daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #481
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Personally, i don't such wide urban streets are really a good solution. You easily loose overview when there are more than 3 lanes on urban streets per direction. It also creates a huge barrier between and in neighborhoods. Such a road as pictured above with controlled acces and non-grade intersections might be able to handle the same amount of traffic with half the number of lanes.

I am also not in favor of joining multiple flows into one large flow. If an accident or incident occurs, many more people can be delayed, it's better to distribute the flow over multiple roads.

Air quality is potentially very bad along this road, especially with the street canyon visible, pollution is not able to be taken or diluted by winds, it just "hangs" between the buildings.

Also, noise pollution can be bad, because of the number of vehicles, and the street canyon reflects every noise.

The sights of these streets however, are staggering. A huge number of lanes, incredible traffic flow and also a lot of greenery making this sight very urban. But i wouldn't want to live along or near such a street.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #482
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

This is also kind of impressive, the C-17/C-33/C-58 overlap just north of Barcelona.

18 lanes across.

[IMG]http://i6.************/6wqhcfq.png[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #483
Lindemann
Aux armes, citoyens!

Likes (Received): 1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Personally, i don't such wide urban streets are really a good solution. You easily loose overview when there are more than 3 lanes on urban streets per direction. It also creates a huge barrier between and in neighborhoods. Such a road as pictured above with controlled acces and non-grade intersections might be able to handle the same amount of traffic with half the number of lanes.

I am also not in favor of joining multiple flows into one large flow. If an accident or incident occurs, many more people can be delayed, it's better to distribute the flow over multiple roads.

Air quality is potentially very bad along this road, especially with the street canyon visible, pollution is not able to be taken or diluted by winds, it just "hangs" between the buildings.

Also, noise pollution can be bad, because of the number of vehicles, and the street canyon reflects every noise.

The sights of these streets however, are staggering. A huge number of lanes, incredible traffic flow and also a lot of greenery making this sight very urban. But i wouldn't want to live along or near such a street.
Yeah, and I don't like those streets, but they asked for wide streets/highways and I put here pictures of the widest street in BA, nothing more.
Lindemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #484
sturman
Имперская морда

Likes (Received): 11877

Five-level flyover?

Two-level junctions are commonplace, we may find it everywhere. Three-level ones are far and wide too. There is nothing unique in four-level flyovers, althow they definitely catch an eye.

So, what about five levels? Is there such a beauty anywhere in the world?

Last edited by sturman; December 8th, 2007 at 10:23 PM.
sturman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #485
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10410

Do you mean something like this?

This monster is in Houston, between Beltway 8 and US route 290. They are everywhere in Texas.

image hosted on flickr
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #486
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

ain't that 4 level?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #487
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Five, if you count roads under all the motorway spaghetti.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #488
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 23722

Yeah...but the roads that run under all that, realy run parallel to that northwest-southeast main way.
Boath of them are at 0 level.

+1 level is that southwst-northeast main way....and +2 and +3 are the flyovers...

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

Ballota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #489
sturman
Имперская морда

No, I mean five levels one under one, in one sertain point of junction. This one in Houston gives just 4 levels, two upper for ramps and two lower for freeways themselves.
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #490
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

This beast in Toronto might count, though I'm not entirely sure how many levels there are altogether, it's hard to tell. At least four, but there may be a fifth...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...&t=k&z=15&om=1
canadave87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #491
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

The Los Angeles I-105/I-110 5-level stack interchange:

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #492
sturman
Имперская морда

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave87 View Post
This beast in Toronto might count, though I'm not entirely sure how many levels there are altogether, it's hard to tell. At least four, but there may be a fifth...

I count just 3 levs, sorry
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #493
sturman
Имперская морда

The LA monster seems to be exactly what I mean, thanks

And another one from China thread. No doubts here:

image hosted on flickr
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #494
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

dont forget the mega project "high five" in dallas :

Quote:
A highway in Dallas, TX nicknamed "The High Five" is a masterpiece, say some experts.

