daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #361
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
Golden Glades in Miami is an obsolete disaster built back when Florida was still the American equivalent of a third-world country, its government gave thanks daily for Mississippi's existence so it didn't have to be last at anything, and FDOT was insane enough to think having 3 freeways and 2 major highways collide within the same square mile area was actually a good idea.

The big flyover for I-95's HOV lanes is fun to drive south on (one of Miami's two "postcard" vantage points... the other being northbound I-95 right after it splits off from US-1 and makes a hard left to the north, leaving the downtown skyscrapers laid out in front of you), but was a horrible waste of money. For what FDOT spent building it, they could have widened the mainline by TWO lanes in each direction AND built proper ramps from eastbound 826 to northbound 95, north and southbound 95 to westbound 826, and a few other directions.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the I-75/I-595/Sawgrass Expressway interchange in western Broward County is the geographically largest interchange east of the Mississippi river. Not number of lanes, just total square meters of ramps and right-of-way. It's huge. From first split to last merge, it's more than a mile both east-to-west and north-to-south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...90809&t=k&om=1
To be fair, is Florida really much different from a Third World Country, at least in the "New York South" area of the state? To me, the Line between "South Georgian/South Alabamaian/Lost Mississippian and Louisiana Swamp-rat Cajun Florida" and "Yankee Florida" is just south of Ocala and the area between Gainesville and Ocala is like a DMZ.

It's funny because some of the biggest rednecks east of LSU Country are in Florida, some of the highest concentrations of New Yorkers and Ontarioians are in Florida, and of course the Cubans and Haitians.

And I say all this being someone that was born in Florida. Personally I'll take the Redneck Rivera anyday(and besides Pensacola, Destin, and Panama City should belong to Alabama; it's a lot better then Miami or Tampa anyway).
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #362
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Stack interchanges are problematic in any place that tends to get weather below freezing, because bridges always ice up so quickly, compared to roads at are part of the ground. That's why there are very few in the northern U.S. (although Cleveland conspicuously has 3 of them). Even Atlanta doesn't have any full 4 level stack interchanges, if I'm not mistaken. It's just not practical for most of the country.

That said, what Northern interchanges lack in height they make up in horizontal size. Ohio is building a lot of interchanges like the new one under construction at I-70 I-75 in Dayton, which has 3 flyovers and one loop, eliminating weaving, and allowing traffic to move through more quickly than a 4 level stack (where the speed limits on ramps are something like 40mph).
You are mistaken. Spaghetti Junction(I-285 at I-85 NE of Atlanta):

Old August 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #363
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

this is meant to be a realy early one (birmingham, uk) looks nice too.
[IMG]http://www.**************************/php-cgi/gallery2/d/7923-2/SPAGETTI.jpg[/IMG]
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #364
AUchamps

RKC, it's funny you post the Birmingham Spaghetti Junction because that was where Atlanta got the nickname for their Spaghetti Junction(it opened in 1984 and took 4 years to be built. Believe it or not it used to be a simple cloverleaf interchange between the 2 interstates.

Here's the main interchange in Birmingham, Alabama that connects I-65 with I-20/59(the 2 interstates overlap from Birmingham down south to Meridian, Mississippi): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Birmin...0084&z=16&om=1

We call it Malfunction Junction and it's well known for the sheer number of accidents and truck fires that melt bridges on the intersection. I should mention it's the single most busy interchange in the state of Alabama.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #365
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Retrying:

Does a four-level interchange count (only five percent of its rights of way is level; the rest, sloping)?

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #366
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
i heard also the 401/410/403 will become one when the 401 is rebuilt and widened in that section westward.
Its going to be a nightmare trying to re-build that considering the sheer number of ramps needed, you need and if they end rebuilding that section, MTO might as well widen, redesign the entire 401 from just east of the 409 to where ever they stop the Collectors and Express lanes in the west. Also are they going to create ramps to go from the 401 E to the 403 W, Considering they don't at the moment
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #367
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
RKC, it's funny you post the Birmingham Spaghetti Junction because that was where Atlanta got the nickname for their Spaghetti Junction(it opened in 1984 and took 4 years to be built. Believe it or not it used to be a simple cloverleaf interchange between the 2 interstates.

Here's the main interchange in Birmingham, Alabama that connects I-65 with I-20/59(the 2 interstates overlap from Birmingham down south to Meridian, Mississippi): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Birmin...0084&z=16&om=1

We call it Malfunction Junction and it's well known for the sheer number of accidents and truck fires that melt bridges on the intersection. I should mention it's the single most busy interchange in the state of Alabama.
Actually, Atlanta's Spaghetti Junction was completed in 1987. I was commuting through it at the time. One radio station joked that motorists were camped out waiting for the last flyover ramp to open. It greatly improved traffic conditions on I-285-- for about three weeks. After that, traffic jammed up going out of the interchange instead of going in. Well, whatd'ya want for $100 million? OK, I'm being unfair-- if it were still a cloverleaf it's be impassable 24-7. But I often go from the Perimeter Center area to my home up 85 north, and if I can't get through it by 3:30 pm, I take backroads.

Birmingham still managed to build a four-level stack (or was it two?) before Atlanta did, out on 459.

