daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #161
900Biscayneguy

Likes (Received): 565

That is Hollywood Florida!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #162
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

thats hollywood, florida
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #163
Feep

Likes (Received): 0

deleted
Feep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #164
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
I don't know if this was posted yet but here is the future Hilton Hotel.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?15649894
No it isn't. That was the first design. The Hilton is going to be restyled into a L shaped building.
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #165
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
This is from the Miami forum:

Trump is building in Hollywood. Finally, we need people like him here.
Trump needs to check himself, for not building here in LA. Some needs to e-mail and let him what's happening Downtown. Besides the tower for Hollywood Florida is only going to be 40 levels, that's not Trump material!!!!
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #166
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Anyways, my bad. But i'm glad the hilton won't be another tacky building. I can't wait for it to be up.
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #167
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

delete
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #168
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
^ I don't think anyone knows what Metropolis will look like. I mean this rendering was posted not too long ago and I'm not sure that this is Metropolis seeing as how the current project calls for towers between 30-50 stories and those shown look to be 35 stories all around.

Well this is definately a new rendering, and it looks very much like the work of the Gruen assoc. Although i hope this is a rough draft, there is talk of the final phase, (phase 4) of this development to be a 39 story office tower. But isn't there supposed to be a 54 story residential tower in the new concept?

I know the overall size of the site is modest,so it would seem to me that the towers would be a bit more slender, and not so large a floorplate as shown in this rendering. In any case this site will become very dense with this development.

I'm drawing a concept,(fictitious of course!) for a 38 story office tower, for the south/west corner of Francisco and eighth st., to be called 800 francisco, (behind the 801 tower) it's on a superelevated base, and will almost (real close) be as tall as the 777 tower.
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #169
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism
Trump needs to check himself, for not building here in LA. Some needs to e-mail and let him what's happening Downtown. Besides the tower for Hollywood Florida is only going to be 40 levels, that's not Trump material!!!!
Yeah Trump doesn't know what he's missing here! Trump needs to check out Downtown L.A. and see whats happening.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #170
latennisguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1
Well this is definately a new rendering, and it looks very much like the work of the Gruen assoc. Although i hope this is a rough draft, there is talk of the final phase, (phase 4) of this development to be a 39 story office tower. But isn't there supposed to be a 54 story residential tower in the new concept?

I know the overall size of the site is modest,so it would seem to me that the towers would be a bit more slender, and not so large a floorplate as shown in this rendering. In any case this site will become very dense with this development.

I'm drawing a concept,(fictitious of course!) for a 38 story office tower, for the south/west corner of Francisco and eighth st., to be called 800 francisco, (behind the 801 tower) it's on a superelevated base, and will almost (real close) be as tall as the 777 tower.
post a pic of your concept when you get a chance...renderings are always cool
latennisguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #171
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

Associated Press
The Greystone Group is expanding into residential urban developments with its Library Court apartment complex being built in downtown Los Angeles.
LOS ANGELES - Suburban home builders are beginning to follow the lead of suburbanites, who are returning to cities in increasing numbers.
Two of the nation's top subdivision builders have opened new units dedicated solely to building in urban cores.

What suburban developers John Laing Homes and KB Home are quickly learning, however, is that building up isn't the same as building out.

"It isn't like building one house," said Jeffrey Gault, president of KB Home's new KB Urban division. "You've really got to do a lot of forward planning. Once you start, you can't change."

One new KB Home joint venture is a condo and retail high-rise across from Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. Laing Homes' urban group has a handful of multiuse residential building projects pending in Hollywood.

Builders say they are following the market, responding to an increase in antigrowth sentiment in the 'burbs and informal surveys that show people want shorter commutes and access to downtown culture and entertainment.

"There's a pull from the attractiveness of city living, and there's a push from the traffic and congestion," said John McIlwain, senior resident fellow at the Urban Land Institute.

The move by subdivision builders into cities is contributing to booming downtown development in cities from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, Chicago to San Diego.

Although there are no national figures documenting the trend, in Los Angeles alone, the number of housing units in downtown could more than double to almost 40,000 in five years if all the projects now under development come to fruition, according to the Downtown Center Business Improvement District.

Suburban developers are finding that building in big cities is far different - the permitting process can be more complicated, the bureaucracies bigger.

On the national average, construction costs for a single-family, detached home runs an estimated $105.35 per square foot, compared to $129.65 per square foot for a garden-style (three- to four-story) multifamily home, according to Gopal Ahluwalia, staff vice president of research at the National Association of Home Builders.

While high-rise construction costs were not available, Ahluwalia estimated they would likely be 10 to 15 percent higher than the garden-apartment figures.

