daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #121
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Hmm..aren't those short?

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #122
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

Those towers look for like a country who can't afford any good materials.
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #123
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Btw at least that's something. The towers may be short, but they will add density to the north of LA Live. Btw maybe they're are the right floors just that they're lower because they're residential.
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #124
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

That's great. The towers will definitely impact the skyline.

Last edited by Westsidelife; January 15th, 2006 at 12:32 AM. Reason: repetition
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #125
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

I like the new rendering a lot more! Though it's a shame that DTLA will mostly consist of modern architecture. The present downtown wasn't built large enough so there won't be a balance of styles. latennisguy, could you put a new rendering with metropolis in it(new rendering)?
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #126
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
latennisguy, could you put a new rendering with metropolis in it(new rendering)?
Yea latennisguy that would be great. Also see if you can find something on Grand Ave as well......
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #127
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

The tower look like a resort. A new rendering would be the hottest thing around. Hope you can get that.
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #128
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

It's incredible we have not gotten the Zen Tower renderings. For you that don't know about Zen Tower it is 50 story residential tower at 3rd and Hill on the southeast corner. That spot was originally reseved for 3 California Plaza in the early 90s. Zen Tower is a serious proposal, but none of us knows how it looks. This is killing me.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #129
soup or man
Avant Garde

Seems as though LA has a habit of releasing a rendering extremely close to when construction is going to start on that building.
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #130
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES
It's incredible we have not gotten the Zen Tower renderings. For you that don't know about Zen Tower it is 50 story residential tower at 3rd and Hill on the southeast corner. That spot was originally reseved for 3 California Plaza in the early 90s. Zen Tower is a serious proposal, but none of us knows how it looks. This is killing me.
Agreed
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #131
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

What about the Grand Ave project? Anyone have a update on that.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #132
soup or man
Avant Garde

Read this:

Calif Real Estate Journal, Jan 3, 2006

Changing the Destiny of 1100 Wilshire

Lucky for Forest City Residential West that it has had much greater success with the 37-story building it's converting from office space to luxury condominiums at 1100 Wilshire in downtown Los Angeles than did its predecessor. The residential development company purchased the building from a wealthy Taiwanese developer who constructed the property using feng shui principles. Despite the creative design of the building, it sat nearly empty for 16 years with 10 percent occupancy.

Forest City has sold 70 percent of the 228 units and reconstruction isn't slated for completion until April, said Greg Lebon, project manager for Forest City. The first tenants will be able to begin moving in in March.

People who were hoping to own an entire floor in the triangular-shaped glass building will have to settle for less than a 12,000-square-foot unit, however, said Lebon. The giant-size units to be priced in the $10 million to $12 million range are likely to be left out of the project not for lack of interest but just because Forest City has not marketed that model aggressively, he said. Prices range from $400,000 for 550-square-foot units to $3.5 million for 4,000-square-foot penthouses. Redevelopment started in February 2005. RAD Management, Hampton Development and TMG Partners are development partners in the project.

Multi-Phase Downtown Project in Holding Pattern

In just over a year, dirt could begin to fly on the development that has been touted by city officials as the one to give Los Angeles its center. Site work is expected to begin in early 2007 on the first phase of Grand Avenue, an $1.8 billion project with upscale shopping and high-rise condominiums as well as a 16-acre public park, said William Witte, president of Related Cos. of California. Witte expects to have final environmental-impact report and California Environmental Quality Act approvals by late summer 2006. The first phase, which calls for 1.1 million square feet of development on a four-acre parcel across from Disney Concert hall, is slated for completion by summer 2009.

The project planned for the loft district will be surrounded by some of the city's leading arts and cultural institutions, including the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Music Center. Grand Avenue will have 400,000 square feet of retail, a 275-room hotel and up to 2,600 residential units. The master plan includes a shopping center, bookstore, multiplex movie theater and gourmet supermarket. It also has a terraced park connecting Bunker Hill to the Civic Center. The first phase of the development, expected to cost $500 million, will be built on the four-acre parcel directly across the street from the Walt Disney Concert Hall. This phase also includes the construction of a collection of restaurants, clubs and art galleries to be spread throughout the complex.

