daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #401
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 10

This is an articulate critique of Chicago's skyscrapers and architecture in general. I am sure many of my old buddies who majored in architecture at IIT would share the same view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
I don't get it really. I think Chicago's skyscrapers look more at home than anywhere else. Chicago's skyscrapers suit chicago perfectly. The city has this distinctinve feel about it's highrises. They are placed together so perfectly that nowhere else really in the world feels like the home of skyscrapers. There is a quality about chicago's highrises that you really cannot get anywhere else in the world. Trump for instance would look great anywhere but looks best on the chicago river, in the loop. Sear's would look good in few places but the set up of Chicago and placement of it's tallest is the perfect place for that building. Chicago and it's skyscrapers are that superior that it can really be defined the home of the skyscraper. Not just because it birthed the idea of building the skyscraper but because they have maintained the quality of highrises beyond anywhere else ( even ny). While it may share it's title of variety and quality with nyc, chicago has stayed true to itself moreso than New York. New York builds more for business and the need for office space that it forgets beauty. Chicago builds for this same purpose but does so in a delicate way, whereas New York is typically more chaotic. Recently New York's highrises fail to impress. They will always overwhelm, and always give that awe factor but Chicago is just too slick. Chicago impresses without overwhelming and still gives that awe factor.
Waterview is so perfect for Chicago. Right there on Wacker. Right there on the river. This is what I am trying to impliment. Noone in the world ( not even in asia, not even in dubai) can match. While they may be trying to perfect the skyline it will always mean they are trying to catch Chicago who has perfected it, and has done so for far longer. Kudos to you over in the windy city. You outdo yourselves everytime.
secondcity1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #402
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 202

/\ khm, i tend to disagree with some of those "points"

I mean to say something like:
Trump for instance would look great anywhere but looks best on the chicago river, in the loop.

Sorry, but them buildings are specifically designed for their respectable PLACES, so its not a huge miracle if it works best where it is....
But for the article, a fine example of patriotism and bias But hey its a part of life, isnt it!

Chicago is, ofcourse, undenyably at the top, or somewhere at the top
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #403
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut355 View Post
Can I be an honorary chicagoan too hydrogen??
I suppose. But I guess this means I'll have to make two sashes instead of just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le View Post
Trump for instance would look great anywhere but looks best on the chicago river, in the loop.
Adrian Smith specifically took the river and the neighboring buildings into consideration when designing Trump Tower. Here's an excerpt from SOM's website that explains it better than I can:

Quote:
...The architectural design strategy for Trump International Hotel & Tower is a contextual one: The south side of the tower parallels the bank of the Chicago River, and this position enables the structure to connect with Chicago's north-south grid. The building is shaped to reflect its orientation along the riverfront, and its width is sensitive to its surroundings.

Through the contemporary synthesis of adjacent building fabrics and modulations, Trump International Hotel & Tower expresses a truly modern architecture. The first setback occurs on the east side of the tower, at a height that is essentially the same as the cornice line of the Wrigley Building to the east. The next setback is on the west side of the tower and relates to both the height of the residential tower to the north and Marina City, to the west. The third and final setback is on the east side of the tower and relates to the height of the IBM Building immediately adjacent.

Setbacks in the tower's massing provide additional connections to the surrounding context and integrate the tower into the overall composition of its riverfront setting. For instance, the facade treatment of this tower relates to the Wrigley Building through the spacing of outset stainless steel tubes; they capture a rhythm that corresponds to the major-minor rhythm of the Wrigley facade...
http://www.som.com/resources/project...ntPreview.html
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #404
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

This building hasent really gotten of the ground but seem to have more activity and pages than most threads have and building is far off...juss ozzing with anticipation of this building finally getting off the ground...HURRY! !
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #405
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

I had a question, in some of the renders it looks very skinny from the side. and in others it looks like a less fat version of the comcast tower in PHI. is this just an illusion from the renders, or will this really be a skinny tower?
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #406
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
This building hasent really gotten of the ground but seem to have more activity and pages than most threads have and building is far off...juss ozzing with anticipation of this building finally getting off the ground...HURRY! !
I think some of us took an immediate liking to this tower, so naturally there is a sense of anticipation to see it rise.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #407
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
I had a question, in some of the renders it looks very skinny from the side. and in others it looks like a less fat version of the comcast tower in PHI. is this just an illusion from the renders, or will this really be a skinny tower?
It isn't an illusion. The building is actually triangular. The west side is broader because views in that direction are uninhibited by nearby buildings. The east facade, on the other hand, is much slimmer because there is a large building immediately next to it.

East facade at left: See how it's thinner and tapers away so as to avoid having its views blocked by the RR Donnelley Building immediately to the left. West facade at right.

Another view of the east side. You can see how it's razor thin and then slants away:
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #408
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
NOt an illusion at all. View from the east looking west, the tower will be very slender. At the 29th floor there is a steback, and the eastern edge of the tower is only about 30' in width. The tower is somewhat triangular. View from the west looking east make the tower look more stout.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #409
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

thanks for the renderings HYDROGEN....gave me another aspect of this building i never saw....makes me think....juss a lil.....kinda takes away from what i had envisioned in my mind...as far as the buildings slenderness...still...i want to see some progress.
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #410
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

Flickr, April 15
image hosted on flickr
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #411
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

they're only working on the ground
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #412
SNL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

how observant of you!
SNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #413
ChicagoAaron
AA`ron

Likes (Received): 1

At least I have a migration date!
ChicagoAaron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #414
ashlandave

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
they're only working on the ground
The building is on the schedule reported by Bvictoron 11/13/06. Post#218.
ashlandave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #415
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNL View Post
how observant of you!
lol, i've read all posts above so i know what they're doing. i said that for all who don't have read and now will ask "omg, is it on hold?" . it's the same with the BD facade
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #416
Banjaluchanin
Say no to the Narco state

Looks great! Clean lines, classy shape.
Banjaluchanin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #417
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

It's a very good looking tower, a great addition to Chicago's skyline.
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:19 AM   #418
Retrograde
Chicago

April 20, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:56 AM   #419
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Finally looks like they are getting somewhere. Good update!
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:08 AM   #420
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

by way of Honte at SSP

Excerpt from the E-mail Newsletter

Construction Update

* The deep foundation work including 18 rock and 14 bell caissons is completed. (5,000 cubic yards of concrete and 150 tons of rebar )

* Earth retention systems (sheeting) were installed around the building’s structural core and along Haddock, Clark and Wacker Streets

* A foundation mat, which included nearly 1,800 cubic yards (282 truck loads) of concrete and 400 tons of reinforcing steel, was poured within in single pour lasting 10 hours

* The tower crane was installed and is now the primary means of material hoisting on the site

* The Building's 4 lower levels of the building's elevator and structural core was completed

* The perimeter excavation 4 stories (Apx. 55 feet) below grade for the underground parking & ballrooms is nearly complete

* Approximately 40,000 cubic yards (4,500 truck loads) of Chicago clay has been removed from the site

* Four layers of temporary bracing (230 tons of steel) from the core walls to the perimeter retention system is installed. Temporary bracing is required to prevent Wacker Drive, Clark Street, Haddock Street and the 121 West Wacker Building from sliding into the site

* Construction will begin next week on the hotel’s ballrooms, kitchens, cafeteria, staff locker rooms under-ground valet garage, and numerous other support areas: all required to provide you with Shangri-La’s 5-Star services
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
111 w.wacker, chicago, inner loop