daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #1461
IThomas

Scalo Milano City Style
Locate di Triuli | Milan urban area

design: Metrogramma
total area: 300,000 sqm + 4,000 parking spaces
see more info/pics > official thread

A new “style city” to the south of Milan will bring fashion, design and quality food and wine together in a single place. With 300 stores, Scalo Milano, will benefit from proximity to the city, with the S13 Passante suburban railway line making it reachable in just 20 minutes from Milan.

There are two planned phases for this project: the first focuses on making the two terraces of shops (with a gross leasable area of 43,000 sqm), while the second will increase the commercial space to 60,000 sqm.

The artistic direction and architectural design is being handled by Metrogramma Milano, an architecture and urban planning studio founded fifteen years ago by Andrea Boschetti and Alberto Francini.

Fashion meets functionality at Scalo Milano. In fact, the Fashion Village will occupy only three quarters of the allotted land, the rest will be dedicated to the Lifestyle Emporium and the Food Village.

NOMAD€ liked this post

Last edited by IThomas; November 29th, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #1462
Josedc

Likes (Received): 1168

Damn, Milan has a lot of awesome projects!

IThomas, NOMAD€ liked this post
Josedc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #1463
Green Hornet

Likes (Received): 84

IThomas well done on your work here.You are the voice of Milan.

I'll be in Milan next month for a couple of days.My 4th trip to the city although all short trips.Looking forward to seeing some of these projects.

My question is,is this level of development in Milan normal or has the city just exploded in recent years with various projects? Do you expect this level of developments to continue or slow down? Most of the projects seem to be away from the city centre area,do you expect any significant developments in the centre of Milan apart from opening up the canals?

Thanks
Green Hornet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #1464
IThomas

During the last years, the city of Milan has seen the development of great projects (designed by different archistar). Not only skyscrapers, but other residental, commercial and cultural buildings, as well as the redevelopment of some areas of the city limits area (181 sqkm) and its urban area.

The city has also developed a new green soul: more public transports (new metro lines, more car sharing -with low CO2 emission- or bike sharing, etc), new green spaces, pedestrian areas and more. What about culture? New museums like Fondazione Prada or Armani Silos are some examples. The events are a must. The city is vibrant.

Surely it is a great moment for Milan, but it is not over. In the last days has been announced that new parks and important projects (even new skyscrapers) will be developed in dismitted areas or places like the Expo area. The city will continue to change for sure.

Another keypoint to underline is that Milan has changed its rules. At the end of the process (started in January 2015), the city will be a sort of Greater London Authority, with about 5.5 million people (considering its +2,000 sqkm urban area). Milan is one of the richest and top EU cities, as London and Paris. This administrative change will ensure new investments, as well as autonomy and more efficiency on different topics like urban planning, transports, etc.

FelixMadero, Josedc, Union Man liked this post

Last edited by IThomas; September 25th, 2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old September 25th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #1465
Green Hornet

Thanks.That's very interesting.

These are interesting and exciting times for Milan.It's a shame other cities in Italy are not going through the same changes.The fact that Milan has autonomy considering how slow and corrupt things in Italy can be I hope will mean the city will fullfil it's potential.

It will be interesting to see how it develops.

IThomas liked this post
Old September 25th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #1466
IThomas

Rome, Florence, Turin, Venice, Naples, Bari, Reggio Calabria, Bologna are involved in the same process
BTW the strenght of Milan is a bit different. You come from the US? We can definite Milan as the Italian NYC Hope you understand what I mean.
Old September 25th, 2015, 01:52 AM   #1467
Green Hornet

No I don't come from the US.If I did I wouldn't even know where Milan was

I'm from the UK.I'm half italian.Yes I understand about NY.Manhatten,Queens,Brooklyn,Long Island,The Bronx. Milan centre is Manhatten and then you have the suburbs.I think that's what you are saying.

London is the same.If you drive 30 minutes from the centre they still call it London.

So you say these other cities are going through the same process.They will have autonomy also?However I assume they do not have the same current level of development as Milan?Also do you think they have the same competent people to move those cities forward? From what I know Rome at the moment for example is a mess.Totally disorganised.

BTW do you follow Dubai? I have for a number of years for various reasons and the developments over there are staggering.
Old September 25th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #1468
IThomas

Yeah, Milan is different because it could be considered the financial gateway of Italy, so it is more easy to have foreign investments. Speaking about Rome, the city has faced different problems in the last times: especially the ones linked to corruption affairs. But they are trying to "clean up" the situation.
Generally Italy is like a yardship: the government is changing some things, or at least they are trying to do it. For a long time Italy suffered due to the lack of great reforms, or - just to make a stupid example - new laws to make the country more competitive. BTW I'm confident. After all, Italy has seen the Renaissance era after a very bad period.

No, I don't follow Dubai developments, but I know they have great projects

Josedc liked this post
Old September 25th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #1469
Green Hornet

Keep up the good work.

I look forward to seeing Milan's progress through your post's.

