon as Sainsbury's are paying for it, and in a remarkable piece of joined-up thinking, the council want it to be brought forward so QE construction traffic can be taken off the public highway
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #110
Steve-e-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
... and in a remarkable piece of joined-up thinking, the council want it to be brought forward so QE construction traffic can be taken off the public highway.
That could be the first time I've heard the words "joined-up thinking" and "council" in the same sentence, without a negative clause being applied.

Does this mean the nature reserve, located between Selly Oak and the QE is going? Or shrinking?
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #111
VerticallyChallenged

Thanks for the information guys. It looks as if it's been thought out properly thank goodness.
Next question - gasps of horror - does anyone know if the new road planned many years ago to link the Stonehouse Lane/Jiggins Lane roundabout through to the new Selly Oak bypass is still possible?
The land to build it is still there to the rear of Osmaston Road.
I know the original plan was to build it right through to Five ways - those were the days when planners and councillors had ideas and the backbone to follow them through to a conclusion. It was of course the 'replacement plan' for the long abandoned Harborne Bypass.
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #112
VerticallyChallenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltip View Post
Well long term plan for Selly Oak is to be a road but with wide pavements and parking bays to make it almost pedestrianised in appearance with much more focus on the a village feel for Bournbrook.

On Selly Oak. It makes sense for MOD to be seperate to QE. They can then deal with even more military hospital care and rebuild it to be state of the art. Of course, doesnt preclude them re-selling land but my contact is reliable and involved as medic in Selly Oak. Would be good for development for housing et al but think it makes it more exciting to have the military hospital instead.

I'm all for retaining the Selly Oak site for the MOD complex.
It's about time Birmingham was allowed to be a centre of excellence in a high-tech area, roll on.
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #113
Sonny97

Living in Rubery and working in town I have to travel the length of the Bristol Road from Longbridge, through Northfield, Selly Oak, Edgbaston and into the heart of town. All along the way I see redevelopment, new roads, business parks, apartments, offices & shops already in various stages of construction.

And now with the huge Selly Oak project taking off with the Super Hospital to begin with, the A38 corridor is going to be a hive of activity of the next 10 years or so. Yes the traffic will be a nightmare, but my god its going to be worth it, especially Selly Oak which looks in desperate need of some TLC
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #114
Steve-e-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticallyChallenged View Post
Next question - gasps of horror - does anyone know if the new road planned many years ago to link the Stonehouse Lane/Jiggins Lane roundabout through to the new Selly Oak bypass is still possible?
The land to build it is still there to the rear of Osmaston Road.
I know the original plan was to build it right through to Five ways ...
Very interesting. I never knew all this was planned.
I'd imagine the road through round the back of Osmaston Road wouldn't go ahead anymore. Given that they'd have to culvert Bourn Brook I think it would be easier (and cheaper) to upgrade Quinton Road and extend that dual carriageway - or, better still, provide some off-road parking.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #115
Draly

Picture from icBirmingham 13-12-2006

Sainsbury's to the left (obviously), offices to the right incorporating the Battery building on Bristol Road.
At the side of the canal is the underground parking with ventilation slots.
Draly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #116
Shel
Dalek

Likes (Received): 16

Looks good. Thanks for the render.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #117
Draly

Temporary car park may be a kick start to the developments

Planning application S/01035/07/FUL in order to move an electricity pylon and place wires underground.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #118
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

Does look really good. Welcome Draly! Blimey, another new member! Brum really is buzzing now isn't it?
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #119
Draly

Hi blahblah et al, took me ages to signup to the site (failed attempts to lost activation e-mails), but I guess most people know of the occasional(?) site hiccups.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #120
Draly

Planning no S/07902/06/OUT
Environmental Statement Vol 2 Part 2 of 6

Plate 10.7B Proposed view from Bristol Road Bridge over Worcester and Birmingham canal

Plate 10.YB Proposed view from West corner of Selly Oak crossroads