daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #61
Landos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Many thanks for the GREAT pics of Athens Metro! I'm really excited about this project. It brings Athens inline with the top cities in the world with respect to their public transit. Go Greece!
Landos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #62
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 73

super Metro , super service !
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #63
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis
That's why many stations of Athens where they found these artifacts are now exhibiting them. Many people use to say they are not metro stations with museums inside them but in fact museums with metro stations.
That's an interesting idea, I think I remember seeing something similar in the Rome metro
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #64
Palal

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quente
1. I noticed in your photos that the ticket turnstiles at the station entrances don't appear to block the entrance; it looks like you just scan your ticket while walking by. I must be missing something but since the entrance doesn't appear to be blocked, how are people prevented from simply walking into the metro without a ticket
They are not turnstiles, they are ticket validators. The system is Proof-of-Payment and the validators are there to simply validate your ticket.
Palal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #65
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 485

Some lovely pics
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #66
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]

I have been in many metros in Europe and I can tell you that Athens Metro is definetly the most clean and refreshing Metro.

Its so inspirational, so elegant. It dosnt have the awful smells that many metros bare and its museum is as impressive as the system itself!
I thought the same, before visiting Russian metros last week...

Moscow and Saint Peterburg metros are bigger, better and cleaner.

But Athens one is close to them!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #67
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

Any new stations or extensions already finished?

Euxaristw!!
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #68
NMBS1

Likes (Received): 2

Some new pics of Athens' Metro

NMBS1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #69
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5842

very nice!
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #70
Derryn-Hinch
That's life

Nice pictures.

I wll be going there on a vacation next month.

First Greece then that magical land of Turkey

I'm Derryn Hinch
Derryn-Hinch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #71
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 102

Cool pics there....gud.

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #72
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Very beautiful stations, but trains are not so nice...

I love Athens stations!!
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #73
matthewcs

I love that mythos ad.
matthewcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #74
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

After almost 7 years of operation (the new lines that is) still remains as sparkling as it was on the very first day!

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #75
Derryn-Hinch
That's life

I like it.

A nice yerros smothered all over the seats would add to the experience.

I'm Derryn Hinch
Derryn-Hinch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #76
chico_pastor
A vida em movimento!MP :)

Modern, clean and nice system, not forgetting Athens history Really coool system
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #77
NMBS1

A few more:

NMBS1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #78
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Looks very nice, and not cheaped out! I will be there in a month's time! Can't wait!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #79
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 5240

the station looks very cool

the mythos add is great

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:06 PM   #80
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 711

Athens metro line 1, pictures never seen before

Line 1 of Athens metro started operating in 1869 between Piraeus and Thisseion. That part is at-grade, that’s why it does not appear in the list with the oldest subways in the world. The first underground section between Monastiraki and Omonoia opened in 1895. The detailed history of line 1 can be found at http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/ath/athens-metro-line1.htm
The state of this line a few years ago was deplorable. Decades of neglect had lead to very ugly and dirty stations, with plain platforms made of concrete and no ornamentation whatsoever. The two and a half underground stations in downtown Athens, i.e. Victoria, Omonoia and Monastiraki (this one is only partially underground) were infested with drug-addicts and homeless people. After the refurbishment works, which were completed just in time for the Olympic games in 2004, the stations in line 1 are among the most beautiful in Europe. Each one has a different design, which means that if you are familiar with the stations you do not have to read the signs in order to know where you are. Escalators were installed where it was necessary and all stations were made accessible to handicapped people, through ramps and elevators. Total cost of the refurbishment: 300 million Euros, an average of 12.5 million Euros per station. What remains to be done is the replacement of the tracks, so that trains can run a bit faster. Now trains take about 50 minutes to cover the 25.6 km long route. To get an idea how the stations looked before the renovation, have a look at http://www.isap.gr/erga_anaplasi.asp
The pictures on the left side show the old situation.

Kifissia
The last station to the North. Kifissia is one of the most beautiful suburbs of Athens as you can see in
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=399862

Kat

Maroussi
My favorite station in line 1. It is elevated, 6 meters above ground.

Neratziotissa
This is the newest station which was inaugurated in 2004 as an alternative access to the Olympic Stadium. It also provides a connection to the Suburban Railway. Its importance increased enormously in November 2005 with the opening of “The Mall”, a huge shopping center connected to the station through a footbridge. More about The Mall at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=286676

Irini
This station serves the Olympic Complex.

Neo Irakleio
As a part of the refurbishment of the station, an amphitheater was constructed, which hosts open-air performances.

Nea Ionia
A café operates on the footbridge linking the two sides of the station.

Pefkakia
A peculiarity of this station is that from one side it is at-grade, while from the other side it is elevated, 7 meters above ground.

Perissos

Ano Patissia
This station is elevated, 3 meters above ground. It is the first station from the North within the municipality of Athens.

Aghios Eleftherios

Kato Patissia
Before the refurbishment only half of this station was roofed. Now all of it is covered. Above the roof there is a work of modern art.

Aghios Nikolaos

Attiki
Here there is a connection with line 2, 15 meters lower.

Victoria
Despite the renovation, this station was left in its original style, with light green tiles on the walls. It lies only 5 meters below the road surface.

Omonoia
Omonoia square is synonymous with drug addiction, illegal immigrants and prostitution. During the day the place looks normal, but when shops close the most unpleasant people in Athens metro area make their appearance.
Level -1 of Omonoia station used to be a shame for the city. Lots of shops, lottery-ticket sellers, beggars playing musical instruments, homeless sleeping in blankets, drug addicts begging for 100 drachmas, loud voices and dirt everywhere. Unfortunately I have no pictures from those infamous times. Things changed dramatically in the early 90s when works for the construction of line 2 started. All shops were shut down and the junkies were kicked out. Finally in January 2000 the new station opened below the old one. This station has 33 escalators, more than any other station in the entire metro system.
Level -1, at a depth of 4 meters, became a sterilized underground passage, with no shops and no loiterers.

Level -2, line 1 station, at a depth of 7 meters, did not lose its original character, i.e. walls covered with yellow tiles, during the renovation.

Level -3, at a depth of 14 meters, is the connecting passage between lines 1 and 2.
Level -4 is the line 2 station at a depth of 23 meters.

Monastiraki
Here we are at the center of the tourist area. There is a connection with line 3, which lies 27 meters below surface.

Thisseion
This station serves the historic center of Athens and is well known to most tourists. In the evenings the area is teeming with beautiful young people strolling and having coffee. From here you can get to the Acropolis on foot in 10 minutes enjoying the most scenic view in Athens.

Petralona
The last station within the municipality of Athens.

Tavros
This station, inaugurated in 1989, introduced the concept of “Park and ride” in Athens. Formerly it also bore the name of “Eleftherios Venizelos”, but with the opening of the new airport the second name was scrapped to prevent misunderstandings.

Kallithea

Moschato
The reddish colors of the station are due to the fact that there is a carnival in Moschato every year with active participation of the tiny Brazilian community in Athens. That’s why the station had to look playful!

Neo Faliro
This station serves some sports facilities and provides access to the tramway line which runs along the coast. For an excellent photo coverage of the area, have a look at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=193530

Piraeus
This is probably the station most tourists are familiar with. Piraeus port is the gateway to the islands and the fastest way to reach it from Athens is by metro. Recently a footbridge was constructed to facilitate access to the port. Nice pics of this station, as well as of some beautiful stations in lines 2 an 3, can be seen at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=219277

geometarkv liked this post
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
athens