daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #621
lumpia
| sariwa |

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louman View Post
Lumpia: 30 years ago, our nation had a better reputation. The full economical and political effects of the Marcos Dictatorship had yet to take effect on our nation back in 1977. That's why I wouldn't exactly look at 30 years ago as a negative.
Oh yeah, I almost made the crazy mistake of forgetting the prestige the Phils had before the dawn of the Marcos years. But how on earth did the Marcos' alone screw the reputation of Manila up!? I mean, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia (Thailand up until very recently) had dictatorial regimes as well, but for some reason or other were/are regarded as highly successful ASEAN countries by foreigners, and hence are played up in world media, despite their shared flaws (squatters/slums/poverty etc). I wouldve thought the melodramatic reporting of Manila's slum problem by foreign media wouldve been acceptable to show during the 80's (when they started portraying Manila that way), but 20 years later and the media are not showing any different sides to the city, when there visibly are?? What do you guys think is going on??

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #622
philbern
Queefbuster

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
But how on earth did the Marcos' alone screw the reputation of Manila up!?
He wasn't alone. Imelda was the other pea in the pod.

Quote:
I mean, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia (Thailand up until very recently) had dictatorial regimes as well, but for some reason or other were/are regarded as highly successful ASEAN countries by foreigners, and hence are played up in world media, despite their shared flaws (squatters/slums/poverty etc).
Forms of government of the above countries, while not necessarily democratic, had policies geared for sustained economic growth and eradication of poverty. Marcos was concerned with image building and Imelda provided the cosmetic touches.

Quote:
I wouldve thought the melodramatic reporting of Manila's slum problem by foreign media wouldve been acceptable to show during the 80's (when they started portraying Manila that way), but 20 years later and the media are not showing any different sides to the city, when there visibly are?? What do you guys think is going on??
Business magazines are showing Manila's comeback but flak is persistent in most media due to the unresolved social and political issues.
philbern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #623
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1288

You guys, I can't say enough to point out how off topic you are.
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #624
thyrdrail
BANNED

did imelda marcos ever go to jail? what is she doing now? how come filipinos always elect presidents who turn out to be corrupt? was corozan aquino corrupt too?
thyrdrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #625
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

She may have not been, but she was nevertheless inept and ineffective as a president.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #626
lumpia
| sariwa |

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
You guys, I can't say enough to point out how off topic you are.
Oops, sorry diz OK, back to Projects & Construction!
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #627
thyrdrail
BANNED

how many shoes did imelda marcos have? what size feet does she have? she looks like she's got big feet for an asian woman.
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #628
Miko_skyhigh

Likes (Received): 0

Imelda marcos has got more than 3,000 pairs of shoes when they left malacanang palace in 1986. For a Filipina she is indeed very tall with a height of 5’8” when the average Filipina height is only 5’0”….

The marcoses has been pictured as very corrupt and evil, while there maybe a little truth to it, I believe it has been blown out of proportion…..if only the majority of the Filipinos know the real truth behind our recent history…things would have been better with us Filipinos….

While our politicians can be a major reason for our country’s misfortune…We can also blame ourselves, the people for the misery that we as a nation have experienced…

We never learn as in the case of electing an inept/ineffective and unprincipled president in the name of Corazon aquino!!! First reason…..the former vice president doy laurel were asked to step down in favor of Cory as its standard bearer in the presidential elections.Doy laurel just had to do it for the sake of the country.Cory knows that she is not cut out for the presidency but nonetheless agreed to run if doy will step down…when doy laurel agreed to run as vice president, cory promised that she will step down after three years and give the presidency to him.. knowing that she is not fit to lead the country....BUT WHAT DID SHE DO???....SHE DID NOT HONOR HER WORD to the VP. In turn the VP has been slowly eased out of the aquino administration. When infact the VP is very qualified to be president as he has been a senator/statesman for a long time.

