daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #81
Saab
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

datilguy, try google earth if you have it

I think the M7/M4 stack in Sydney or the M1/Eastlink spaghetti in Melbourne might be the largest in the southern hemisphere. Don't know for sure though.

interchange U/C in MElbourne

Saab no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #82
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab
awesome they come in fun size aswell!
Haha. Shanghai interchanges aren't that big, and neither are their highways themselves. No wonder they are jammed half the day.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #83
-

The El Toro Y in greater Los Angeles could be the worlds largest interchange:

Quote:
El Toro Y

The El Toro "Y" is a freeway interchange in southern Orange County, California where the Santa Ana Freeway, Interstate 5, and the San Diego Freeway, Interstate 405 merge. South of that point, it retains the name "San Diego Freeway" but the highway designation "Interstate 5." The junction, located in southeastern Irvine, is named for the El Toro region, itself named after the nearby Marine Corps Air Station El Toro. (The base closed in 1999 and much of the area incorporated as the City of Lake Forest).

The "Y" is one of the busiest interchanges in the world; from 1975 to 2002, daily traffic surged from 102,000 to 356,000 vehicles a day.[1] By the early 1990s it had also become one of the most congested, its severe overcrowding fed by a housing boom in southern Orange County.

In November 1990, Orange County voters approved Measure M, a half-cent increase in the county sales tax to finance transportation improvements. In 1993, the California Department of Transportation (CalTrans) began a massive expansion project, adding a new interchange at Bake Parkway, new collector/distributor lanes, and new carpool lanes and connectors. The $166-million project also vastly increased regular traffic lanes. After the project was completed in 1997, the El Toro Y stood as the widest roads in the world, at 26 traffic lanes wide.

The traffic delays at the interchange sparked the construction of several parallel bypass toll roads. The San Joaquin Hills Toll Road, designated California State Highway 73, opened in November 1996 and connects San Juan Capistrano and Costa Mesa. An extension to California State Highway 241, the Foothill Toll Road, is under development. It would bypass the El Toro Y to the east and connect to I-5 in northern San Diego County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Toro_'Y'
Pictures of El Toro Y, taken with Google Earth:

Yes, it's very massive...

Last edited by 909; April 17th, 2006 at 03:21 PM.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #84
Jimmy James
I want to do you slowly

God I wish they had more of these in Australia - we don't even have that many cloverleafs.
Jimmy James no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #85
Saab
BANNED

cloverleafs are outdated so it's good that we don't have many of them. Some countries are even replacing them with diamonds!!! Mellbourne has a modified cloverleaf and I think Brisbane has a couple.
Saab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #86
-

Not as massive but almost as busy as El Toro Y is Europe's busiest interchange: the Frankfurter Kreuz.

But there is one thing i don't understand. Why do Americans need a 26 lane expressway to handle 356,000 vehicles a day while an Autobahn with less lanes can handle relatively more cars?

Quote:
Frankfurter Kreuz

The Frankfurter Kreuz is an Autobahn interchange in the city of Frankfurt in Hesse, Germany where the autobahns A3 and A5 meet. The interchange was originally to be built from 1931 to 1933, but due to World War II construction was not finished until 1957. It underwent massive remodeling in the 1990s, as it had been frequently overloaded due to excess traffic. Today, both autobahns have ten lanes.

Two tunnels of the Cologne - Frankfurt high-speed railway line have been put below the Kreuz. The Kreuz is situated at the northeastern corner of Frankfurt International Airport.

Along with the airport and the airport's railway station, the Frankfurter Kreuz is commonly seen as a symbol of Frankfurt's good connections to the world.

With 300,000 cars daily it is the most heavily used interchange in Europe, followed by the Kamener Kreuz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurter_Kreuz

Old April 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #87
D'Transporter
A Carolinian

Probably the speed limit that is being imposed and millions of sunday drivers
D'Transporter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #88
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Great pics all around
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #89
great prairie

great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #90
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab
nah, I'm pretty sure the Dallas high5 is larger
Well I was actually talking about ugliness but sure... Dallas high5 is larger.
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #91
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

Kind of an old pic now...but fun to look at none the less. This is a pic of the toronto airport.
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #92
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1366

Having driven there, I can say it is simply amazing....
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #93
DGM

Likes (Received): 570

The Golden Glades Interchange in the very car dominated Miami.

EDIT- Just realised that someone already posted it. I'll leave it up anyways.

Last edited by DGM; April 17th, 2006 at 07:50 PM.
DGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #94
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
LOL, I guess every states have different tastes on their interchange ambition!
For LA, they like them stacks, here in Chicago, we love follow thru with mini stack!
Stack interchanges are problematic in any place that tends to get weather below freezing, because bridges always ice up so quickly, compared to roads at are part of the ground. That's why there are very few in the northern U.S. (although Cleveland conspicuously has 3 of them). Even Atlanta doesn't have any full 4 level stack interchanges, if I'm not mistaken. It's just not practical for most of the country.

That said, what Northern interchanges lack in height they make up in horizontal size. Ohio is building a lot of interchanges like the new one under construction at I-70 I-75 in Dayton, which has 3 flyovers and one loop, eliminating weaving, and allowing traffic to move through more quickly than a 4 level stack (where the speed limits on ramps are something like 40mph).
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #95
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

Minneapolis needs a stack interchange, we don't even have ONE.
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #96
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Stack interchanges are problematic in any place that tends to get weather below freezing, because bridges always ice up so quickly, compared to roads at are part of the ground. That's why there are very few in the northern U.S. (although Cleveland conspicuously has 3 of them). Even Atlanta doesn't have any full 4 level stack interchanges, if I'm not mistaken. It's just not practical for most of the country.

That said, what Northern interchanges lack in height they make up in horizontal size. Ohio is building a lot of interchanges like the new one under construction at I-70 I-75 in Dayton, which has 3 flyovers and one loop, eliminating weaving, and allowing traffic to move through more quickly than a 4 level stack (where the speed limits on ramps are something like 40mph).
Good stuff, and very true!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #97
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Montreal and Toronto have numerous 4 level stacks and the cold weather never seems to cause problems.
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #98
3Ironhead3

Likes (Received): 22

Dallas High Five

I've got a good shot of the High Five in Dallas on my desktop.Trying to figure out how to post it here.I don't see an attach option.Any suggestions?
3Ironhead3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #99
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

I would say this one in Miami gotta be the king or queen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
How about this one in Miami beach, FL?
I-95, Florida's Turnpike, US 441, FL 9, and FL 826
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #100
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909
Not as massive but almost as busy as El Toro Y is Europe's busiest interchange: the Frankfurter Kreuz.

But there is one thing i don't understand. Why do Americans need a 26 lane expressway to handle 356,000 vehicles a day while an Autobahn with less lanes can handle relatively more cars?
Americans are significantly worse drivers. Given the same number of lanes, an American expressway will become congested with fewer vehicles. Even with a surplus of lanes, traffic jams may still occur due to driver stupidity.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, interchange, junction, motorways