daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1161
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
People in Europe have a CHOICE as to how they get around, unlike in the U.S. where we held hostage to the automobile even though we can't make them profitably anymore.
Yep, we waste billions in mass transit systems with 90% still not riding it, similar to the United States

This induced demand nonsense gotta stop. It's all about demographical and spatial development, do you think not building freeways stops population growth? Or building a 10 lane freeway through rural Kansas gives 200,000 AADT traffic volumes? Come on man, we're not the environmental club here...

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

RV liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1162
sotavento

Likes (Received): 325

Some "tiny" portuguese interchanges:

Setubal: A2 (east-west 3400m long) crosses with A12 (north-south 2300m long)

I still haven't found a biggger one in the USA (but I only measured about 1/100th of them there yet)

Nearby (15km to the east) theres another one:

Marateca interchange: A2 (West-South) A12 (from north) A6 (from east)

The E-W and N-S lanes cross each other over the main W-S lanes ... so it's a miserable 3 stack there.

Off-the-record: in those interchanges the "direct" paths are easily manouverable at 200km/h or more (125mph)
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1163
sotavento

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
That's why you're entering the most urban stretch of A4 in Milan and it is a toll free to allow people to use it as a by-pass with no fares

Actually I dislike this solution: I think the better way would be having a nearby free bypass and no intrerchanges for tolled highway in urban stretch. Or better interchanges with the bypass at the begginning and at the end of 'urban' stretch (the one now between the two barriers)
There are solutions like that in other cities in Italy, as in Bologna, for istance
Unforunately in Milan there are no space enough nearby A4, as buildings stand few meters from it
The solution could be to dig a tunnel of more of 20 km just under it (too expensive) or build an elevated highway over the old one, as the 'secundo piso' of Mexico City bypass: I do not think it is possible to make something like that in Europe, for its heavy enviromental impact... probably in '60s or even in '70s, but not today

It is 'fault' of that North-South motorway you can see... it is another by-pass. And it has a fare only if you cross that point (I hate this kind of fares) in the interchange with A4 highway (that is tolled for the whole lenght as 'closed system', the most common in Italy, except the branch in inner Milan I told you).
Then: if you just run on the bypass you pay the bypass at the barrier you can see below on the left in the pic; if you just run on A4 you pay at the 'main' barrier in the center just for the highway; if you interchange between A4 and the bypass and viceversa you pay for highway and bypass in one of the smaller barriers

It's as complicated as that
Funny ... In Lisboa they just finished a new toll free HIGHWAY right in the middle of hte city.

And it's also called Eixo Norte-Sul (North-South axis).

On another subject completely different:

See this pictures here ???

Notice the CLOSED freeway entrances in the 1st picture (in the middle near the yellow bilboard) ... they never opened ... instead capacity was "increased" building the railway (wich even passes the bridge in the lower level).

In the north shore of the Tagus it then becames a complete mess:

Note that the Eixo N/S is hidden behind the trees to the right and a 3+3 avenue truns in the bottom of the valley ... and that there are actually 2 railways on the picture(one coming from th ebridge and one coming from the riverbed level)
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1164
FCE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Isn't one of the ones in LA the tallest? If not which is the tallest interchange? I thought it was a stack.
If I'm not mistaken, the 110/105 interchange is 122 ft high.
FCE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #1165
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Transportation modal mix has almost everything to do with land use.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM   #1166
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

This thread is a real tour de force. I would like to thank our European friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post

* Michigan actually has four stacks: I-69/I-475 (Flint), I-75/I-696, I-96/M-39, and I-94/I-96 (all Detroit). I-94/I-96 is an edge case since the ramps are pretzel-shaped, but opposite-facing DCs do not cross in plan and there are four levels, so it meets the definition of a stack.
Here's some of the pictures I took of one of the major stack interchanges in Detroit, M-39 (Southfield Fwy) and I-94 (Jeffries Fwy), which is a few miles North of my place:

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1167
Metalus

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah, its quite sad that NY and Chicago are two of the only cities you can really get away with on not owning a car. Although still being without a car would still put a big hamper on life. All my family and friends that live downtown have or share at least one car for convenience sake.
Metalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #1168
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 2

I read somewhere that the largest junction by area was the 'Orange Crush Junction' (5/22/57 Interchange) near Angel Stadium in Anaheim, CA. I don't know whether it still is though.
jandeczentar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #1169
jcm_gdl
ASCH-SCHA

Likes (Received): 3465

IMHO, as seen in the image and according to GE, the I-35E / I-635 interchange in Farmers Branch is not properly a 4L stack one, because in any point there are four levels stacked over. It is some kind of hybrid one.

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&o...,0.010074&z=17

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&o...,35.05,,0,4.31

El Amor es el Regalo Escencial; todo lo demás que se nos da sin merecerlo, se convierte en regalo en virtud del Amor
Santo Tomás de Aquino
jcm_gdl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #1170
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Some of these interchanges are stunning!
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #1171
jcm_gdl
ASCH-SCHA

I know it is a very case dependent answer, but any of you know about how much could be the cost, in a range parameters, for a complete standard stack interchange?