But the sale price also rises.

Nationally, the price per square foot of a single-family home is approximately $140 for a single-family residence. But the median home price in Los Angeles County is $497,000, pushing that to $248.50 for an average 2,000-square-foot home.

By comparison, a 1,000-square-foot loft can sell for $500,000 or more, making it $500 per square foot.

"It's a lot tougher business, but the profits are a lot higher in the urban market," said McIlwain with the Urban Land Institute.

Instead of building 1,000 homes on 500 acres of land, 500 units may be packed inside a high-rise on a half-acre of land. Not only must every square inch of available space be maximized, but the land itself can present unanticipated problems.

"When you start digging in an urban area, you're rarely on virgin land," said Debbie Bassert of the National Association of Home Builders. "You don't know what you are going to find."

Some builders had to remove old foundations before setting new ones. One found debris from old docks. A multibillion-dollar development in Los Angeles unearthed delays along with American Indian remains.

"It's much more intensive. It takes longer to plan and longer to get approval," McIlwain said. "The kind of building is very different from what most suburban builders do."

The challenges of city building were the main reasons John Laing Homes and KB Home created wholly owned subsidiaries dedicated to urban developments. One goal of these new subsidiaries: Consolidate staff expertise in the area of high-rise development, considerably more complicated than suburban building.

"We have an opportunity here," said Phil Simmons, president of Laing Urban. "But we don't think it's appropriate having the same people building our suburban communities build our urban communities."

Not all builders have followed the path of KB Home and John Laing Homes.

Toll Brothers created its "City Living" brand to boost its presence in urban areas and increase multifamily projects. Not a distinct division, "City Living" has team members who work on urban projects in specific places across the nation, according to Doug Yearley, regional president of Toll Brothers.

The company, known for high-end subdivisions, opted not to create an urban division and instead focus on marketing. The goal? To boost its profile in the new arena and increase sales.

It's an interesting debate for builders who dotted the national landscape with subdivisions over the past 50 years. For consumers, it's a win situation.

R.J. Kas, a real estate broker who is moving out of his Beverly Hills condo, recently purchased a 1,400-square-foot loft for $515,000 in downtown Los Angeles.

"You can't touch anything like that, the square footage, in Beverly Hills," Kas said. "I love downtown."

On the Net:

www.laingurban.com/

www.kburban.com

www.citylivingbytollbrothers.com/

Last edited by redspork02; January 30th, 2006 at 11:33 PM. Reason: minor
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:14 AM   #172
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANative
Yeah Trump doesn't know what he's missing here! Trump needs to check out Downtown L.A. and see whats happening.
He might be thinking just that because he's relocating himself to LA for the sixth season of The Apprentice. Hopefully he'll take a drive or look in some areas (downtown, Century City) and see if anything strikes his fancy or if he envisions some sort of project. I see Trump building in Century City, not Downtown- i don't think it's "nice" enough for him yet.
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:34 AM   #173
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Those Metropolis towers are great. Good job LA!
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:37 AM   #174
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
Those Metropolis towers are great. Good job LA!
The ones in the new rendering?
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:45 AM   #175
Jules

Quote:
The ones in the new rendering?
I believe so.
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:51 AM   #176
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
I believe so.
I don't know. At first I liked them but now they seem tacky to me. I like the architectural styles present on the Wilshire Corridor. What do you think of this tower that is part of the Grand Avenue Project set to break ground in 2007? This is just proposed, I'm not sure if it will go through but I love it.

Old January 31st, 2006, 03:01 AM   #177
Jules

Quote:
I don't know. At first I liked them but now they seem tacky to me. I like the architectural styles present on the Wilshire Corridor. What do you think of this tower that is part of the Grand Avenue Project set to break ground in 2007? This is just proposed, I'm not sure if it will go through but I love it.

Kinda tough to judge on that rendering. Gimme something more clear with different elevations and I can give you an honest opinion, but from what I see it looks pretty good.
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:02 AM   #178
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
Kinda tough to judge on that rendering. Gimme something more clear with different elevations and I can give you an honest opinion, but from what I see it looks pretty good.
Sorry, that's the only photo I know of. But thanks for your opinion on the Metropolis towers.
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:18 AM   #179
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:

That design was part of one of the losing development team's proposals. It won't be built. Frank Gehry is currently designing the "signature" tower for the Grand Avenue development, so expect it to be very different from what you see here.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:20 AM   #180
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
That design was part of one of the losing development team's proposals. It won't be built. Frank Gehry is currently designing the "signature" tower for the Grand Avenue development, so expect it to be very different from what you see here.
That's a shame. What do you think the final design will look like and when can we expect it to be unveiled?