daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #641
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Two that I can think of are the R21/R24 interchange right outside Johannesburg's main airport (I posted a pic of this in another thread, just can't remember which one), and the N1/M5 interchange in Cape Town.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #642
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
You're recalling goofy signage, while the interchange itself comes across as being fine.
well, i'm very sensitive on left turns at motorways and interchange can be shiny and well signd the most in the world, but with left turns it all falls into the water. left turns + motorway = goofiness
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #643
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

For me the goofiest interchange in the world is between the A6 and the A86 in Greater Paris. There is simply no lane that goes from A6 southbound to A86 westbound (i.e. no lane that goes from central Paris to Versailles). Who is the fine engineer who made such a stupid interchange???!!! I once ended up way south of Paris because I wasn't able to take the A86 to Versailles thanks to that stupid interchange.

There are many other idiosyncracies in the Greater Paris freeways (like freeways without exits for miles and miles), but the A6/A86 interchange is just the most maddening.

A picture of the 'thing':

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #644
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
well, i'm very sensitive on left turns at motorways and interchange can be shiny and well signd the most in the world, but with left turns it all falls into the water. left turns + motorway = goofiness
I hear you. There are a few instances around the region here where traffic boards on the left whereafter about 100 metres traffic exits also on the left. The dumb thing about all this crap around here is it's not like the region's ever struggled for space (the island's massive enough itself).
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #645
gannman1975

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks Invincible for the tip, I'll edit my first posting and use that for future ones. Too bad we aren't allow to use Google Map's embed code.

Very nice to see quite a bit of activity here

Here is another goofy one:

There is an interchange on Maryland State Route 100 with a local road in which you have to exit from the left lane and turn left to go under the other side of the highway whilst in the median. To get back on the same direction, the reverse is true. To make matters worse, if you need to get off at Exit 1A (just to the north), you don't have much room to get over 3 lanes.

Last edited by gannman1975; June 4th, 2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added material
gannman1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #646
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Some devilish and dangerous interchanges in Lisboa (Portugal):

In the interchange between A1/CRIL/ Vasco da Gama Bridge/Airport we get this kind of crap:

Near setubal both roads continue to Lisboa (each one goes by a different bridge) ... can you read the sign over there ???

The A8 just outside of Lisboa is a sucession of a dozen interchangs (they don't even have gaps betweeen them):

there are too many over here ... can't post them all ... but will try to get some aerial images of the worst.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça

Last edited by sotavento; June 5th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #647
gannman1975

8 interchanges one after another??? Do we even want to know what rush hour is like?
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #648
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

This is one of the most unique in the world:

This is where Hong Kong, left hand drive, crosses into Mainland China at Shenzen, right hand drive. HK is on the bottom. Just try to figure out how it works.
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #649
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannman1975 View Post
8 interchanges one after another??? Do we even want to know what rush hour is like?
I just started to count and after hitting the 60 mark .. I gave up ... too many horrible highway intersections in a small section of 15x20km ... mostly are hurb by being both arterial streets and highways/motorways at the same time ... some are just an entry/exit lane that just pops out of nowhere into a major highway or into the back steets of some housing.

I officialy designate the Lisboa highway/freeway hubs as a desaster area:

Over 100 interchanges inside that area and I'm still trying to find one that is not goofy enough to be on this list ... and notice that I'm only counting interchanges wich have highways/freeways ... not any street crossing over the dam'n devilish list.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #650
gannman1975

With that many to choose from, I'd say pick the ones that are either (1) the most deadly and/or (2) the most complex. Hopefully, that will narrow things down a bit.
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #651
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
This is where Hong Kong, left hand drive, crosses into Mainland China at Shenzen, right hand drive. HK is on the bottom. Just try to figure out how it works.
The switch right/left is west of this interchange. The central spiral part of the interchange is complete left hand drive. Only thing abnormal is that the bridge consists of 2 parallel roads.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #652
ManRegio
A darle átomos.

Likes (Received): 3090

The majority of the Monterrey Interchanges are very confusing for people from out of town, because my city has several interchanges with exits from the left.
Basically I'm referring to this Interchange which was built around the 60's but nowadays it is insufficient and confusing, basically it's not enough for the amount of vehicles nowadays.

Old June 9th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #653
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

i cant find a picture, but the old Springfield Interchange in Springfield, VA was the worst intersection i have ever seen before they renovated it, not to mention it it was the busiest interchange on the US east coast
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM   #654
ggonza
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

WORLD | Widest Avenues

I opened this thread so we can add pictures of the widest avenues in the world. Atention!, no highways / motorways, just avenues.

Here i put the widest avenue in the world, the 9 of July avenue, located in Buenos Aires, Argentina:

(8/14/08 I ADD MORE) :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANOTHER AVENUE IN BUENOS AIRES:

Last edited by ggonza; August 13th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.
ggonza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM   #655
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

That one was wide, indeed!
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM   #656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

If it was grade-separated, you could do with half the number of lanes...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM   #657
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

This is truly a monumental avenue. I wonder if someone from Buenos Aires can tell us what kind of effect it has on the city, etc.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM   #658
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
If it was grade-separated, you could do with half the number of lanes...
Sure, but how you do military parades on grade-separated avenues?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM   #659
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14302

very nice!!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #660
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Sure, but how you do military parades on grade-separated avenues?
Think of North Korea

Tags
highways, interchange, junction, motorways