daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #101
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

That impression is excellent.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #102
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

I always hear about Metropolis, Metropolis, Metropolis does anyone have any pix of the final design of these towers??????
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #103
latennisguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES
Still a really goood rendering. It rocks, thanks for it.
thanks

Quote:
I always hear about Metropolis, Metropolis, Metropolis does anyone have any pix of the final design of these towers??????
I've only seen the old one.
latennisguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #104
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

For a minute, I thought I was the only one who had no clue, for the final design of Metropolis.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #105
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

Im sure theres a few people that didn't know the final design of the Metropolis because I didn't know either.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #106
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

its not out yet, but as soon as it gets released ill post it here. its four towers by the way, of 55, 46, 42 and 30. im pretty sure those are the floor counts.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #107
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

I think the future will look great for LA especially it's business districts!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #108
Liwwadden

Likes (Received): 58

LA is rising! :p
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #109
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Is it true that KB homes is going to built a 50 story L-shape tower in downtown????

Has anyone heard anything yet????
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #110
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

I've never heard of the L shaped tower from KB homes. Is it a new proposal?
If you want to see how the Metropolis Towers look like go to the SSP diagrams. go to citis and choose LA. Notice that the tallest Metropolis Tower is going to be the third tallest building in LA. Probably since the California Plaza 2 [the tall one] is 750 feet and it is the city's 3rd tallest and it looks almost the same size as the Metropolis Phase 1, Metroppolis Phase 1 is going to be like 755 feet tall!
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #111
LosAngelesSportsFan

KB is taking over financing for Apollo on the LA Live hotel. it will add about 140 condos to the total, so it will be 1100 hotel rooms and 250 condos. the shape of the hotel is changing to an "L" and its going to be around 50 - 55 stories.
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #112
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

Really, that's really interesting. But if it has the same number of hotel rooms and it has 250 condos, does it meant it's going to be taller? Or are they going to build that one small building next to it? Interesting to see how this develops.
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #113
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
KB is taking over financing for Apollo on the LA Live hotel. it will add about 140 condos to the total, so it will be 1100 hotel rooms and 250 condos. the shape of the hotel is changing to an "L" and its going to be around 50 - 55 stories.
So let me get this straight, KB is still going to build that 40 story high rise across from Staples?
So the L shape is the new Hilton Hotel that will sit on the LA Live Plaza. If that's the case that means that the Hotel, got the go ahead to be built, right????
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #114
LosAngelesSportsFan

here is an article on this. it should clear everything up.

Convention Center Hotel Hits $625 Million

KB Homes to Partner With AEG on Stalled South Park Tower

by Kathryn Maese

Homebuilder KB Home signed on last week to be a partner in the planned 1,100-room Convention Center hotel next to Staples Center. The announcement jumpstarted a deal that had stalled late last year when the previous financial partner suddenly backed out.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa last Thursday joined officials from KB Home and Anschutz Entertainment Group to announce a new deal for the Convention Center headquarters hotel in South Park. Photo by Gary Leonard.

Overlooking the construction site where the 50-story hotel and condo tower will rise, city leaders and developer Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) last Thursday said KB Urban - a division of the parent company - will help build and finance the structure that is now expected to cost $625 million, according to AEG officials.

"The partnership of KB Home and AEG are committed today to be 50-50 partners on the ownership and development of the hotel," said AEG President and Chief Executive Tim Leiweke. "There will be no more speculation, no more false starts, no more people saying it will never happen."

The project is expected to be finished in three years, Leiweke said. To cut down on costs, ground is already being turned for the hotel's foundation. That is happening concurrently with the L.A. Live sports and entertainment district, which is on schedule to open its first phase in 2007. L.A. Live will frame the hotel with restaurants, retail and nightlife.

The headquarters hotel has been redesigned to include an L-shaped structure at the base of the property. That will hold 900 rooms while 200 luxury rooms will be located in the tower.

The original deal called for Wolff Urban Management and Apollo Real Estate Advisors to work on a hotel to be operated by Hilton Hotels Corp. Now, Leiweke said AEG and KB Home are negotiating with four would-be operators: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott and Westin. A final selection is expected within two months.

The biggest change in plans comes in the number of condominiums planned for the tower's upper floors; instead of the original 100, the project will now feature 250 high-end units.

The residential element fits with KB Urban's new strategy to build in dense urban settings. The group opened an office in Downtown Los Angeles last October, at the same time it announced plans to partner with mega-builder Lennar Corp. on two high-rise residential towers across the street from Staples Center. KB's involvement in that project has since been withdrawn.

"We think this [hotel] is going to be one of the landmark buildings in Southern California," said KB Home Chairman and Chief Executive Bruce Karatz. "I think we've got all the elements to make this an extremely successful development."

In November Apollo Real Estate Advisors, which had agreed to finance the Hilton-operated hotel with $60 million, backed out of the arrangement over escalating costs. The hotel's price had been pegged at about $450 million, but has risen sharply in the last year due to soaring costs for raw materials.

Lew Wolff of Wolff Urban Management, which was part of the original deal, will act as an advisor on the hotel project.

The hotel has long been envisioned as the centerpiece of the six-block L.A. Live project unfolding around Staples Center. Tourism officials say the headquarters hotel will enable them to shore up lagging convention business and compete with other big convention cities for high-profile events.

"We're going to give you the ammunition to win the war," Leiweke told officials from the city's convention and visitors bureau. "We're going to give you the environment you need to be successful and we're going to have a massive impact on the rest of the Downtown hotels."

L.A. Live, which broke ground Sept. 15, is being built as a magnet for locals, conventioneers and tourists. The first phase will include the 7,100-seat Nokia Theatre, which will host live events. The restaurants, clubs, cineplex, retail and other entertainment venues will open in spring 2008, with the hotel and condos coming online the following year.

"This hole is emblematic of the commitment of AEG," said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, pointing to the construction site below. "From the very beginning, when the deal fell through, one could have argued that the construction should have stopped. But they were committed and they kept on building."

Contact Kathryn Maese at [email protected]
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #115
LosAngelesSportsFan

Also, another tower is going up!! its right next to the Ralphs Market site, 40 stories and it will break ground in March.
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #116
latennisguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
Also, another tower is going up!! its right next to the Ralphs Market site, 40 stories and it will break ground in March.

What tower is this?
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #117
latennisguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism
For a minute, I thought I was the only one who had no clue, for the final design of Metropolis.

Look at what I found!

A new rendering of METROPOLIS! (i think)

Last edited by latennisguy; January 14th, 2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #118
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by latennisguy
Look at what I found!

A new rendering of METROPOLIS! (i think)

Looks awfully short to be 55 stories. So do you think this the final design?
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #119
latennisguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism
Looks awfully short to be 55 stories. So do you think this the final design?
probably not. I was just excited to find a different rendering than the original one from 100 years ago.
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #120
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Hope not, they look like 4 skeletons just chillin!!!!!