daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #341
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

Thanks Threehundred for the update.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #342
LANative
Smile!

delete.
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #343
George_Castanza
www.Gobi-Igloo.com

Likes (Received): 1

problems with elementary constructions?

This thread is very much (jarringly) resonant of my, admittedly or with some hope [because] within a specific sampling only -- (I hope that makes a difference , and that extrapolating from too little data, hereto, would be specious) -- experiences with the people of L.A., for whom the buildings, I presume, are designed, financed, and built, yes?

Maybe elementary schools too, please?

q.v.:
Quote:
Yeah if no one has nothing** good or positive to say here, stay out of the thread**. (my annotations --G.C.)
"Don't jump and make trouble." -- Lenny Bruce, "Live at Carnegie Hall" [to delinquents/hoodlums up in the cheap seats, spouting anti-civilization-speak.] Does a person have to travel to Rotterdam or Amsterdam to hear English spoken? Or to get an empirical sense of the best and highest use for fabulous magnificently well-constructed cities, Viz.: bonhomie and the development of human excellence[**?]
In times of change and danger when there is a quicksand of fear under men's reasoning, a sense of continuity with generations gone before can stretch like a lifeline across the scary present. —John Dos Passos, 1941
George_Castanza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #344
latennisguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Castanza
This thread is very much (jarringly) resonant of my, admittedly or with some hope [because] within a specific sampling only -- (I hope that makes a difference , and that extrapolating from too little data, hereto, would be specious) -- experiences with the people of L.A., for whom the buildings, I presume, are designed, financed, and built, yes?

Maybe elementary schools too, please?

q.v.:

"Don't jump and make trouble." -- Lenny Bruce, "Live at Carnegie Hall" [to delinquents/hoodlums up in the cheap seats, spouting anti-civilization-speak.] Does a person have to travel to Rotterdam or Amsterdam to hear English spoken? Or to get an empirical sense of the best and highest use for fabulous magnificently well-constructed cities, Viz.: bonhomie and the development of human excellence[**?]
whaaAAaat? maybe i'm tired..but I didn't get your comment
latennisguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #345
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

What the **** did he say?
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #346
LANative
Smile!

What the hell is this George guy talking about? Lay off the drugs before you come online.
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #347
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Thats just how people talk on the east coast.
TroyBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #348
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

...massive confusion

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #349
soup or man
Avant Garde

Added the new LAPD Headquarters.
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #350
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

42 story residential proposed for CC! thats 4 towers of 37, 42, 47(?) and 47(?) proposed for Century City now, another area of LA taking off and getting in the High Rise Living game!

Business News

Condos for Those Who Live to Shop?
Westfield plans to add 260 luxury units at its Century City mall by razing an officer tower.
By Roger Vincent, Times Staff Writer
March 15, 2006

It seems like some people live at the mall. Now, they can.

Shopping center owner Westfield Group announced plans Tuesday to add 260 luxury condominiums at its Century City mall by razing two office buildings to create more space for the condos and new stores.

The $500-million project reflects a trend in which malls are being transformed into self-contained villages. From California to Massachusetts, the largest mall operators are looking for ways to stack housing within their shopping centers.

In Southern California, where housing sites are more scarce than a bargain home, the trend is taking off. Projects have been built in or are planned for Pasadena, Glendale and Playa Vista.

Public officials and planners often support such dense development because it creates urban communities with shopping, housing and entertainment that are alternatives to conventional suburban neighborhoods. Many nearby homeowners fear that the bigger malls would cause traffic congestion and diminish their quality of life.

But Peter Lowy, head of U.S. operations for Westfield, argued Tuesday that by eliminating office space, the Sydney, Australia-based company would reduce the number of car trips people take in and out of workplaces in Century City. Trips created by the housing and shopping would be less likely to take place at peak commuting hours, he said.

Westfield, the largest shopping center owner in California, bought the 42-year-old Century City property in 2002 when it was "a dated outdoor mall," by Lowy's reckoning. The company has completed much of a $150-million makeover that includes new theaters, a new restaurant area and additional stores.

The latest proposal calls for dismantling Gateway West, a 14-story tower completed in 1963 that was one of the first office buildings in Century City. The tower is at the southwest corner of Avenue of the Stars and Santa Monica Boulevard.

It would be replaced with three stories of shops and a 42-story tower that would include three floors of office space and 260 condominiums. Prices for the units wouldn't be set until their projected completion in 2010 or 2011. Current prices for some condos in Century City top $2 million. It will take Westfield at least a year to get the development approved by the city.

A new three-level collection of stores would be created south along Santa Monica Boulevard and elsewhere in the mall, adding 360,000 square feet of shops and increasing the retail space by more than one-third.

Westfield plans to knock down the five-story office building at the northeast corner of Century Park West and Constellation Boulevard built in 1966 and replace it with a five-story parking structure. The project would add a combined 1,760 parking spaces.

"You're re-creating, in effect, a town center," said John McIlwain, a senior fellow at the Urban Land Institute, a land-use think tank in Washington. "I think it's a smart thing to do for the community. L.A. needs as much housing as it can find in appropriate places."

