daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #281

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr
I live in Sydney but travel regularly to Jakarta. I don't know who took my post and put it in the Manila forum - not me. Someone has taken it upon themselves.

I don't think this is evidence for Jakarta's "booming" economy at all. We all know that Jakarta has more malls than it knows what to do with. I just think that Jakarta could have created something for everybody in this space, which is one of the few vaguely civic spaces in the whole city. Instead the city has built another mall which it doesn't need. Why not a library or concert hall or some other cultural institution? Why does everything in Jakarta have to be about where you can buy Louis Vuitton (that said, the museum is a lot better than it used to be. But Jakarata needs more institutions like this if it wants to be taken seriously as a world city. Cities aren't just expensive apartments and malls. NO MORE malls in Jakarta!)
if jakarta had more malls than it knows what to do with, then all those malls would have probably peaced out by now... clearly there is a demand for all these malls, but i do agree that it needs more public civic spaces. but hey, all those malls and expensive shit are probably a part of jakarta's culture, so what to do?

Last edited by 627; April 25th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
627 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #282

plus, all my friends and family that grew up in jakarta say tthat jakarta is tons of fun compared to LA, and when i'd ask em why, theyd be like duh... theres this mall and that mall and these shops n those shops, so i guess malls are a big deal fo rjakartans.. jakarta is also a highly materialistic and consumeristic society, so that probably explains it. but i personally am not a mall person, id rather be doing something rather than dillydallying in a big crowded building, like maybe haul my ass over to the baech or go hiking or snowboarding or smoethign, but hey, people roll their own ways so who cares

n im going to jakarat this summer, which is pretty cool
627 no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #283
Alvin

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
I live in Sydney but travel regularly to Jakarta. I don't know who took my post and put it in the Manila forum - not me. Someone has taken it upon themselves.

I don't think this is evidence for Jakarta's "booming" economy at all. We all know that Jakarta has more malls than it knows what to do with. I just think that Jakarta could have created something for everybody in this space, which is one of the few vaguely civic spaces in the whole city. Instead the city has built another mall which it doesn't need. Why not a library or concert hall or some other cultural institution? Why does everything in Jakarta have to be about where you can buy Louis Vuitton (that said, the museum is a lot better than it used to be. But Jakarata needs more institutions like this if it wants to be taken seriously as a world city. Cities aren't just expensive apartments and malls. NO MORE malls in Jakarta!)
I respect your opinion but who are you to say that Jakarta needs no new malls? The developers are prepared to spend hundreds of millions of dollars investing in a project like this, clearly they are convinced that there is a market for it. If you've been to other major cities in Asia, notably HK and Singapore, you'll see that in fact Jakarta is not "over-malled" at all.

Having said that, I agree that there needs to be more museums, cultural centers, parks and public spaces in the city - but this is the responsibility of the government, not property developers. You cannot mix the two.
Alvin no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #284
XxRyoChanxX
holla holla hey!

Likes (Received): 14

as long as Jakarta is developing..im cool with that

Last edited by XxRyoChanxX; April 27th, 2006 at 12:56 AM.
XxRyoChanxX no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #285
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin
I respect your opinion but who are you to say that Jakarta needs no new malls? The developers are prepared to spend hundreds of millions of dollars investing in a project like this, clearly they are convinced that there is a market for it. If you've been to other major cities in Asia, notably HK and Singapore, you'll see that in fact Jakarta is not "over-malled" at all.

Having said that, I agree that there needs to be more museums, cultural centers, parks and public spaces in the city - but this is the responsibility of the government, not property developers. You cannot mix the two.
About six months ago I was at Mal Artha Gading in Kelapa Gading and it was so empty entire floors were like creepy ghost towns. Ther are other malls like this in Jakarata - they get built by kickbacks and corrpution and they have no reason to exist. Then they are abandoned and just fall apart. That probably won;t happen to one as central as this, but the fact remains that Jakarta's retail expansion is overheated. Futhermore, it should be the job of the government to buy up and set aside land for public use. But of course we all know that the Indonesian government is in league with developers - so Jakarata gets more malls and hotels and ordinary people get nothing.
shaggers_jr no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #286
F-ian

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
About six months ago I was at Mal Artha Gading in Kelapa Gading and it was so empty entire floors were like creepy ghost towns.
Ever thought that you we there when it was SOFT OPENING ? Mall Artha Gading is Wayyy NEW and Gargantuan you should go there now and see the Difference

and For Museums and Concert Halls and Cultural Centers Go to Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (Indonesia in Minature Park) there's even an Oil Musem There

Last edited by F-ian; April 25th, 2006 at 10:35 AM.
F-ian no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #287
Zorobabel
Awesomeness

Likes (Received): 2

I think he is comparing Jakarta to Western cities. In that sense, Jakarta does have a very high density of malls. However, compared to other East Asian Cities, particularly in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore, Indonesia's density of malls it not that spectacular. I've been to a lot of established malls in Jakarta and I've never, ever seen a deserted one. It's a major market of investment and people are taking advantage of that.

As far as the overall Jakartan economy is concerned, it's doing very well. The central and regional governments, which through their various appendages employ hundreds of thousands living in Jakarta, have been increasing salaries substantially. GDP growth for DKI Jakarta was over 6% in 2005, so while the city's economy is not quite booming, it's getting there.
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #288
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Likes (Received): 567

I don't think cultural institutions will be lucrative in cities like Jakarta. And besides, Indonesia is still a developing economy. So, it is more practical to build something that will be profitable -- the malls.

I still respect your opinion though. Gosh, I can't believe I'm defending Jakarta.
JustHorace no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #289
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by GluTTony

and For Museums and Concert Halls and Cultural Centers Go to Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (Indonesia in Minature Park) there's even an Oil Musem There

I seriously hope your joking. That place is not what I'd call a cultural institution. Furthermore, it is not the job of these institutions to be "profitable" - very few of them are anywhere in the world. It is the job of governments to foster these things and people in deveolping nations deserve them, and want them, just as much as Westerners.
shaggers_jr no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #290
paradyto
entendre privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRyoChanxX
as long as Jakarta in developing..im cool with that
So do I

posted by Blue_Sky (Semanggi Plaza)..

paradyto no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #291

Quote:
I seriously hope your joking. That place is not what I'd call a cultural institution. Furthermore, it is not the job of these institutions to be "profitable" - very few of them are anywhere in the world. It is the job of governments to foster these things and people in deveolping nations deserve them, and want them, just as much as Westerners.
OK we've all heard and agreed with your point, jakarta has no civic buildings/spaces. done. geez, cry me a goddamn river
627 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #292
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

Just gives Jakarta some time, this city is developing itself, we will wait and see its futute which is surely brighter and better.
Mosaic no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #293
ncon
Dangerous User

Likes (Received): 537

comming soon latest update list
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #294
XxRyoChanxX
holla holla hey!

yeah! plz post the latest list..
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #295
XxRyoChanxX
holla holla hey!

SUDIRMAN PARK

Old April 27th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #296
Naz UK
Back in Blighty

Location: Roswell, Area 51, Classified, United States of Americanisms.

Just wanted to say I think Jakarta is a great city and catching up fast with Singapore, and the current boom is just what Indonesia needs! Can't wait to see it all on my visit their hopefully soon.
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #297
ncon
Dangerous User

agree

Quote:
yeah! plz post the latest list..

errm nxt week can cos got some problem with my connection
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #298
ncon
Dangerous User

26 Apr 2006

Jacc,Grand Indonesia, Shangrila Residence

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #299
XxRyoChanxX
holla holla hey!

they should build something behind shangrala residence..look at that big space...
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #300
tata
there's no free lunch

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
they should build something behind shangrala residence..look at that big space...
yes you're right: a public park please.

Bus Rapid Transportation Database, BRT Part 1, BRT Part 2
tata no está en línea  

Closed Thread