daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #21
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Petronas of Kuala Lumpur
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #22
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

The Petronas are just awesome. Definitely not overrated. Most Americans in here thinking they're overrated just seem to have sour grapes, for the KL towers were first to take 'the worlds tallest' out of their country.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #23
Art Deco
The Original Skyline

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkerb
The Petronas are just awesome. Definitely not overrated. Most Americans in here thinking they're overrated just seem to have sour grapes, for the KL towers were first to take 'the worlds tallest' out of their country.
And people thinking the Empire State Building is overrated isn't sour grapes about not having a structure widely considered to be the most famous in the world? You're probably thinking "Um, no" and I feel the same about Americans being jealous because the Petronas took the Sears Tower's title with spire height. That's Chicago anyway, haha.
Art Deco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #24
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909
The Tribune Tower and the design competition has left it's marks in the history of architecture.

But for me, the most overrated tower was the former WTC. Without the height the towers wouldn't be noticed by most people and after '9/11' people were romancing the towers, making them more beautiful than they were. Yes, they were an icon, but only because of it's location and size. In the beginning the towers weren't that populair:

Showing it at night is much actually makes it look better than it does durring the day.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #25
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

I'll have to say the Seagram Building in NY. My 3 year old God Son could have Designed it !!!

CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #26
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Here's a link to the Seagram Building:

http://www.thecityreview.com/park375.html
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #27
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

We know what Seagram is. And that's not overrated either, it's just that you probably don't like Mies very much, or his particular style.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #28
JV_325i

Likes (Received): 0

No sour grapes for me; I DO NOT like the Petronas and feel they are highly overrated. In addition to those things add: ESB, WTC, One Liberty in Philly, 2 IFC, 311 South Wacker Drive.
JV_325i no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #29
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Not to be mean, but One Liberty and 311 South Wacker are overrated? They're hardly mentioned and most people probably don't even know their names.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #30
Art Deco
The Original Skyline

I don't care how overrated people may think 2-IFC is... that is one badass skyscraper. Period. The same is said for the Empire State Building and World Trade Center. For what people may think those particular towers lack in design for their worldwide acclaim, they more than make up for in sheer POWER. The same can be said for those who believe the Sears Tower is overrated. Those buildings follow true skyscraper form and are incredibly awe inspiring. Height may not mean everything, but is most certainly is the first thing that even makes a building a skyscraper in the first place.
Art Deco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #31
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Puerta de Europa I and II in Madrid (the inclining towers). I am all for new and unique but I just don't care to feast my eyes upon them. Maybe they are better in person but I don't like them much. Also Swiss Re in London I just do not care for. Very good intricate design and materials but the shape just makes me want to puke.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #32
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_325i
No sour grapes for me; I DO NOT like the Petronas and feel they are highly overrated. In addition to those things add: ESB, WTC, One Liberty in Philly, 2 IFC, 311 South Wacker Drive.
I think that's probably the first time I've heard someone mention 311 S. Wacker. Definitely not overrated, unknown if anything.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #33
Gordon Freeman
Registered Winner!

Empire State Building
Gordon Freeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #34
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
I think that's probably the first time I've heard someone mention 311 S. Wacker. Definitely not overrated, unknown if anything.
Exactly...how can this building be overrated? Most people in the US, let alone the world, dont know about this building. Its not a legend like ESB, thus doesnt have a hype to hold up

Last edited by mr_storms; January 9th, 2006 at 05:28 AM.
mr_storms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #35
davykid15

Likes (Received): 0

I'd have to say Sears Tower and WTC, because of the whole height thing.
davykid15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #36
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
No. It's because if you put them next to each other, the Sears Tower looks way taller but because of that tiny lil spire, it's shorter. They should build a spire on the Sears Tower or count the antennaes as a spire like what they did with the Chase Tower in Indianapolis.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #37
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Sydney opera house, I'd say. In every damn article featuring Australia or picture of Sydney, the Opera house would show! Australia=opera house & kangaroos...Give us a break!!
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #38
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX
No. It's because if you put them next to each other, the Sears Tower looks way taller but because of that tiny lil spire, it's shorter. They should build a spire on the Sears Tower or count the antennaes as a spire like what they did with the Chase Tower in Indianapolis.
Both are equally towering. Regarding the 'World's Tallest' debate, i'll still say the spires are an integral part of the building whether you like it or not and Petronas can always built a clear winner rather than putting the spires and spark of this debate, and don't forget they build two. Heights aside, the PTT and the Sears Tower are my favourite skyscrapers.
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #39
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshyang
Both are equally towering. Regarding the 'World's Tallest' debate, i'll still say the spires are an integral part of the building whether you like it or not and Petronas can always built a clear winner rather than putting the spires and spark of this debate, and don't forget they build two. Heights aside, the PTT and the Sears Tower are my favourite skyscrapers.
I am not saying that the spire is not part of the building but if the Chase Tower in Indy can count it's so call spire, then so could the Sears Tower.

Look at the comparison (Using my city's tallest). You can see that Chase Tower is only taller because one of its 'spire' is a communication antennae and the other is decoration. Isn't the Sears Tower exactly the same with it's antennae?

(Image is from SSP)

Petronas Tower: 1483ft/452m
Sears Tower: 1451ft/442m
Chase Tower: 811ft/247m
John Hancock Tower:790ft/240m

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014

Last edited by DarkFenX; January 9th, 2006 at 07:00 AM.
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #40
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10109

Quote:
Sydney opera house, I'd say. In every damn article featuring Australia or picture of Sydney, the Opera house would show! Australia=opera house & kangaroos...Give us a break!!
theres a reason for that. Its one of the worlds great buildings! Its a beuatiful structure inside and out.Its setting on sydney harbour is one of the greatest locations.Its now being considered to be included as one of the new 7 wonders of the world!!

article>
worldwide vote for the new seven wonders
http://cms.n7w.com/

Sydney Opera House short-listed for new 'Seven Wonders'

A group conducting a survey to find the new 'Seven Wonders of the World' has included the Sydney Opera House in a short-list of 21 international landmarks.

The list is a combination of more modern landmarks, like the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and older candidates, including Colosseum in Rome, the ancient city of Petra in Jordan, and China's Great Wall.

Project organiser Bernard Weber wants people to vote for the new "Seven Wonders" by internet or telephone.

"The ancient Seven Wonders were declared by a single man about 2,000 years ago, so I thought as a millennium project it would be fun to combine the latest technology with this possibility to have this time all the people of the world select what they decide to be the new Seven Wonders of the World," he said.

The Swiss-based foundation will published the results in a year.