Planners are focusing less on living and working at the same site and more on offering services and entertainment to residents after they come home and park their cars, McIlwain said.

"People change their jobs more than they do their houses now," he said.

Los Angeles City Councilman Jack Weiss, whose district includes Century City, said the project would improve the neighborhood's appeal as a Westside destination and add life to the "sterile" office district that mostly empties out after dark.

"When someone wants to invest a half a billion dollars in the neighborhood, it's a rising tide that lifts everyone," Weiss said.

Shopping center developer Rick Caruso said he wished he had included housing when he built the Grove a few miles away in 2002. Instead, an apartment developer across the street cashed in on the Grove's popularity. Caruso says he plans to include residences in his projects whenever he can.

"It's all driven by demand from consumers," including young professionals and adults whose children have left the nest, Caruso said. "The No. 1 request we get from people at the Grove is whether they can live there."

Caruso intends to build luxury housing in his malls in Glendale, Playa Vista and Albany, Calif. He dropped plans for housing at his planned project in Arcadia after opponents including Westfield said the new residents would strain local schools.

Housing with malls probably wouldn't work in a suburban setting, Caruso said, but Century City would be an attractive place to live. "If Westfield builds a good product, I think they will do well," he said.

Nearby homeowner Stacy Antler is apprehensive, however, about the potential effect of development at the shopping center and other sites in Century City. Two other condominium projects including more than 600 units are in planning stages.

"We are heading toward the status of Manhattan, where everything is completely gridlocked and no one can get in and out anywhere," said Antler, a longtime resident of Cheviot Hills. "How is this manageable? Are they going to give everybody a jet pack?"

Westfield's plan is an example of how traditional malls can prosper and stave off the demise predicted for them because of the mini-mall, department store closures and the rise of outdoor centers like the Grove, said Patrice Duker, a spokeswoman for the International Council of Shopping Centers. "It shows the regional mall is not an antiquated model," she said.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #351
3Ironhead3

Likes (Received): 21

It's a bit off topic.But you guys should see the new Pike in Long Beach.I think it opened about a year ago.That was a major construction project,it's really nice down there now and there's more to come.
3Ironhead3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #352
soup or man
Avant Garde

CC can seriously become an awesome place.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #353
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ironhead3
It's a bit off topic.But you guys should see the new Pike in Long Beach.I think it opened about a year ago.That was a major construction project,it's really nice down there now and there's more to come.

Why don't you post some pix?
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #354
3Ironhead3

Likes (Received): 21

Sorry I don't have any.I was just posting a thought and LB IS part of Los Angeles.
3Ironhead3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #355
Robert Stark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I went DWNT yesterday but I still did not see any highrise development. I was around the staple center/Pico Union area.
Robert Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #356
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Hanover, Evo, Luma, Elleven, LA Live are all under construction. However, Only Luma and Elleven are above ground, with Hanover and LA Live both big ass holes.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #357
soup or man
Avant Garde

Only buildings currently under construction in downtown LA is Hanover (the crane is under construction if not already completed), Market Lofts, Luma, Evo, LA Live, and Colburn up on Bunker Hill.

You can't expect to see buildings pop up over night. Besides, it'll be better for people move into the buildings that are recently completed (Pakard Lofts, Savoy, Met Lofts) before any new ground up projects.
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #358
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Photo Update - March 18, 1006

For everyone asking for pictures, my snowboarding trip got cancelled this weekend, so here you go. It started to rain at the end of my walk, but it was well worth it for the dramatic skies. Enjoy!

Colburn Expansion
Looks like two more floors to go.

Hotel Demo
Forgot the name of this hotel on 8th and Fig, but it's coming down fast...

Hanover Tower
There's a massive amount of rebar that must be for another foundation or something, because it's too close to the original concrete to be a second floor of parking. Still no tower crane yet, but the base is in place.

Ralph's
Formwork is up for the third floor on the west side of the site. Talk about fun skies...

LA Live
A very quick and dirty pano of the site. Lots going on here.

Some foundation markings for the southeast corner. Note how they've dug a bit deeper here.

Some serious above ground columns. Is this already the beginning of the Nokia Theater?

Luma
Looks like they've finished the podium levels and are starting to work on the first level of tower columns.

A close-up on the first tower columns.

The podium for Luma now matches up with Elleven's podium.

Elleven
Getting very close to completion, but still a lot of work to go. Lots of facade work left at the very top and at the street level, but the building is looking very nice, and the glass dances well with a dynamic sky...

Luma
Work has officially begun on Luma. They were driving sheet piles around the perimeter today at 4:50pm. They've driven piles around about 70% of the site.

Oh, and I stopped at Roy's for a quick bite to eat. Very good seafood, but somewhat expensive, and portions are somewhat small. Still, I'd recommend it for a nice dinner. Cute hostess too.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #359
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1377

It will be an excellent addition to the city downtown, hope I'll find an opportunity to go to LA and to see everythin' by myself
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #360
soup or man
Avant Garde

Regarding LA Live: Where exactly will the Hilton go?