daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2009, 03:31 AM   #1561
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
I'm wondering how long it'd stay built like this until it's torn down if no one buys it. To leave such a large building sitting empty on the river would be horrible.
I believe the current state of the building may have to stay like that until another investors could buy the site, then they could feel free to do whatever they want from then. Let's just hope no more fire will broke out, or anything else that would threaten civilians near the site ATM.
Destroyed007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM   #1562
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Yeah I still remember being back in architecture at UDM and seeing this awesome render of a beautiful emerald-green clad Chicago condo tower named "Waterview". But wow how times have changed. If you told me that of all the huge chances that large projects like these get shelved either due to rejected designs, an over-glut of original programming space, or lack of funds that it'd be the last choice here. Well, not insomuch as a lack of funds beforehand but necessarily at a time *when the building is already a good portion built*!. It honestly never occured to me all these years that hey, just because your beautiful building is rising above ground that it's always smooth sailing and the money's there because well in this case, it isn't.

Other than maybe some exceptions in Dubi where a lot of towers are in different phases of construction, has this happened with any building in the US before? I certainly can't recall any off the top of my head.

What chance do you guys think this has of going ahead in any vision? We may not have Waterview but to end it at 50 floors would definitely look well, stumpy.

Last edited by The-Real-Link; December 21st, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:54 AM   #1563
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

How long will the city allow this unfinished hulk to remain in place before forcing the owners to tear it down? Could Daley conceiveably pull one of his midnight raids (like at Meigs) and have the city demolish it?

If this thing will never be completed as an 89 story hotel/condo building, there is no need for so much parking. It seems that much of it will need to be torn down anyway before the land could be put to a useful purpose. A 50 story office tower does not require 12 of those floors to be for parking.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1564
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
How long will the city allow this unfinished hulk to remain in place before forcing the owners to tear it down? Could Daley conceiveably pull one of his midnight raids (like at Meigs) and have the city demolish it?

If this thing will never be completed as an 89 story hotel/condo building, there is no need for so much parking. It seems that much of it will need to be torn down anyway before the land could be put to a useful purpose. A 50 story office tower does not require 12 of those floors to be for parking.
There was a similar unfinished stump in downtown Austin that Intel abandoned and was left standing for many years. In a climate like Chicago, you wouldn't want this stuff as it is for more than 10 or 15 years.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #1565
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Dec 15

Dec 16

Dec 22

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #1566
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

What are they going to do with those exposed rebars? Aren't they cutting it off whilst dismantling the crane? Sorry if this question got explained somewhere.

EDIT: I know now, forget about that stupid question

Last edited by Destroyed007; December 29th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #1567
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Stupid recession forced the cancellation of this project. A recent South Park episode made me condemn the recession, so if financing is secured, the project will be un-canceled, construction will resume and the building be completed as planned, even at a lower funcional height (no lower than 275 metres, though). This is the Chicago version of the Ryugyong Hotel, only it is far from completely topping out. Now the United States will never have a Shangri-La Hotel all because the tower housing it is on indefinite hold.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #1568
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1226

Whatt???? How can this be cancelled? How an they leave this structure with many floors built!
Hope it is on hold just for a while.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #1569
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

They're pouring probably the final concrete slab at the top then they'll remove the crane afterwards.
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #1570
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

wow, never thought, that such a project with so many floors already built could be canceled and probably teared down...
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #1571
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Stupid recession forced the cancellation of this project. A recent South Park episode made me condemn the recession, so if financing is secured, the project will be un-canceled, construction will resume and the building be completed as planned, even at a lower funcional height (no lower than 275 metres, though). This is the Chicago version of the Ryugyong Hotel, only it is far from completely topping out. Now the United States will never have a Shangri-La Hotel all because the tower housing it is on indefinite hold.
Huh? We do have one in Los Angeles, California. I don't know if it is opened yet.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #1572
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

This is disappointing. There were a lot of exciting projects going on in Chicago the past few years. Most of them are topped out/ completed by now and I actually expected some new and fresh projects. But apparently the city is somehow out of money or doesn't have any inspiration. I actually think there is nothing going on except for the Spire that's on hold. Rest of the tall projects or projects that matter are topped out or completed..
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #1573
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

It's time to move this one to the DN Archives.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #1574
harryc

Dec 22

Dec 29

Shoveled walk - there have been crew onsite every day for the last 2 weeks.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic

Last edited by harryc; December 31st, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1575
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1696

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
If they don't finish the building, are they going to have the street occupied forever?, I would say that side of the street is not completely safe until they clad the facade.
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:58 AM   #1576
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

While I don't think we're going to see any of this kind of risky speculation again for a long time, I do think the city ought to consider some sort of legal safegaurds against developers abandoning projects and leaving partially-completed eyesores to rot.

Construction permits should not be granted until the developer demonstrates the ability to complete the project as allowed for in the permit. This means the developer should not be allowed to break ground before financing to complete the entire project is in place. Developers also should have to pay into a fund, administered by the city, that could be used to restore abandoned construction sites. Sure, the city can fine the developer to properly secure the site to code. But they can not force them to tear it down for aesthetic reasons.

The concrete work already in place makes this property worth less than if it were clear. What's there can not be easily adapted to something useful in this new economic climate and it will probably have to be completely demolished. This makes the site very undesireable to buyers. It is possible that the neighbors to this site will be forced to deal with it for a decade. Or more. And just wait until the graffiti "artists" start tagging it...
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1577
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

Why can't they just put a roof on it, place some windows and rent it?
Wouldn't this work?
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:56 PM   #1578
harryc

Dec 31

Preparing to disassemble the crane, the compressors, lift, and tools were all going up this morning.

--Niko Bellic
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM   #1579
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Only good thing about this is... Less competition for the Spire.
Fingers crossed.
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:37 AM   #1580
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
This is disappointing. There were a lot of exciting projects going on in Chicago the past few years. Most of them are topped out/ completed by now and I actually expected some new and fresh projects. But apparently the city is somehow out of money or doesn't have any inspiration. I actually think there is nothing going on except for the Spire that's on hold. Rest of the tall projects or projects that matter are topped out or completed..
What exactly does the city have to do with this project? The city was not building this tower in case you didn't know. The city has its own projects that it's working on.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
111 w.wacker, chicago, inner loop