Second reason……when president marcos was dying in Hawaii he called on the vice president to meet him. The president intimated to the VP that he will give back to the Philippines billions of dollars if he is allowed to die in his homeland….Cory REFUSED and did not want to hear even a word of it from the VP…Had she done otherwise, it would have saved and lifted the country from poverty…..(?????but why did pres. marcos not use it while he is still in power???........its another long story though cuz it cannot materialize before the year 1988!!!).

..well im sorry if this thread is not about history!!!
…going back to the real topic!!!...tayong mga Pilipino ay sinasabing magaling sa maraming larangan like architecture….but seeing the capital cities of our neighbors…ang dami daming magagandang developments/designs ng buildings nila….pero ditto sa atin hindi masyadong interesting at beautiful ang mga design ng structures….bakit kaya ganun???even Jakarta,Saigon and Hanoi ay mas magaganda at fresh ang designs ng buildings nila diba….comment ko lang naman!!!
Miko_skyhigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #629
thyrdrail
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_skyhigh View Post
Imelda marcos has got more than 3,000 pairs of shoes when they left malacanang palace in 1986. For a Filipina she is indeed very tall with a height of 5’8” when the average Filipina height is only 5’0”….
man, filipinos are friggin' short!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_skyhigh View Post
…ang dami daming magagandang developments/designs ng buildings nila….pero ditto sa atin hindi masyadong interesting at beautiful ang mga design ng structures….bakit kaya ganun???even Jakarta,Saigon and Hanoi ay mas magaganda at fresh ang designs ng buildings nila diba….comment ko lang naman!!!
whobadeedoobadeedoo-whaaaat? man, you made alot of typos in your english there cuz i have no idea what you're saying there. me no readah spanglish!!
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #630
diz
Unregistered User

That was a bit offensive.

Miko_skyhigh: Please speak English outside our forums. -sinjin
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #631
thyrdrail
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
That was a bit offensive.

Miko_skyhigh: Please speak English outside our forums. -sinjin
just joking, cheeez!! don't be tho thenthitive!!
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #632
dattebayo
User lang

Likes (Received): 4

this THYRDRAIL has alot of posting which is out of topic
dattebayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #633
thyrdrail
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shippuden View Post
this THYRDRAIL has alot of posting which is out of topic
have a big piece of SWEET meat, please. on me!!
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #634
Miko_skyhigh

sorry!!!from now on itl be straight english!!!

...what i meant in my last paragraph was that we filipinos especially professionals like architects are considered to be one of the best in the world...but i was just wondering when you look at the skylines/architecture of different cities in south east asia...they have so many really beautiful and exciting architecture unlike in manila....

...this is just my observation!!!but offcourse i love my own.....atleast with recent developments in manila, were getting to have more interesting projects now!!!
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #635
Miko_skyhigh

just asking!!!....what was offensive diz?? is it my using tagalog terms???hehe

thyrdrail, the new generation of filipinos are already quite tall.......but of course majority of filipinos still stand below 5'9"....
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #636
diz
Unregistered User

Quote:
whobadeedoobadeedoo-whaaaat? man, you made alot of typos in your english there cuz i have no idea what you're saying there. me no readah spanglish!!
Actually, this was
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #637
lumpia
| sariwa |

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyrdrail View Post

ermm, that wasnt "spanglish". Havent you ever heard of the Tagalog language before? c'mon!

anyway, back to the topic please (I do admit, it was partly my fault for the change in topic, but lets get back to it now people )

(oh PS thyrdrail: Filipino arent THAT short: My family stands between 5'2 to 5'8)
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #638
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Likes (Received): 570

Alright. Back to developments then, shall we?

Bellagio Residences, Fort Bonifacio
Quote:
Originally Posted by laquacherra View Post
August 11, 2007

[QUOTE=laquacherra;14753176]August 11, 2007

Saint Francis Towers (left) and Soho Central (right), Mandaluyong City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude12 View Post
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #639
Insanedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyrdrail View Post

los filipinos son bajo pero terible and hot... lol
(nothin, im pretty bored.. jeje)

Last edited by Insanedriver; August 20th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Insanedriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM   #640
thyrdrail
BANNED

so did imelda marcos ever go to jail? did the marcos' ever return the money they stole from the country's coffers?

Tags
manila