Birmingham's Spaghetti Junction truly belongs in the Bad Interchange Design Hall of Fame. Any talk of rebuilding it?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #368
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Marney View Post
Actually, Atlanta's Spaghetti Junction was completed in 1987. I was commuting through it at the time. One radio station joked that motorists were camped out waiting for the last flyover ramp to open. It greatly improved traffic conditions on I-285-- for about three weeks. After that, traffic jammed up going out of the interchange instead of going in. Well, whatd'ya want for $100 million? OK, I'm being unfair-- if it were still a cloverleaf it's be impassable 24-7. But I often go from the Perimeter Center area to my home up 85 north, and if I can't get through it by 3:30 pm, I take backroads.

Birmingham still managed to build a four-level stack (or was it two?) before Atlanta did, out on 459.

Birmingham's Spaghetti Junction truly belongs in the Bad Interchange Design Hall of Fame. Any talk of rebuilding it?
In regards to Birmingham, possibly when another tanker truck or 5 hits the bridges and melts the entire interchange.

In regards to the I-459 stack interchanges at I-20 and I-65, those were built in the Early 80s when George Wallace finally decided to build the unfinished connections to Birmingham Interstates. I want to say that 65 south between Highway 31 in Vestavia Hills and Highway 31 in Alabaster was opened in 1981 or so, I-20 between Crestwood Blvd. and Leeds was opened by 1983-1984, and I-65 between Highway 31 in Fultondale and Highway 31 in Morris was opened by 1986.

In regards to Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta, everything I read on it said that construction began in 1979-1980 and was finished by 1984(roughly the same time that Gwinnett Place Mall was built). I know that may parents said while they were at Auburn in the early 80s, 285 and 85 down around the Atlanta airport was also hell to drive through the entire time they were in school and today that interchange is still something to look at from the sky or at ground level.
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #369
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Big announcements have been made here in Montreal regarding the ages-old practice of elevating expressways and interchanges -- supposedly, the city's going to look, feel and drive differently -- raised structures are going to be raized (question here is when). So I was both puzzled and startled to see some L-A interchanges under construction with roadways perched atop stilts (earlier on in this thread) . . .
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #370
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 863

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
in Toronto there is only one 4 level interchange.

A second is planned.
There are a few 4-level interchanges in and around Toronto, granted not too many compared to a lot of similar US cities.

The 427/407 interchange is already a 4-level interchange, as is the 427/QEW and the 400/407 interchange. The 401/403/410 interchange is also 4-levels high. The extension of the collector lanes along the 401 west of the 403 shouldn't really change the 401/403/410 interchange too much, though it will be interesting to see if any of the ramps to and from the 410 are connected directly to the express lanes, and if the 'missing-ramps' between the 401 and 403 are filled in.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #371
Bartolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
There are a few 4-level interchanges in and around Toronto, granted not too many compared to a lot of similar US cities.

The 427/407 interchange is already a 4-level interchange, as is the 427/QEW and the 400/407 interchange. The 401/403/410 interchange is also 4-levels high. The extension of the collector lanes along the 401 west of the 403 shouldn't really change the 401/403/410 interchange too much, though it will be interesting to see if any of the ramps to and from the 410 are connected directly to the express lanes, and if the 'missing-ramps' between the 401 and 403 are filled in.
But the only Stack interchange is at the 407/400, whereas the rest are partial stacks
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #372
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

thats because most of the interchanges aren't full 4-way interchanges.
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #373
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Coming in a few years to Miami (SR836/Dolphin at SR826/Palmetto). Finally, we'll have a Texas-sized stack to brag about. It's about time... the current interchange is so dysfunctional, it doesn't even have a proper ramp from northbound 826 to westbound 836 (I think there's an extra-toasty spot in Hell reserved for the idiot(s) who came up with that bright idea...)

miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #374
sonysnob

So I take it that the thought is that the 407/427 interchange will be reconstructed as a full stack interchange when the highway is extended? Does anyone have a reliable source for this, because I have to say it seems more like the work of an overzealous wikipedia contributor then a press release from the MTO.
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #375
Bartolo

The original plan was to create stacks for all of the 407/400-series highways, but the owners couldn't "afford" it, or so ive read, but wtf do i know
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #376
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
The original plan was to create stacks for all of the 407/400-series highways, but the owners couldn't "afford" it, or so ive read, but wtf do i know
The owners were the MTO until 1999. I have heard this rumour before (wikipedia), but I would love to know of a reliable source or this information.
Old August 11th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #377
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
Like I said before, 4 level stack interchanges tend to be dangerous at the higher latitudes. It's not that they don't exist (Cleveland has 3 of them). The problem is that the long flyovers will ice up quickly in frosty weather.

There are more suitable designs for the frostbelt, though they take up more space horizontally.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #378
Bartolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Like I said before, 4 level stack interchanges tend to be dangerous at the higher latitudes. It's not that they don't exist (Cleveland has 3 of them). The problem is that the long flyovers will ice up quickly in frosty weather.

There are more suitable designs for the frostbelt, though they take up more space horizontally.
I am aware of that fact, hence why most freeway to freeway interchanges here are just partial stacks, because the bridges can freeze much quicker than ramps located on the ground.
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #379
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1810

Seriously how is there so much money for freeways in the US?
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #380
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
Seriously how is there so much money for freeways in the US?
GDP of $10 trillion that's how.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, interchange, junction, motorways