"Driving it is like entering a surreal Piranesi drawing in which you are suddenly enveloped by ramps, arches, and columns that conflate mysterious shadows and melodramatic light into a motoring dreamscape," said writer David Dillon. "The bold Lone Stars on green and terra cotta columns, which architectural purists loathe, play against the bland facades of nearby office building, briefly making art out of sprawl and almost legitimizing it."

Dillon explains that Piranesi, an architect in the 18th century would probably see the traffic spinning against this backdrop as an aqueduct.

"The High Five" carries 500,000 vehicles a day over its artistic stretch of light and movement, according to Dillon.

Frank Lloyd Wright, considered a prophet by some, once predicted that these mass visions of highways would be labeled great architecture.

Though Dillon says that opinion might be an exaggeration he labels the busiest freeway interchange in the largest metro area in Texas a "heroic abstract."

There is a café, a self-storage, and a cycling facility all named after "The High Five" in Dallas.

The $100 million, 12-story-high freeway interchange was named a Public Works Project of the Year in July by the American Public Works Association. Finished in about 47 months the project replaced the three-level modified partial cloverleaf built in the 1960s.

Twenty-seven acres by "The High Five" were sold last month and an elaborate retail center will be built there possibly, according to reports. It is one of the most sought after areas in Dallas. The sale is scheduled to close next month. The property, bought by Westmount for an undisclosed amount, is at the northeast corner of Central Expressway and Forest Lane, south of LBJ Freeway/635 from Tri-State Theaters.

"The High Five" was the single largest construction contract that the Texas Department of Transportation has ever undertaken, awarded to the company, ZCC in 2002.

The structure widened Central Expressway from four to eight lanes and added a high-occupancy vehicle lane that connects to LBJ Freeway. One-third of the project work was done at night. It featured four lanes in each direction through the U.S. 75 interchange. It also included 43 bridges covering 2.3 million square-feet of deck, 710 columns, 680,000 square yards of concrete paving, and more than one million cubic yards of excavation and embankment.

i have driven through this many times, it is like a highway lovers wet dream!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #495
sturman
Имперская морда

Cool, another one. Next?
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #496
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturman View Post
I count just 3 levs, sorry
Hm, I still see four, but whatever.
canadave87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #497
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave87 View Post

Toronto doesn't have 5-level stacks. The 400-407 is the only 4-level stack interchange in Ontario.
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #498
Paddington

Houston I-610/U.S. 59 5-level symmetric stack interchange.

[IMG]http://i17.************/6ur3v48.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #499
Paddington

You can look the other ones up yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_interchange

Quote:
Five-level stack

Five-level stacks may have the same configuration as four-level stacks, except that service roads may constitute the fifth level, often being placed at or below grade. U-turns are often possible on the below-grade service roads.

The Houston, Texas area has 5 five-level stack interchanges along Beltway 8: at Interstate 45 north of downtown, U.S. Highway 290, Interstate 10 west of downtown, U.S. Highway 59 southwest of downtown, and Interstate 45 southeast of downtown.[1] The newly-reconstructed interchange of Interstate 610 and U.S. 59, with the new I-610 northbound feeder road built underground and the new I-610 southbound feeder road overpass, is also a five-level stack interchange.[1] In Dallas, the award-winning High Five Interchange was completed in 2005 and features some ramps which are more than 12 stories above the ground.

An alternative configuration of a five-level stack exists for dedicated HOV lane intersections. An example of this configuration exists in Los Angeles, California between Interstate 110 and Interstate 105, where the intersection has a normal four-level configuration plus a fifth level for HOV-only traffic to transition from either direction on I-105 to I-110 northbound and from I-110 southbound to either direction on I-105. This configuration allows these HOVs to avoid the congested general use lanes and ramps, particularly on Interstate 110.

In the Atlanta area, a side ramp forms the fifth level of the Tom Moreland Interchange in DeKalb County, Georgia.

In theory, stacks with more than five levels are possible. However, the amount of land required for the highest ramps increases significantly as each level is added, in order for high speed traffic to maintain velocity during the climb to the top level of the stack.
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #500
MDguy

I don't know how many levels this is, but it looks huge and its, i think proposed, for baltimore. it looks pretty big even if it isn't 5 levels

MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, interchange, junction, motorways