daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Please Rank Benidorm!
Im not european and I think it's the best europ. skyline 6 6.67%
Im not european and I think it's the 2nd best eur. skyline 1 1.11%
Im not european and I think it's the 3rd best eur. skyline 0 0%
Im not european and I think it's the 4th best eur. skyline 2 2.22%
Im not european and I think it's the 5th best eur. skyline 1 1.11%
Im not european and I think it's the 6th best eur. skyline 0 0%
Im not european and I think it's not in the top6 eur. skylines 9 10.00%
Im european and I think it's the best europ. skyline 6 6.67%
Im european and I think it's the 2nd best eur. skyline 1 1.11%
Im european and I think it's the 3rd best eur. skyline 1 1.11%
Im european and I think it's the 4th best eur. skyline 6 6.67%
Im european and I think it's the 5th best eur. skyline 4 4.44%
Im european and I think it's the 6th best eur. skyline 9 10.00%
Im european and I think it's not in the top6 eur. skylines 44 48.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1698

Rank Benidorm's skyline in Europe

When I see people making a ranking of europe's best skylines, they use not to have in mind Benidorm, but I love it and I think it should be always among the top5 skylines! (It would be the no.1 for me) . So please rank Benidorm's skyline inside Europe, be sure to think about Frankfurt, London, Istanbul, Moscow, Paris, Rotterdam, Warsaw...what do you think?

The buildings in the next pic seems shorter because they are behind the hill, the tallest of them has 36 floors, and the shortest, 30

Torre Lugano, 43 floors 158m, under construction

Torre Kronos, 41 floors, unknown height, under construction

JuMpStyLe4eVeR liked this post

Last edited by Victhor; January 6th, 2006 at 10:29 PM.
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #2
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Isn't this city's population like only 65,000? Hmm. I am not sure but I don't think it is in the top 6th. I think London, Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid, Moscow, takes the top 5. However I don't think Benidorm is number 6.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #3
samba_man
Dobrando a Meta

Likes (Received): 19797

I was in there, and hav such a great vacations !
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Troopchina

Likes (Received): 2333

It would look better if it had only one skyscraper core in the center of the city, which would distinguish from the rest (rest being smaller apartment buildings).

Not in top 6, though it is unique at least
Troopchina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Toneo
On board

Likes (Received): 12

for me, #7 in Europe and of course #1 in Spain.
Toneo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #6
boto_mix
Hola/Bonjour/Hallo

Likes (Received): 5

I think that Benidorm is a good skyline. 6º in Europe and 1º in Spain

Proyecto de regeneración Isla de la Innovación - Avilés

L´asturianu llingua oficial ¡ya!
boto_mix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #7
Toneo
On board

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNeo
Añado más fotos:

Esta es una foto con Zoom tomada por Doctor-J desde la Serra Grossa a 40kms en linea recta en la ciudad de Alicante

La misma,ampliada

esta un retoque de esa foto by Patraix

esta la puso Vichase,no sé de quien es.
Toneo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #8
Pedrillo

Likes (Received): 3

Benidorm is not a city, it's an "Anti-Tsunami Barrier"
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Mali
קוסובו היא סרביה

Likes (Received): 70

MY VOTE: ***Im european and I think it's not in the top6 eur. skylines***
It looks great, and I would like to visit it; however, there are better skylines in Europe.
Mali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #10
Puce86

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrillo
Benidorm is not a city, it's an "Anti-Tsunami Barrier"

BTW, I don't think it's in the top 6 of european skylines

Oops, mistake!!! I voted like if I wasn't european
porque merece la pena.

Cecilio® xD
Puce86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #11
Adiks
I am the Tramping Man !

Likes (Received): 37

Do u have any night shoots of Benidorm?? That would be impresive i guess. But IMO the city isn't in the TOP 10 of Europe's Skylines cuz the scrapers look to "commie" and poor and ... but at least there are a lot of them

TrampingMan.com

Discover the most beautiful places without even leaving your home!

San Francisco, Barcelona, Los Angeles, Cape Town
Adiks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Benidorm is nothing less than a crowded, urban area with no real city proper planing. It's skyline is the result of massive construction with no real beauty. Heaven knows why people go there for their hollidays, supposedly to rest!?