The site makes use of the downhill slope from Grand Avenue to City Hall by spreading the uses over several integrated levels. Related will also construct in this phase a 40- to 50-story tower at the corner of Second and Grand featuring a 275-room hotel with 200 condominiums on the upper levels. Anther tower, 20 to 30 stories high, with 150 market-rate condominiums and 88 affordable apartments, will be built at the corner of Olive and First streets. Witte has told the CREJ previously that the project was designed so that the majority of the activity occurs in the first phase. Plans for phases two and three are more residential, retail and entertainment and possibly an office building, but all is contingent on the city.

The vision for the Grand Avenue project began almost five years ago, when the Grand Avenue Committee was formed to study possible uses for the city-owned site. Related Cos. prevailed in a request-for-proposal process that pitted the company against Forest City Development. In May, the Los Angeles Grand Avenue Authority voted to approve The Related Cos. master plan for a 16-acre civic park and a 3.5 million-square-foot development on nine acres.

South Village Development Hits Economic Snags

When developers plan a multi-phased project like the $500 million development of South Village, some features are bound to change along the way. Rising construction costs sent CIM Group officials back to the drawing board on its South Village Development project. The end result, apartments became condominiums in the project's second phase, and an apartment component in the first phase became the affordable segment of the project. "The change to for-sale housing changed the financial structure allowing CIM to go ahead with the project," said Karen Diehl, a CIM spokeswoman.

The changes resulted in a trip back through the Community Redevelopment Agency to get approvals for the change in plans. The end note is that rather than having a grand opening in third quarter 2005 for the second phase, the condominiums and Ralphs grocery are slated to open in spring 2007. The second phase of the 7.2-acre project includes 267 condominiums and 56,000 square feet of retail space located at Eighth, Ninth, Flower and Hope streets.

Officials said that South Village's $110 million second phase, called the Market Lofts, would feature six levels of loft-style condominiums above a 50,000-square-foot Ralphs supermarket and 6,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space. Retail stores Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Quiznos, Coldstone Creamery and a UPS Store have signed leases, according to officials. Two remaining spaces are in discussions with prospective tenants.

CIM selected the Lee Group to develop the condominiums. CIM completed the first phase of the five-phase development at South Village in early 2004 with the opening of the 251-unit Historic Gas Co. Lofts, which are now more than 95 percent leased. CIM designated 53 of the 251 units affordable. The multi-block project is being developed in four phases and will include 1,200 units of rental and for-sale housing along with restaurants and other retailers.
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #133
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Can you guys remember winer 02', and how it just happened. That's how long the Grand Av Project is going to take.
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #134
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES
Can you guys remember winer 02', and how it just happened. That's how long the Grand Av Project is going to take.
So it starts in a year. So what? You have to understand that there are about 5 buildngs in the whole Grand Ave project. Frank Gehry is just one of the architects. Plus we have to know wheather or not the county buildings are going to be destroyed to make the park. It's a long process.

I wonder what the new Hilton is going to look like.
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #135
LANative
Smile!

5 towers is great. I heard one of them is a tall tower I think and it has a spire I think.
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #136
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANative
5 towers is great. I heard one of them is a tall tower I think and it has a spire I think.
No Spire, I heard LA Highrises have to have helipads. I wonder if this is ever going to change?

Hey (LAN) I thought it was 6 towers???
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #137
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANative
If you mean this tower then that's not it. That was a pelimanary design. The one Gehry is designing will look different. But it will be a tall tower. Most likely it'll be between 45-65 stories tall (500-750 ft tall). And remember LA's flat roof law.

Old January 20th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #138
LANative
Smile!

^Yeah thats the one. I had a strong feeling that wasn't the final design due to the helipad rule. Well thanks for the update.
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #139
LANative
Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism
No Spire, I heard LA Highrises have to have helipads. I wonder if this is ever going to change?

Hey (LAN) I thought it was 6 towers???
I think its five towers but could be six. But I read it was five towers but who knows?
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #140
latennisguy

Likes (Received): 0

Did anyone else see the skyscraper that Gehry design for the Walt Disney Concert Hall? It was in one of his various proposals...the city asked him to do it right next to the concert hall, but then changed it's mind. I threw away the magazine I found that in....anyone have it? It was in Architectural Records....I'll look for it anyway...maybe it's around.
latennisguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote