daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like deconstructivism?
yes 11 40.74%
no 7 25.93%
sometimes 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 14th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #1
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

The Deconstructive Movement

It is a contemporary style that primarily counters the ordered rationality of Modern Architecture. The underpinnings of this movement include ideas of fragmentation, non-linear processes of design, non-Euclidean geometry, negating polarities such as structure and envelope, and so on. The final visual appearance of buildings in this style are characterised by a stimulating unpredictability and a controlled chaos. However, critics of Deconstruction see it as a purely formal exercise with little social significance.

Some important architects in the deconstructive movement
Gehry
hadid
eiserman
calatrava
koolhaas
libeskind
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #2
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

examples of deconstructivism
libeskind

gehry

calatrava

koolhaas

"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Old January 14th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #3
Quente
Al-l-,

Likes (Received): 14

I like Deconstructivism. There is an exuberance of 3-dimensional form - almost like they're trying to defy the laws of gravity. And the sculptural quality and movement expressed in the work is quite compelling as well. I also enjoy the use of non-traditional building materials. I guess that's what I like best about the style: Deconstructivism is full of surprises.

Having said that, I find it unfortunate how the Deconstructivist style gets "value-engineered" and diluted in projects designed by less talented individuals (and, to be fair, by projects with more modest budgets). Although the whole high-style vs. low-style conflict has existed for quite some time, it's a shame to see uninspired boxes adorned with a cantilever or two trying to pass themselves off as Deconstructivist.

The examples that you show above are the "Mercedes" of the movement; while most people only see the Volkswagen Bugs. It is a shame that more people aren't exposed to the really good examples, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Kent
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #4
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I find it to be very disturbing achitecture.
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #5
Alboboy11
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

theres more of gehry...love it!
Alboboy11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #6
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Likes (Received): 81

I'm a fan of deconstructivism, in particular Koolhaas, Eisenman, and Libeskind not the biggest fan of Gehry though.

Federation Square by Lab and Bates Smart, in Melbourne's a fine example.

Old January 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #7
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quente
I like Deconstructivism. There is an exuberance of 3-dimensional form - almost like they're trying to defy the laws of gravity. And the sculptural quality and movement expressed in the work is quite compelling as well. I also enjoy the use of non-traditional building materials. I guess that's what I like best about the style: Deconstructivism is full of surprises.

Having said that, I find it unfortunate how the Deconstructivist style gets "value-engineered" and diluted in projects designed by less talented individuals (and, to be fair, by projects with more modest budgets). Although the whole high-style vs. low-style conflict has existed for quite some time, it's a shame to see uninspired boxes adorned with a cantilever or two trying to pass themselves off as Deconstructivist.

The examples that you show above are the "Mercedes" of the movement; while most people only see the Volkswagen Bugs. It is a shame that more people aren't exposed to the really good examples, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Kent

very good point....theres always a problem when up in coming architects decide to use deconstructivism on projects that dont have the budget to use such a high cost,in which they start chipping away on the projects details in order to make the budget.giving you CRAP

Old January 14th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Quente
Al-l-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
I find it to be very disturbing achitecture.
TalB -

That's an interesting reaction - could you write more about why you feel this way? What is it specifically that about the style that you find disturbing?

Thanks - Kent
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #9
TalB
Refugee

Since you asked Quente, I find deconstructivism to be unispiring. Some of these architects seem as if they are building something that is totally unrealistic. The worst architects out of this bunch are Daniel Libeskind and Frank Gehry, who build the worse styles ever and tend to repeat them in almost every style. I will never forget the Music Ctr in Seattle that looks like nothing but a blob when I walked by it, which shows how ugly Gehry is. Libeskind's architecture tends to represent death too much wheather it's the Jewish Museum in Berlin or even with the hated Freedom Tower. When I saw a rendering for the expansion of the Denver Museum of Art, I thought that Al Qadea was there.
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #10
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Likes (Received): 81

A couple of interesting projects by Coop Himmelblau.

Attice conversion, Vienna.

UFA Cinema Centre, Dresden

Old January 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #11
Boris550
Technocrat

Likes (Received): 8

I like some of Calatrava's work but in general I dislike this style.
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #12
John-Claude
SNAFU

Likes (Received): 7

It depends. I really like the Koolhaas buildings. But the rest ranks somwhere between "alright" and "purely disgusting".

-23-12-05: Starting the Culture Invasion Tour 2006 with the German Banner (most controversial banner of all times!!!)
John-Claude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #13
moxwax

I like Calatrava's work. He makes large buildings and structures look "airy" (I guess would be the word).

However, the rest of this style -especially Libeskind and Gehry- I find to look literally like garbage. I usually compare seeing a deconstructivist building to looking at a scrapheap. For example:

Last edited by moxwax; January 20th, 2006 at 08:56 AM.
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:50 PM   #14
micro

Likes (Received): 102

I like it. It's not so boring.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM   #15
TalB
Refugee

Ghery's InterActiveCorp HQ doesn't have its exterior yet, but it's already feeling out of place with the rest of Chelsea, in Manhattan.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:27 AM   #16
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Of course it is all in the eye of the beholder, but, there should be a difference between a scrapheap and an architectural design--- the architecture should convey an easily observable intelligent design rather than the randomness of a scrapheap. If we look at a pile of stones, it may be difficult to tell if is is in this configuration by accident or if they were placed this way on purpose. If we look at a heap of stones forming a perfect pyramid, we immediately conclude that is was DESIGNED that way. Like the Golden Rectangle of the greek temples, it is immediately obvious thought lay behind the design.
I agree some Gehry projects push the scrapheap appearance and I do not care for them, but others, such as Calatrava are very beautiful.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:01 AM   #17
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

It really depends. I like some of the deconstructive styled buildings that don't scream "attention *****" as much as some of the others.
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #18
TalB
Refugee

We don't really need to see the rendering for the InterActiveCorp HQ b/c it will look similar to Concert Hall, which was done in LA.
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #19
SebasvandenBrink
Urban Fetishist

Likes (Received): 12

I love deconstructivism because it creates a great contrast in it's surrounding area. As if something's wrong with the building (there isn't of course) in comparison to the normal, straight and visibly structurally sound buildings around.

To make a long story short; Cool.
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #20
TalB
Refugee

Even if the Atlantic Yards complex doesn't go through, Ghery still has the InterActiveCorp HQ, so it's not a total loss.