daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #721
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

a bit slow growing i think, hope it will speed up in the future
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #722
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
a bit slow growing i think, hope it will speed up in the future
just noticing the same thing...
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #723
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Definitely starting to helix up with the tenant and hotel guest parking. How many 'spirals' of that are planned?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #724
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
what will happen to the surrounding towers windows?
I observed in an earlier posting in either here or the Waterview thread in the 'Midwest/Chicago/Highrises' forvm that it looks from the detailed model that there will be a space between the Waterview and the windowed part of the older building next door. It won't be a huge space, maybe 2-3 meters, but they will NOT be 'bricked over' and that some natural light will continue to reach them.

The Waterview will go right up to the building next door where it will not be blocking the windows.

As for the building to the south? The lower part is a parking pedestal with oodles of public parking available in it, but for a price (of course ). The upper part is office space, but it and the Waterview are separated by an alley.

Mike
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #725
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

thanx again mgk920
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #726
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I observed in an earlier posting in either here or the Waterview thread in the 'Midwest/Chicago/Highrises' forvm that it looks from the detailed model that there will be a space between the Waterview and the windowed part of the older building next door. It won't be a huge space, maybe 2-3 meters, but they will NOT be 'bricked over' and that some natural light will continue to reach them.

The Waterview will go right up to the building next door where it will not be blocking the windows.

As for the building to the south? The lower part is a parking pedestal with oodles of public parking available in it, but for a price (of course ). The upper part is office space, but it and the Waterview are separated by an alley.

Mike
On the West side the clearance is in inches.
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #727
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
On the West side the clearance is in inches.
The part that you are showing in this image is not covering the next door building's windows when projected upwards. Closer to Wacker Dr and alley, from what I could see of the model and the latest construction images, there appears to be about 2 meters or so (maybe as much as 3-4 meters) of space between the Waterview's podium (above the lobby) and those windows. Those levels of the Waterview are NOT a perfect rectangle. Think of 'squarish' notches being cut into the corners of the rectangle, sort of like how those notches are cut into the AON's corners, but a little bigger.

Above the podium, the Waterview will not be right up to that next door building.

Mike
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #728
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
So what will be on the floors that are shoved against the other two buildings there?

:previous:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,1071901.story

If you click on the "Wateview construction site" video it does a good job explaining it.

Just a paraphrase {not exact quotes} " the lower SW quadrant of the building will have no views, ... so on many of the floors we have just blank space, blank volume in order to get more of our space up above floor 28 which is where the good views are."
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #729
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
:previous:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,1071901.story

If you click on the "Wateview construction site" video it does a good job explaining it.

Just a paraphrase {not exact quotes} " the lower SW quadrant of the building will have no views, ... so on many of the floors we have just blank space, blank volume in order to get more of our space up above floor 28 which is where the good views are."
I think that he's referring to the parking podium. Only the parking podium will be shoved right next to the building next door. No views are needed from that part of the building.

Mike
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #730
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

Construction is expectedly slow. It usually is when on the parking area of the podium.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #731
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

parking?...didnt cross my mind ...i dont know if that building can handle parking
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #732
theworldshallcry
BAMMED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
parking?...didnt cross my mind ...i dont know if that building can handle parking
I would presume car lifts? A ramp wouldn't fit in that thing.
theworldshallcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #733
newstl2020

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I think that he's referring to the parking podium. Only the parking podium will be shoved right next to the building next door. No views are needed from that part of the building.

Mike
Not a chance in hell they have 28 floors of parking. The setback occurs after the hotel-portion of the tower, which ends at floor 28. After that, the tower becomes residential. Also, there really isn't a "podium" per say on this building, as the afore mentioned podium would be 28 floors tall...which is a building in itself. There will be windows that completely lose their view in the adjacent building (shown with inches of clearance in the above post.) The developer of Waterview has no legal accountability to maintain the views of the windows in the next building. Tough break for them.
newstl2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #734
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

good thing they wont brick the windows, I think t is such a waste of (potential) natural light.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #735
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:

Mike
Most of the windows shown in this photo will be blocked.

For scale the verticle sections on the white bldg ( Transit bldg ) are the 11th floor, about where the model shows the 2" seperation taking a meter or so back.

Note that this setback on the SW courner is not reflected in the model ( covered fire escape ? ) it exposes the s most 2 windows on each floor.

And the setback on the NW courner exposes the N most 3 windows on each floor.

The sales rep said the parking would be accessed by a ramp, the traffic guy said it would be installed last.
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #736
Kallan

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
i really don't know that the design of this tower has to do with the chrysler building.
Well its odd in that nothing about it is really similar to the chystler and yet several people had the same first impression I did. Its probably just the iconic nature of the chrysler. People are sensitive to, and pick up on, even the slightest similarities. I really like this design though.
Kallan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #737
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

That's pretty much what I was observing. The windows in the middle of the next-door building appear to me to serve at least one stairwell and, for lack of a better term, a 'broomcloset' on each floor.

Also, I thought that the setback would be where the parking stops, not at the top of the hotel part of the building.

Thanx.

Mike
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #738
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallan View Post
Well its odd in that nothing about it is really similar to the chystler and yet several people had the same first impression I did. Its probably just the iconic nature of the chrysler. People are sensitive to, and pick up on, even the slightest similarities. I really like this design though.
i only see that they've the same height
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #739
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
i only see that they've the same height
Waterview is a foot taller but this was pure coincidence according to the lead architect from Teng. This is why you hear chrystler so much, to give waterview a perspective on how tall it will be.

Last edited by bnk; September 19th, 2007 at 02:47 AM.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #740
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Actually the Waterview, whilst only a foot taller by CTBUH standards, will appear much taller than the Chrysler Bldg., as Chrysler's height is determined in large part by its spire (as any NYC history buff will tell you) -- it's roof is only a little over 900 feet, but Waterview is roof-only, making it appear much larger.
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
111 w.wacker, chicago, inner loop