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #13
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 14

I was in benidorm around a week ago it's skyline isn't really that impressive. There is no beauty it's just a load of skinny towers competing for a view of the sea. The north side of the town the urban area is very narrow and the place is a tacky drinking den. And no I was not staying there I stopped there for lunch in the old town after visiting Terra Natura (zoo).
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #14
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

DEAR GOD!!! Someone just puked up a load of ugly concrete skyscrapers...why oh why did they have to do that, Benidorm has got a real nice location, and with a bit more (I mean lot more) time, planning and maybe money, they could have built a great city with an amazing skyline. No one can deny that it has density...but not ONE of the SS is worth looking at. I'd much rather have one gold medal then 5 bronze ones..know what I mean..

I don't like saying these things, really I don't, but I mean, just LOOK at those pictures, every one of the SS is an ugly concrete slab that makes the city look like one big commie block.

And when you compare it to London, Paris, Franfurt etc....well there is no comparrison, its like comparing a cheap, rat infested motel to a 5 star, luxury hotel with en suite jacuzzi. I'm being harsh I know, but I don't want to shirk round the truth and say...'yer it looks pretty decent'...cus it just doesn't.

Here is an example of Benidorm architecture (I picked out the best I could find on google):

And here is Canery Wrarf in London

And a taste of the future for the London City area

and Frankfurt:

And Paris:

And thats not including Rotterdam, Warsaw, Moscow etc. I might...might squeeze it in at around 10 in Europe...I'm not sure. If you wanna count just plain old density as a skyline then yes, Benidorm is great, but if, like me, you think you need have quality and quantity then...no, Benidorm needs to take a look at London and Paris etc and go back to the drawing board.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #15
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1698

Benidorm surely has many good high-rises as Paris or London, Paris and London just have 3-4 good towers, the rest are expensive towers with cheap architecture: just boxes with glass with nothing to do with the rest of the city, most cities around the world have that arquitecture, Benidorm mustn't copy them, Benidorm has his own unique architecture (as Rotterdam has, but Rotterdam have it better ), it's got the best architecture of the 70's in Spain, and now is the european city with most of brutalism architecture, they're not expensive bank headquarters, but from a critic point view of the architecture, 1/5 of the high-rises of Benidorm are better than those banks with glassy facade, the glass looks nice from far, great for skyline pics, but the best architecture of Benidorm must be seen from closer, what Benidorm lacks is professional photographers. In general therms, most buildings in Benidorm skyline are bad, but Benidorm's skyline is about 10 times bigger and denser than Paris or London, but Paris or London have suburbs with lots of really poor and cheap high-rises in the suburbs, much worse than any Benidorm building, if you count them, then Benidorm's high-rises are much over London's or Paris in quality. And how many other european cities have really a skyline, Paris, Frankfurt, London, Moscow, Istanbul, Rotterdam, and Warsaw, but Rotterdam, Moscow, Warsaw and London's skylines are so small/short/not dense by now they can't compare to Benidorm, it's like comparing NY to Los Angeles. Of course Madrid and Barcelona are very far from those. that's why I complain so many people thinks Benidorm is not even in the top 6 skylines.
I tried to find good pics of good buildings of Benidorm, but there's almost nothing on internet, well, this is an attemp:
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=263319
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=331119
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=136913
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=154056
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=271198
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=102602

And talking about projects:

Last edited by Victhor; January 12th, 2006 at 01:05 AM.
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #16
-

Benidorm is the best example that quantity has nothing to do with quality. What this city needs is something interesting, something tall, something daring, something called architecture. Cities like Miami, Panama etc. are proposing something taller, better designed and more unique. That's something what should happen in Benidorm.
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #17
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

Yer, I totally agree, there is no point in having a good quantity of skyscrapers if everyone of them looks absolutely horrendous. I'm sorry Victhor, but you can't tell me Benidorm has good quality skyscrapers, cus it just doesn't. You say Benidorm must not copy other cities, and that it has its own unique style...well the style is whack, the last two buildings you showed look pretty decent, if only the others were anything near that I wouldn't be objecting! Maybe Benidorm SHOULD copy other cities architecture, cus the buildings they have look like shabby, commie block pieces of concrete with no imagination, all pretty much the same design. As someone has already stated, Benidorm is the result of massive construction with no thought or effort. Cities like London get submitted doesens and doesens of world class designs for skyscrapers that take ages to get approved, and they have to go through numerous additions, changes etc till they are up to standard, the result is that the vast majority of buildings that go up in London are architecturally magnificent. If Benidorm had taken a little more time with its buildings and built a few tall, decent looking skyscrapers instead of lots of thin, crummy buildings the skyline might have been one of the best in Europe...sadly though...they messed up.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #18
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

It's not bad, I didn't know there were so many in Benidorm.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote