daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1061
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That are concrete slabs. I hate those.
I love concrete slabs. Whistle and the "clack"....loved that sound ever since I was a kid.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1062
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
image hosted on flickr

Pictures by QuantumX
1. Isn't that railway line a liiitle bit to close to the apartment building on the left?

2. Are the railways line piers actually founded *on top* of a building on the right?

3. I really don't remember seeing a railway on top of a road on top of a railway on top of a road before!!
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1063
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

are these slabs produced on-site or in some remote factory?

maybe these slabs could really speed up the construction of regular highways: pre-produce the slabs, lay them, and then lay the asphalt on them
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1064
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

The railway is probably too close to that apartment building yes I would never buy a room or house so close to a railway
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #1065
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
are these slabs produced on-site or in some remote factory?
of course on site...

its much more simple to bring the concrete in mixers and lay it with a finisher than move prefab 10-20t slabs...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #1066
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

It's important to note that the construction of I-95 through DT Miami is one of the best examples of urban destruction by freeways in the U.S. The routing of I-95 completely decimated the most vibrant black neighborhood in the city.
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #1067
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Me too, I miss this kind of freeways in Europe, where you're driving through a skyline.
There are actually two places in Europe that I know where you have that. One is on the A2-A102 in London, with the view of Canary Wharf in the distance. The other one, even more impressive, is on the D914 in Paris between the A86 and La Défense (from the A86, do not take the tunnel that goes under La Défense, but take the D914 overground instead). It feels almost like driving towards the downtown of a large American city.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #1068
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
It's important to note that the construction of I-95 through DT Miami is one of the best examples of urban destruction by freeways in the U.S. The routing of I-95 completely decimated the most vibrant black neighborhood in the city.
Thats because with just about every city that happened to, it was because the whites fled to the suburbs and the land was cheapest in these vibrant working and lower class neighborhoods.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #1069
Teh_Mascot

Long time reader of SSC.. finally time to post up.

it has been mentioned before.. but not in any Kind of detail.

The I-95, I-395, I-495 Mixing bowl project was HUGE.. and is still ongoing. The capital Beltway around Washington DC is quite possibly the most congested highway i've ever driven on. Mixing 3 states and people to commute to jobs in between the three leads to massive backups and huge delays.. that was until the VA DOT implemented and constructed the following:

You can see in this picture (Springfield Interchange)

Those 3 ramps you see at the bottom of the image used to be only ONE ramp..The I-395/495/95 Interchange project is visible at the top of the image.

in this picture, the cars facing you are ones coming south from DC.. and respectively the ones facing away from you are headed towards DC. You see the mess that construction made in this area.

I would post all the pictures i've found on the subject but that would take me HOURS to do, so All i can do for now is post up the AFTER photos of the area.

Springfield Interchange-Present

95/395/495 Interchange-Present.

If you follow I-495 East.. about 7 miles away is the Woodrow Wilson Bridge

Read more here:

http://www.wilsonbridge.com/ps-beforeAfter.htm

Also.. they are widening I-495 and adding "HOT" lanes from the big interchange to go past the Dulles Airport (Rt. 267) interchange (HOT meaning High Occupancy Toll lanes). The toll lanes (this part I don't agree with) has an adjustable rate depending on the flow of traffic.. if its a low traffic day, the tolls are lower, if its a High flow of traffic, the toll goes up... then again if you have 3 people in your car you dont pay a cent.

additonally.. for more photos of the 95/395/495 interchange please visit this site.

http://www.capital-beltway.com/Sprin...oj-Photos.html
Teh_Mascot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #1070
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Looks ugly.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #1071
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

It looks awesome actually. Thanks for the information and pictures, and also: Welcome to the forums Springfield is in Illnois right?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Lol, there is more than one Springfield. (Springfield, MA is also a larger place actually). This Springfield is a suburb of Washington D.C in Virginia.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1073
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

There is also The Simpsons' Springfield.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1074
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

In the USA, you have a high likelyhood of having a Springfield and/or Greenville in your state.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #1075
Teh_Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
It looks awesome actually. Thanks for the information and pictures, and also: Welcome to the forums Springfield is in Illnois right?
Im sorry I forgot to mention that.. Yes, it's actually Springfield, VA (technically) about 15 miles south of Washington DC.
Teh_Mascot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #1076
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Lol, there is more than one Springfield. (Springfield, MA is also a larger place actually). This Springfield is a suburb of Washington D.C in Virginia.
Once two mormons from the US rang the bell of my home; one was from Colorado, and the other one from Boston. For some reason I couldn't exactly remember where it was at the moment, so I asked him, if it was the capital of Massachusetts. He replied 'no, I think that's Springfield'. If he doesn't know the capital of his own state (which is his own city), I wonder how the hell he got here.

PS: I forgot to turn off the tap in the kitchen, so I had a flood when they left.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1077
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Springfield is the capital of Illinois
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1078
Mafia Maçônica
BANNED

Quote:
Springfield is the capital of Illinois
I thought it was the Simpson's city.

Mafia Maçônica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #1079
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
PS: I forgot to turn off the tap in the kitchen, so I had a flood when they left.
Beer tap?
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1080
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Water tap. You know I like (cold) water.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, interchange, junction, motorways