IThomas liked this post
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:32 AM   #1470
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3596

Milan is only leading the way, other italian cities will follow the way, we're back in the race, brace yourself!
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #1471
Green Hornet

Has Italy ever been in the race? It's rare in Italy to see the types of modern and contemporary buildings/projects now being built in Milan. In all the times I've been to Italy I only remember old buildings,old houses etc.

It seems to me Italy is not in love with building anything.My parents bought a piece of land in southern Italy around 30 years ago and not once in that time have they had permission to build on it.
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #1472
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2209

Desperatly Italy in modern constructions things has never been in the race.
It is now they come GREATLY in the race as new comer.
And this is so great and delighful that they bring italian design like they deserve

In the world the "game changers" are new york , london Tokyo, Paris, dubai , hong kong.
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #1473
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3596

Of course Italy has been in the race! Italy was the only European country that built such a beautiful skyscrapers that even NY had to copy it! When? In 1958.
It's all about quality, not dubai-like massive building with massive number. The italianate modern design has always been there, now we're just spoiling the dust off our back from the last years!
I would say that 60-70-80 and even 90 wasn't great decades, but now the challenge is how to mix the past with the new, and how to transform what we've badly built in the past decades. Many interesting results may come soon...

IThomas liked this post
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #1474
Green Hornet

1958? That was so long ago I don't think you can count it.
Old September 26th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #1475
IThomas

Foreign hotel groups interested to invest in Milan

There's a race to open new hotels in Milan. The latest to open is the mid-priced Glam hotel facing Milan's Central Station. That area of the city is about to see a number of new arrivals, including a hotel from Melia of Spain and Israeli chain Fattal. Starwood is opening a W hotel in Brera, and there's intense speculation about a move by Asian luxury giant Shangri-la into Milan. The Tulip, Marriott, Millennium and Accor groups also have new projects in the works.

“Investors are very interested in Italy,” said Roberto Galano, manager of international consultancy Jones Lang LaSalle. Much of the cash infusion comes from the Middle East (Qatar and Abu Dhabi). The Chinese are moving into the Italian hospitality market as well, says Galano, and there's no sign that turbulence in China's financial markets is slowing the pace. The numbers look good.

Giorgio Bianchi of R&D Hospitality said a development plan for Milan that started in 2014 will see the additional of 2,500 new hotel rooms by 2016, citing data from an analysis that will be presented at a tourism convention in Bergamo on Sept. 25-26. He noted the expansion of the B&B chain in Milan and the Moxy project by Ikea and Marriott.
Old September 27th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #1476
Josedc

Likes (Received): 1168

I personally enjoy the diversity of Italy, allowing each city to have it's own personality and lure. Sure, there are corruption problems, but despite that, Italy is one of the biggest economies in the World. It's scientific output is still high. Just imagine how far Italians could go if the corruption problems were solved.

Hopefully, this will happen sooner rather than later.

Jasper90, Bradipo, IThomas liked this post

Last edited by Josedc; September 27th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.
Josedc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #1477
IThomas

Dossier: Expo site turns in the European version of Silicon Valley, MIT

milanopanoramica.com

The project provides the Expo site transformation thanks to a public-private partnership, estimated to cost over one billion euro (considering only the public investment). The Italian Government, the City of Milan, the Lombardy Region, the University of Milan, Assolombarda and other private companies are interested to turn the 1.7 million sqm area in a technology hub that could be seen as the European version of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology + Silicon Valley.

A high-level university campus with classrooms, libraries, services, sports facilities for students, spaces for emerging talents and more. In addition, the project aims to brings students from the benches of the scientific faculties to the creation of new high-tech companies, start-ups (that could determine the fate of the Italian industry in the coming years). Assolombarda has reported that different multinationals have already expressed the interests to give birth in the Expo area a number of research centers and technology incubators, where young graduates can work in joint ventures between universities and business.

A new pole of the agribusiness may also be included, thanks to the help of the Italian Agriculture Ministry. Among others, the Teatro La Scala in Milan has shown interest to build new spaces for high quality music.

Ulpia-Serdica liked this post

Last edited by IThomas; October 6th, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old October 8th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #1478
IThomas

New Apple store
Milan | Zone 1

American hi-tech company has decided to open a new Apple store in Milan historic center. It will be the 3rd official store in Milan urban area.

The project includes two iconic entrances to the store. The first, will be placed in Piazza del Liberty: it will be very similar to the famous crystal cube on the Fifth Avenue in New York City. This will permit to access to the giant store. The second is in the historic Cinema Apollo, close to Galleria De Cristofori. The Superintendence of Cultural Heritage asked Apple the preservation of the cinema screen, that could be used for presentations or events.

Last edited by IThomas; October 8th, 2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #1479
IThomas

New department store
Milan | Zone 1

Multiplex Odeon, with its elegant wood paneling, soft lighting and red chairs, is just a memory. La Rinascente has bought the cinema in via Santa Radegonda for 100 mln euros. A new department store is expected to open in 2017.

Simone77 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #1480
FelixMadero
armatissimi & liberissimi

Likes (Received): 6362

Amazing!

IThomas liked this post
FelixMadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
italia, italy, milan, milano