El Amor es el Regalo Escencial; todo lo demás que se nos da sin merecerlo, se convierte en regalo en virtud del Amor
Santo Tomás de Aquino
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1172
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

It does depend heavily on site-specific factors but as a generalization, I'd put the cost of a Maltese cross stack interchange at $250 million to $300 million. Most recently constructed stacks (I-10/BW 8, I-10/I-610, Dallas High Five, I-95/I-695 braided interchange replacement, etc.) have been in this general cost range. These were all replacements of existing interchanges, however, and greenfield construction might be significantly cheaper. The NTTA has advertised a stack for construction at the DNT/SH 121T intersection and this might well come under $200 million, since it is fairly simple with ramps diverging after exit rather than separate and braided DCs for each movement.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #1173
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

I have also gone back through the old posts in this thread, with Google Earth open, and added all the stacks others found which I had missed. (Chris found I-30/I-45 in Dallas and I-25/Northwest Parkway in Denver, and I had not yet added I-410/US 281 in San Antonio.) Then I sorted my list of stacks into alphabetical order by country and, for the US, state and city.

My findings: 64 stacks total, of which

* 29 in Texas (14 in Dallas/Fort Worth, 10 in Houston, 5 in San Antonio)

* 10 in California (7 in greater Los Angeles and 1 each in Oakland, Stockton, and San Diego)

* 4 in Michigan (3 in Detroit, 1 in Flint)

* 3 each in Arizona, New York, and Ohio

* 2 each in Alabama, Colorado, and Maryland

* 1 each in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Washington state

This listing does not include stacks currently under advertisement or missing a few direct connectors which are now under construction. I believe both applies to Texas; SH 121T/DNT has been advertised and will be a stack, and one "stack-ready" interchange in the Houston area is receiving additional direct connectors which will, I think, complete it as a stack. When finished, these projects will pull Texas' total to 31 and the US national total to 66.

For the rest of the world, I have found just 7 stacks, of which

* 3 in Great Britain (2 in greater London, 1 near Bristol)

* 1 each in China, Germany, Spain, and Venezuela

I understand more stacks have opened in China, but I have not found them. The only one I know about is the one in Shanghai.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Wetzlarer Kreuz is a weird stack in Germany. It connects with a spur freeway to the middle of nowhere.

Prins Clausplein in the Netherlands:
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #1175
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

There's a stack in Durban (South Africa).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are two stacks in New York that I know of;

New York City: I-295 x GCP
Albany: I-90 x I-787
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #1177
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Chris--there is also I-90/US 9 in Albany, which is just to the west of I-90/I-787. Also, it is not that uncommon for stacks to be "wasted" due to incomplete development of the intersecting freeways. I haven't included the Farmington stack because some of the DCs are not actually in service, but this is true of M23/M25 in Britain, I-695/I-70 in Maryland, I-5/Calif 4. in Stockton, etc.

Verso--I'll try to run down the Durban stack.

Edit: Durban now found: it's the N2/N3 interchange and has the apposite name of "Four Level Interchange."

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=-29...6&t=h&hl=en-GB

Edit (again): The stack completion contract I dimly remembered for Houston is CCSJ 3256-02-074 (Harris County), and the future stack in question is US 59/BW 8 (northern crossing):

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=29....6&t=h&hl=en-GB

Since this contract was advertised for the August 2009 letting, the construction plans are actually still on TxDOT's plans server.

ftp://planuser:[email protected]/08%20Plans

But if you want a copy, don't sit on your hands--plans stay available for six months and then they're gone!

Last edited by J N Winkler; November 9th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #1178
jcm_gdl
ASCH-SCHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
It does depend heavily on site-specific factors but as a generalization, I'd put the cost of a Maltese cross stack interchange at $250 million to $300 million. Most recently constructed stacks (I-10/BW 8, I-10/I-610, Dallas High Five, I-95/I-695 braided interchange replacement, etc.) have been in this general cost range. These were all replacements of existing interchanges, however, and greenfield construction might be significantly cheaper. The NTTA has advertised a stack for construction at the DNT/SH 121T intersection and this might well come under $200 million, since it is fairly simple with ramps diverging after exit rather than separate and braided DCs for each movement.
Thank you. I thought those were more costly

Santo Tomás de Aquino
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #1179
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

[QUOTE=J
I understand more stacks have opened in China, but I have not found them. The only one I know about is the one in Shanghai.[/QUOTE]

There appears to be only one 'true' stack of the type shown in this thread in Shanghai (the junction between the North-South Elevated Road and the Yan'an Elevated Road near People's Square) but due to Shanghai's use of elevated freeways, several others are at least as tall as stacks with several levels.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1180
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Athens: http://maps.google.nl/maps?client=fi...09645&t=k&z=17
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, interchange, junction, motorways