daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #501
prisma

Likes (Received): 2555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Really? then this is a very good news. I hope Athens will serve many routes again, which one once closed.
Tram was cut off from city's general development after the war, which means that today there's going to be a totaly different planning. After all nowadays there is an entend metro network.

My blog : bill-files.blogspot.gr

My groups on facebook
ΑΜΠΕΛΟΚΗΠΟΙ-ΑΘΗΝΑ
Hellenic Motor History

Ashis Mitra liked this post
prisma no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #502
faliro

Likes (Received): 42

Off the top of my head-

Quote:
I’ve some questions (arose after viewing some websites). Please answer one by one –

1) Left side, right side or both sides, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Athens subway network?
2) Which is the highest station & deepest of Athens metro?
3) Which is the busiest metro station?
4) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?
5) Elevated, ground level or underground, - which type of stations are in most numbers in Athens subway network?
6) When the construction of line 2 & 3 started, was the remains of old tram system of Athina discovered under the surface?
1. There are only two kinds - the "island" type platform and platforms on both sides, the latter is much more frequent than the former.

2. The Victoria station is only 2 metres under the surface which makes it the highest. I'm not sure about the deepest, although the deepest level of the Syntagma station should be one of the deepest.

3. Either Syntagma or Omonia, I'd say the former.

4. Neo Faliro, Eleonas and Sepolia.

5. Underground, by far.

6. I wouldn't think so, it's not like they were buried (that I know of), they were just removed (most of them).

faliro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #503
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1145

Faliro, thank you very much for your valuable answers relating to metro network, and now some questions relating tram network.

1) Reserved or unreserved - which type of track layout is common in Athens tramway network?
2) Which is the busiest tram terminus?
3) Where is/are the depot(s) of the tramway network?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #504
fisherboy

Likes (Received): 3

Just a few additions to faliro's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faliro View Post
2. The Victoria station is only 2 metres under the surface which makes it the highest. I'm not sure about the deepest, although the deepest level of the Syntagma station should be one of the deepest.

4. Neo Faliro, Eleonas and Sepolia.
2. I am not sure about which is the deepest station either, but I think that Eleonas station is also deep. I remember, from the few times I have used this station, that I had to stay on the automatic escalators for a long period of time, longer than usual! Also, between Egaleo and Eleonas stations is Kifissos river and line 3 had to pass low enough in order to avoid it. But on the other hand in Syntagma station two lines meet and line 3 station is directly below line 2 station so Syntagma has to be really deep!

4. There are also depots in Doukissis Plakentias and Irini.

Now trying to answer the questions about tram:

Quote:
Faliro, thank you very much for your valuable answers relating to metro network, and now some questions relating tram network.

1) Reserved or unreserved - which type of track layout is common in Athens tramway network?
2) Which is the busiest tram terminus?
3) Where is/are the depot(s) of the tramway network?
1. Mostly reserved.

2. I have no idea, maybe Neos Kosmos, because there line 2 and tram intersect!

3. There is currently one depot positioned at Elliniko, in the area of the former Elliniko airport, about 400 meters west from Argiroupoli station. I've read that a new depot is under construction in Delta Falirou and its aim is to serve Piraeus extension.

fisherboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #505
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 711

@ Ashis Mitra: You seem to be interested in the past and the present of the metro and tram network, but the future development is even more interesting:

http://www.ametro.gr/page/default.asp?id=383&la=2

Here is the shield of the TBM at Aghia Varvara station:

http://www.ametro.gr/files/construct...s_Jun14_LG.JPG

And about the (slow) progress of the tram extension to Piraeus:

http://www.ametro.gr/page/default.asp?la=2&id=5339

nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #506
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyathenian View Post
Here is the shield of the TBM at Aghia Varvara station:

1 station passed, 5 - left
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #507
ariskop

Likes (Received): 1740

Quote:
4) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?
To sum up:

Line 1
In Pireas station it is located the main maintenance and repair depot
The biggest "parking" depot is located next to Thisseion station under Acropolis hill

In Irini station (next to Olympic complex) is located another maintenance depot with 2 or 3 additional tracks.

Several medium depots across the network:
- Faliro station
- Underground depot close to Omonoia station (the old underground station)
- Attiki station

Line 2 & 3
- Sepolia (Line 2)
- Underground depot after Elliniko station (Line 2)
- Elaiwnas (Line 3)
- Doukissis Plakentias under car parking (Line 3)

Ashis Mitra, geometarkv liked this post
ariskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #508
8th Street Tavern

Likes (Received): 27

I'm visiting Athens next month, for vacation, and am staying at the Athens Ledra Hotel while there. Do any of you know the right subway lines to take to get there from the airport. I've been told to take Line 1(blue) to the Syntagma Station, then transfer to Line 2(red) and take that south to the Sygrou-Fix Station. Judging from where the hotel is on a map though, it appears that my hotel is very close to the Neo Kosmos station. Can I take Line 2 to the Neo Kosmos to get to the Athens Ledra Hotel or should I just get off at Syrgou-Fix? The hotel suggests Sygrou-Fix, but judging from the proximity on the map it appears Neo Kosmos is near walking distance to the hotel. Thanks!
8th Street Tavern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #509
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Ledra hotel is not close to any metro station. You'll have to walk for about 10 minutes either way. The advantage of Syngrou-Fix station is that it brings you to Syngrou Avenue, which is impossible to miss. If you get out at Neos Kosmos, you'll get confused in the narrow streets of the area! Another thing. Line 3 is the blue line!

By January 2016 we'll have a major breakthrough in Athens transport system. The most popular means of transport (buses) and the third most popular (trolleys) will get a telematic system installed.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w...07/2014_541324

This means that in (only) 1000 stops there will be a screen like this, showing when the next bus of each line is expected to arrive:

http://s.kathimerini.gr/resources/20...humb-large.jpg

Klausenburg liked this post
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #510
8th Street Tavern

Likes (Received): 27

Thank you, nastyathenian! Looking forward to my trip next month!
8th Street Tavern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #511
ariskop

Likes (Received): 1740

Quote:
Ledra hotel is not close to any metro station. You'll have to walk for about 10 minutes either way. The advantage of Syngrou-Fix station is that it brings you to Syngrou Avenue, which is impossible to miss. If you get out at Neos Kosmos, you'll get confused in the narrow streets of the area! Another thing. Line 3 is the blue line!
@8th Street Tavern Moreover, several buses and trolley buses serve Syngrou Avenue and you can move fast and easily from "Syngrou - Fix" metro station almost outside the hotel.

Exit from metro station through "Syngrou/Diakou Str." exit where a bus station towards the beach is located.
You can catch buses 040, 550, A2, B2 or trolley bus 10 and after only 3 stations "ΠΑΝΤΕΙΟΣ - PANTEIOS" your hotel is located.
ariskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #512
Kolerus

Metro line 4 is under construction?
Kolerus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #513
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolerus View Post
Metro line 4 is under construction?
No, still in planning
Old July 30th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #514
Antje
Public Transport Fan

From 1 September 2014 the new logo will be like this:

I've seen better than a near copy of the brand for Network West Midlands.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #515
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Line 3 extension to Piraeus - Progress of works, August 2014

NIKEA Station: The works for the construction of a foundation earthing system, soil improvement works and works for the acceptance of the main Station foundation invert have been completed. Excavation works and works for the removal of the muck (removal of the excavated material from the Station NATM tunnel access), as well as works for the waterproofing of the foundation slab and perimeter walls, the construction of the main Station permanent lining (concreting of the foundation slab from axes 8-12) and the excavation and retaining of Station NATM tunnel (phase A) are in progress;

MANIATIKA Station: Excavation works up to level 9, shotcrete application up to level 8, the construction of pre-stressed anchors up to level 8 of the Station main building and the construction of fully embedded rock bolts are in progress;

PIRAEUS Station: The works concerning EPA, water-supply, OTE networks and other providers’ networks within the OLP area, as well as the connections of the natural gas pipe transverse to Akti Kallimasioti have been completed. In the framework of the traffic arrangements, the removal of stop sheds and ticket issuing offices, as well as the works for the relocation of the kiosk located at the west sidewalk at the south end of the diversion has been completed. Moreover, the construction of water-supply networks, slabs for storm-water duct protection and the construction of manholes for the water-supply network and OLP valves have been completed. The works for the extension of the worksite occupation surface/ fencing, the construction of road-paving layers (base, sub-base), the construction of a temporary wall for OLP’s fencing, the construction of OLP balustrades and the relevant protection for OTE and PPC networks are in progress;

DIMOTIKO THEATRO Station: The works for the excavation and installation of a temporary retaining system (shotcrete – pre-stressed anchors)/ 1st excavation bottom (+10.00) have been completed, while the archaeological investigations for ancient wells and tanks, the preservation of the Project’s archaeological finds, and the excavation and installation of a temporary retaining system (shotcrete – pre-stressed anchors) for the 2nd excavation level in Aghiou Konstantinou Square are in progress. The works -in the framework of the archaeological excavations- for the removal of earth from the trench at the Ventilation Shaft are in progress;

The works for the detachment of archaeological finds (pebbled floor) for preservation purposes have been completed, while the works for the construction of temporary retaining piles in Deligianni Shaft are in progress;

Tunnel excavation works have been completed by 17%.

http://www.ametro.gr/page/default.asp?id=383&la=2#here

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

geometarkv liked this post
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #516
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Great news about metro line 4. The first section to be constructed won't be limited to the 9 km from Galatsi to downtown, but it will also reach the eastern suburbs of Kesariani and Zografou.
Total: 11.9 km with 14 stations, serving 220,000 passengers daily.
The trains are going to be fully automatic and the platforms as long as those in the existing lines (i.e. 110 m.). Usually automatic trains are shorter!
If everything goes according to schedule (which I doubt), the first passengers are going to enjoy line 4 in 2022.

http://www.ametro.gr/files/home/AM_P...9.2014_map.jpg

And the future of line 4 (our grandchildren are probably going to ride the light blue section):

http://www.ametro.gr/files/maps/AM_G...ges_Sept14.jpg

For more details in English:

http://www.ametro.gr/page/default.as...pk=283&ap=1036

Here is a detailed presentation in Greek, with a plan of each station drawn on a Google image:

http://www.ametro.gr/files/pdf/AM_Pr...esentation.pdf

Here are the 14 stations:

1. Alsos Veikou

2. Galatsi

3. Kypseli

4. Dikastiria

5. Alexandras

6. Exarhia

7. Akadimia (connection with line 2)

8. Kolonaki

9. Evangelismos (connection with line 3)

10. Kesariani

11. Near East

12. Ilisia

13. Zografou

14. Goudi

All images are from Attiko Metro's presentation, despite the different web site!

Last edited by nastyathenian; September 26th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #517
Kolerus

I heard Athens will by new tram fór extension to Pireus 😊 It´s right?How much tram Athens by?
Kolerus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #518
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolerus View Post
I heard Athens will by new tram fór extension to Pireus 😊 It´s right?How much tram Athens by?
Yes, the new Piraeus tram extension is now under construction. Planned completion in 2017. Here is the tram map from urbanrail.net:

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Old September 28th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #519
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
Great news about metro line 4. The first section to be constructed won't be limited to the 9 km from Galatsi to downtown, but it will also reach the eastern suburbs of Kesariani and Zografou.
Total: 11.9 km with 14 stations, serving 220,000 passengers daily.
The trains are going to be fully automatic and the platforms as long as those in the existing lines (i.e. 110 m.). Usually automatic trains are shorter!
If everything goes according to schedule (which I doubt), the first passengers are going to enjoy line 4 in 2022.

http://www.ametro.gr/files/home/AM_P...9.2014_map.jpg

And the future of line 4 (our grandchildren are probably going to ride the light blue section):

http://www.ametro.gr/files/maps/AM_G...ges_Sept14.jpg

For more details in English:

http://www.ametro.gr/page/default.as...pk=283&ap=1036

Here is a detailed presentation in Greek, with a plan of each station drawn on a Google image:

http://www.ametro.gr/files/pdf/AM_Pr...esentation.pdf
This line is the most needed, from Galatsi to city centre!
I go to Athína twice a year and I always stay in my friends flat in Galatsi.

I hope they finish this line before 2022, please!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #520
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Port of Piraeus - Syntagma (Athens downtown)

A very nice video from a passenger of a tour bus:

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
athens