daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #41
BoCHK
Bank of China

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco
Actually to me, Hong Kong has a whole collection of buildings that can be considered extraordinary or at the very least fascinating.

EXCHANGE SQUARE

Not only is it home to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, this spectacular building is also recognized architecturally after being noted as an important achievement in architecture by Time magazine. With its three towers of rose-colored granite and silver glass, it is an aesthetic forum where some of the most important financial transactions are made.

HSBC HEADQUARTERS

Designed by acclaimed British architect Sir Norman Foster, the super hi-tech HSBC Headquarters in Central District is a marvel of modern architectural design. It is one of the most expensive buildings in the world, at nearly $1 billion U.S. dollars. The design makes it look as if the building has been turned inside out. The supporting structures appear on the outside, all mechanical parts are exposed and many of the walls are glass. On a more traditional note, it is believed that rubbing the paws of the two bronze lions that have guarded the portals of the bank since 1935 invokes good luck.

BANK OF CHINA

The soaring 1,209 ft. tall Bank of China Tower is one of Hong Kong Island’s most stunning landmarks and is widely recognized as one of the most innovative skyscrapers ever built. Designed by acclaimed architect I.M. Pei, the inspiration of his design is derived from the elegant poise of bamboo; its sectioned trunk being propelled higher and higher by each new growth. The building’s blue-glass walls and triangular glass façade also make it one of the most photographed buildings in the world. Even better, the sky lobby located on the 44th floor is free-of-charge.

CENTRAL PLAZA

Completed in 1992 and counting 78 stories, Central Plaza was the tallest skyscraper in Hong Kong for more than a decade at 1,229 ft. up into the sky. The whole mood of the tower is one of brooding neoclassical grandeur with its vast lobby containing huge palm trees and some terrific artwork. After dusk, bright neon rods at the top of the building change color each quarter-hour, creating the city’s most visible timepiece.

THE CENTER

Best viewed at night, this soaring 1,135 ft. harbourside skyscraper on the west side of Hong Kong Island is decorated top to bottom with the latest in computerized neon lightning. Every evening, it provides an amazing and entertaining synchronized spectacle of color.

CHEUNG KONG CENTRE

Towering 62-stories and 928 ft. in the air between the Bank of China Tower and HSBC Headquarters, Cheung Kong Center is the new headquarters for property tycoon Li Ka-Shing’s Cheung Kong Group. An immaculate example of modern architecture designed by world-renowned architects Leo A. Daly and Cesar Pelli, it is enclosed in a sheath of reflective glass interwoven in a rich tapestry of stainless steel.

2 IFC

Constructed from 1997 to 2003, this Cesar Pelli designed masterpiece is intended to inject new life into Hong Kong’s position as the financial center of Asia and put the final stamp on Hong Kong’s claim for the undisputed greatest skyline in the world. In the tradition of true skyscrapers, the design of 2-IFC is simple, strong and memorable. A great presence in the scale of the city and the harbour, it culminates in a sculptural crown that celebrates the height of the tower reaching to the sky – and it reaches some 1,362 ft., the exact height of the former World Trade Center towers. The top of 2-IFC was designed as a welcoming gesture to the city, and when lit at night it is a shimmering beacon by Victoria Harbour.

Hong Kong is very well represented as the World's Skyscraper Capital.
Are those descriptions from the HKTB website? They sure do an excellent job of hyping up Hong Kong's better known skyscraper marvels. All of them answer the bell.
BoCHK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #42
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2613

Those marvels are only for HK but I don't think it's enough to recieve world status when it comes to being extraordinary!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #43
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCHK
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
By the way, The Shun Hing Square doesn't impress me that much! It's very typical of most supertalls in the mainland!
Especially to CITIC Plaza in Guangzhou, but I still like it much better.
On this I'd like to get the advice of other people who have seen both skyscrapers.

I've seen and been inside and up both of them.
I find Shung Hing Square to be a super and top quality building, very original and landmarkish (that is, immediately distinctive) and it's well-placed within my top 10 list.

I used to be quite fond of CITIC Plaza too, but now that I've been to it, I can only think of it as a boring, low quality, outdated box. Barely impressive.

Of course this is my own and subjective advice, but still ;-)
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #44
BoCHK
Bank of China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengui
On this I'd like to get the advice of other people who have seen both skyscrapers.

I find Shung Hing Square to be a super and top quality building, very original and landmarkish (that is, immediately distinctive) and it's well-placed within my top 10 list.

I used to be quite fond of CITIC Plaza too, but now that I've been to it, I can only think of it as a boring, low quality, outdated box. Barely impressive.

It looks as if we agree on this. I put Shun Hing Sqaure in my Four Extraoardinary Skyscrapers while CITIC Plaza doesn't crack the Top 15, probably not even the Top 25 if I ever made a list.

Quote:
Since the thread is titled "Four Extraordinary Skyscrapers", these are my personal favorites in no particular order:

> Bank of China Tower, Hong Kong
> Chrysler Building, New York City
> Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur
> Shun Hing Square, Shenzhen
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #45
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:

The thing is, architecture wise, the Shun Hing Square looks very typical of a mainland skyscraper. Doens't impress me that much! Jin-Mao is one of the few mainland skyscrapers that is of world class quality architecture wise!

Old January 12th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #46
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 6

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'typical of mainland skyscrapers'...
There's quite a variety of stuff out there, some very bad and some very good too ;-)
Jin Mao for sure is a top-class tower :-)
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #47
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'typical of mainland skyscrapers'...
There's quite a variety of stuff out there, some very bad and some very good too ;-)
Jin Mao for sure is a top-class tower :-)
Lets just say skyscrapers like Shun Hing Square and CITIC Plaza is very "mainlandish" I mean mainland China

The Shanghai World Financial Tower would be top class as well but I prefer it with a round hole

Old January 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #48
BoCHK
Bank of China

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Lets just say skyscrapers like Shun Hing Square and CITIC Plaza is very "mainlandish" I mean mainland China

The Shanghai World Financial Tower would be top class as well but I prefer it with a round hole
I still prefer the ICC in Hong Kong over the Shanghai World Financial Tower whether it has has a round hole or square one.
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #49
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
I still prefer the ICC in Hong Kong over the Shanghai World Financial Tower whether it has has a round hole or square one.
I prefer the ICC as well but if we're talking about skyscrapers in mainland China, definitely Jin Mao and the future SWFC are few examples of world class architecture!

Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:46 AM   #50
Tazmaniadevil

Likes (Received): 1

Whether you like the ESB or not ( I do, a lot ), you cannot have a list of great skyscrapers without including it. The building has defined "skyscraper" for 75 years.

Last edited by Tazmaniadevil; January 22nd, 2006 at 04:47 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Tazmaniadevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:28 AM   #51
Mr.Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 1

The Sears Tower, Chicago
The Empire State Building, N.Y.
Bank of China, Hong Kong
Turning Torso, Malmo
FC BARCELONA....El Club #1 Del Mundo

Last edited by Mr.Skyscraper; August 23rd, 2006 at 03:33 AM. Reason: mispelled malmo
Mr.Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote