daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #261
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

So it seems as though the FIDM Tower is under construction.

From SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksep
it seems like to me that the FIDM project right behind the hanover tower is also beginning construction. i don't have a picture, but this morning, when i drove past the hanover site on my way to work, i noticed that the remainder of that lot was now also fenced in and there was a sign reading something about FIDM.
sorry for being so vague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
[/b]Wow! And I'm guilty of d'oh! once again. Your post made me look more closely at info that's been out there for months & months, & the site directly east of the Hanover tower has been described, even previously on this board (by LAMG), as reserved for the FIDM bldg.

I guess I didn't pay much attention to this proj because I wasn't sure whether FIDM's dorm bldg might end up a repeat of a cancelled apt bldg aimed at USC students originally planned for a site across from Staples. But is it possible that FIDM's bldg, in fact, is going to be under construction shortly!?? Is it possible there will be one less parking lot in the hood & two new bldgs going up side by side?!!

:tup: :tup:

So ignore my post above where I say I didn't realize the Hanover tower doesn't extend all the way east on the NORTH side of Olympic Blvd between Fig & Flower, & that the parking lot directly east of it therefore could use devlpt in the future. Or because of your description of that location, I should say that the future may be arriving sooner than I realized.

I found this on a web page, but I've just noticed something is wrong about it. The NE corner of Olympic & Flower is where the Metropolitan apt bldg is located. I think it's supposed to be the NW corner (I'm not the only one guilty of d'oh!):

* The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising is building 110 dormitory apartments and 65,000 square feet of classrooms and resource centers on the northeast corner of Flower Street and Olympic Boulevard.

* Hanover Financial, with partner Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. is building a 250-unit luxury apartment building at the northwest corner of Olympic and Figueroa Street.

[img]http://************/2iql4z[/img]

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #262
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

when is la live supposed to be complete?

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #263
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

I was at a Lakers game yesterday (they won) and the gate curtain said 2007.
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #264
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

I wouldn't even worry about when LA live is finished; they just started on it.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #265
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
So it seems as though the FIDM Tower is under construction.

From SSP:
So FIDM is under construction, I always kinda thought that it was just going to be one of those proposed towers only. I was totally wrong and i'm glad.......Woohoo!!!!!
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #266
godblessbotox
la is pritty

...well that is far from answering my question. i know they just started it, but i still want some kind of a projection

me+flickr=joy
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #267
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by godblessbotox
...well that is far from answering my question. i know they just started it, but i still want some kind of a projection
The first phase (just the Nokia theater and the retail portion) is scheduled to be completed in Spring or Summer of 2007, so don't expect it to open before June or July 2007. My guess is August at the earliest.

The entire complex (including the hotel tower and movie theaters) aren't supposed to be completed until 2009, and that was before the 3 month delay in announcing the financial backer of the hotel development. Hopefully they can accelerate this schedule to bring the hotel and it's housing units online into a strong market, but don't count on it. Construction (especially anything involving residential units) tends to trail 6 months behind the announced "open date". The one exception I've seen of this is Elleven, which looks like it should open on schedule.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #268
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Thank you sir...

me+flickr=joy
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #269
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Here are the new websites for Evo and LA Live!

http://evo-south.com/

http://www.aegworldwide.com/04_future/losangeles.html
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #270
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
Very cool, I would like to live in EVO. The only thing is are the units sold out????
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #271
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

No. Evo has yet to go on sale yet. Sales should start in April, but the waiting list is pretty long. Can't hurt to get on it, though.
Old February 17th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #272
alex3000
I'm not Chinese

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
Alex300, can't wait for the new pictures. When did you say you were going again? Monday?
Awww, I'm sorry dude... but I didn't go. I was going to go, though ( don't know if that helps. ).

I mean, I was even planning on making a thread to ask you guys if you wanted me to take pics of certain projects. But yeah, I didn't make the thead. It's just that I went to 3 parties on Fri, Sat, and Sun and I was way too tired to go on Monday to take pics. I don't have school next Monday either, so I'll probably go. I mean, I'm going to a party next Saturday, but I'll be full of energy to take pics on Monday. I heard it was going to rain, though... So, I guess it all depends on the weather. But yeah, chaces are I'll go take the pics next Monday morning.
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #273
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
No. Evo has yet to go on sale yet. Sales should start in April, but the waiting list is pretty long. Can't hurt to get on it, though.
DO you know about how much a basic 1+1 unit would run for???

Do you rent/lease or own???
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #274
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

They haven't released pricing yet, but based on market values, I would guess that the small 1+1 units (900 sq. ft) would start at somewhere in the $450 - $500K range. That's just a guess.

As for me, I own a small loft in the Higgins Bldg. on 2nd and Main. Or more accurately, the bank owns a small loft, and I pay them every month to live there.
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #275
raymond3000
Citywatch #2 lol j/k

Likes (Received): 7

hello my name is raymond and i finally thought i should apply here on the forums after all this time of just being a browser. I found out about SC a few months ago, but i was just a regular forum browser on SSP since like 2000. I had tried to sign up on SSP but its madd hard to do so because u have to have an official email address ( i have had my hotmail account since 1999) but i guess that is not good enough. Anyways im as anticiapted about the development and growth going on in Downtown LA like the rest of the heads on this forum are.

I went to the South Group Sales Center eariler today ok heres the rundown after talking the salesguy there:

*EVO has officially started construction, it broke ground officially 2 weeks ago and should be done in approx 24 months.

*LUMA is expected to be completed by April 2007 stating that after the 3 story podium is constructed that the tower will just basically rise overnite.

*FIG CENTRAL & SOUTH are expected to be underway breaking ground between May - July of this year SO by the Fall u will hopefully see all those lots facing STaples Center broken up and full of construction activity and yes even with the backout of KB Home he assured me that Lennar Project aka Fig Central is still a go.

*They plan to build a sales center for FIG SOUTH on Figueroa Street somewhere once they find a location that will work for them.

*Prior to original rumors, FIDM has NOT broken ground yet. But we here at SC will keep hope alive for sure.

*The 6th Tower details are still sketchy but hope to find out more soon.

*The EVO Sales Center will be ready in 4 weeks.

*Those warehouses on South's lot where the proposed park is suppose to go still will be there for a long time it seems as the owner still has not been moved even by the large amounts of money offered to him to buy his properties he still has resisted so There will be a pocket greenspace area instead between the warehouse bldg and LUMA which will be owned by the City and if he ever goes accept an offer, it is possible that those bldgs will be razed to further expand that greenspace into a pocket park.

*They plan to build a 2nd hotel after the Hilton Hotel is completed in LA Live

*Starbucks is a definite in 11

*Originally South was going to have a 4th Tower also but since the warehouses are there it was scrapped.

*oh yea and the most SADDEST ever Glass Tower is CANCELLED but BUT the land is still available for acquisiton hence the sign still being there on the site.

*Olive Lofts is still a go and will be built in the same parking lot as the parking structure being build for the Grand Lofts.

ok dats all i have for now but i will keep all the heads here informed if i can give some important info. 1
raymond3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #276
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Yeah..I talked to a friend of mine who knows alot about downtown's devlopment. He said that FIDM is NOT under construction..yet. He also said that they're still working on the design for Zen. And there is a very small chance for a 60 story building in South Park. And remember that 40 story 'aqua' themed tower that's supposed to go up next to Ralphs.

Can you imagine what September will look like? You are going to have cranes for Hanover, Concerto, Luma, Evo, LA Live, Fig Central/South, Olive Street Tower, and Metropolis.

Old February 17th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #277
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond3000
*The 6th Tower details are still sketchy but hope to find out more soon.
When I spoke to the sales guy at the South Sales Center about three months ago, he said that the 6th Tower would most likely be in the 40-story range, but that nothing was set in stone. He didn't expect it to go higher, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond3000
*oh yea and the most SADDEST ever Glass Tower is CANCELLED but BUT the land is still available for acquisiton hence the sign still being there on the site.
This is the first time we've heard about a cancellation. And last I checked (last Saturday) the sign had been taken down.
Old February 18th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #278
redspork02

Is the Glass Tower The one that was going to have the Observation deck?

Last edited by redspork02; February 18th, 2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old February 18th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #279
redspork02

Report: Construction Costs For Downtown L.A. To Reach $12.2 Billion

POSTED: 6:41 pm PST February 16, 2006
UPDATED: 7:05 pm PST February 16, 2006

LOS ANGELES -- The ongoing downtown development boom that includes housing and cultural projects eventually will have construction costs of $12.2 billion and will create about 174,000 jobs in the county, according to a new economic report released Thursday.

The report by the Los Angeles Economic Development Corp. found that 6,994 downtown residential units have been renovated or built since 1999 and another 100 projects will create about 19,500 new apartments or condominiums by 2015.

The projects include the $1.7 billion "L.A. Live!" project near the Staples Center, which is currently under construction. Plans call for a hotel, live theater, movie multiplex, museum and restaurants at the site.

The $1.8 billion Grand Avenue project near Disney Concert Hall also will include new high-rises, retail outlets and a 16-acre downtown park.

The South Group of developers also has three new high-rise condominium projects under construction called Elleven, Luma and Evo in the southern part of downtown that will account for more than 700 new condominiums when completed.

http://www.nbc4.tv/money/7134374/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #280
raymond3000
Citywatch #2 lol j/k

Likes (Received): 7

Da sales guy told me that the glass tower was cancelled for unspecified reasons by the owner himself and that he has placed the land back on market for acquisition by other intrested buyers. I had walked in the area around South, Ralphs and Sky lofts and I myself saw the sign still there at the norteast corner of the intersection yesterday. I'm hoping that maybe if some intrested buyer buys the property dat we will get something perhaps even more better than the glass tower even though it really would've been an extremely nice tower to have graced the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
When I spoke to the sales guy at the South Sales Center about three months ago, he said that the 6th Tower would most likely be in the 40-story range, but that nothing was set in stone. He didn't expect it to go higher, though.

This is the first time we've heard about a cancellation. And last I checked (last Saturday) the sign had been taken down.
raymond3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote