daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #281
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_Uru View Post
Your point fails when you actually talk rubbish. Your statement is a bit like you claiming a blue shirt is actually red, when everyone else see's the red shirt execpt you. This is your delusion.

Your ignorance is astounding, the fact is the "shirt is red" is socially constructed. Red, blue, etc. do not signify the actual colour of x, our socially accepted notion of what red or blue is. There was a famous experiment where a person was put in a room where they showed colours. The colour they showed was lets say, in our parlance, blue. The entire audience said, "red", eventually most of the individuals started to say red, even though they "knew" it was "blue". Who is being delusional here then? Because I do not conform with your, and the majority's "redist" interpretation? Unable, and unwilling to accept the world of the apparent?
I love this one, "ignorance". Which is defined as a state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information. You certainly are ignoring everything everyone posts here.

If I am ignorant in your mind simply because I ignore you, then it proves my point entirely.

You walked right into that one.

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #282
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58043

We need that Nico guy for the German forum. Bringing entertainment to a whole new level.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #283
MikaGe
jicky jicky jicky

Likes (Received): 1

Geez, thing's been goin deep in the last 4 pages...

Ehhmm, just wanna asked why the original castle and Berliner Dom appear darker in those old pics? The dom looks better in reddish tone, imo.

One more thing, I think it's not necessary to remove those commie buildings. I believe there are people gonnabe appreciating it, including me. The uniformity & dullness in massive scale somehow evoke a strange sensation. Whenever I think about Berlin, I never imagine a city with baroque architecture. The ideology perhaps has been obsolete these days, but not the byproducts, such as design & architecture.
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #284
Nico_Uru

Likes (Received): 6

Oh, you don't?

Where have I said I didn't? My implication by pointing that out to JustMe is that I am engaging a partial, political-ideological discussion; at least I have the ability to concede that. I do not believe it is possible to discuss any issues from an "objective" position, however, that is exactly what JustMe is TRYING to do since he has "truth" on his side. So accuse me of something that I did or said not what you think I said or did.

I love this one, "ignorance". Which is defined as a state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information. You certainly are ignoring everything everyone posts here.

Tard-box, if I were ignoring what everyone said on this forum, I wouldn't have even bothered to answer anyone's questions. I heard what some people had to say, and I think its crap. You are still engaging in a logical fallacy to support your non-existent argument.

If I am ignorant in your mind simply because I ignore you, then it proves my point entirely.

Uh-huh you are more than ignorant because your words contradict your actions...how stupid are you?

Visit: http://perspectivos.blogspot.com/
Nico_Uru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #285
Jimmy McShane
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Is this construction going to involve taking the balcony off the Staatsratsgebäude?
Jimmy McShane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #286
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5551

No, it stays were it is.
Will be funny in the future to see the reconstruction and the original right beside each other.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #287
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_Uru View Post
Oh, you don't?

Where have I said I didn't? My implication by pointing that out to JustMe is that I am engaging a partial, political-ideological discussion; at least I have the ability to concede that. I do not believe it is possible to discuss any issues from an "objective" position, however, that is exactly what JustMe is TRYING to do since he has "truth" on his side. So accuse me of something that I did or said not what you think I said or did.

Tard-box, if I were ignoring what everyone said on this forum, I wouldn't have even bothered to answer anyone's questions. I heard what some people had to say, and I think its crap. You are still engaging in a logical fallacy to support your non-existent argument.

Uh-huh you are more than ignorant because your words contradict your actions...how stupid are you?
Well, look at it this way.

I get to look at the new Palace and enjoy it's beauty.

You get to look at the new Palace and ponder all your political ideological battles.

I'll walk away happy. You'll probably walk away in misery, angry at the loss of communism and entertain your fantasies regarding the rise of imperialism

Maybe you should lighten up a little.
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #288
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Well said.

Old July 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #289
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

This whole project is a disgrace for the city of Berlin. In stead of opting for a spectacular modern building or just renovating the old building, they choose to build a Disney castle... This kind of project just makes me sick

What do the Berliners themselves think about this? And I mean the general public, not just on this forum...
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #290
CrayZD

Likes (Received): 576

As a matter of fact, it depends on who is asking.

Infratest dimap, renowned German polling firm, but the poll was done in order of the Förderverein Berliner Schloss e.V. that supports the reconstruction. Anyway, one should assume Infratest dimap to be neutral.

Representative poll among the population of Berlin, December 2008:
What kind of development do you prefer for the Schlossplatz area?

58% Rebuild the Stadtschloss
34% Build something completely new
05% PdR shouldn't have been demolished
03% Don't know

Pro reconstruction, by East/West

East Berlin 51%
West Berlin 63%

Pro reconstruction, by age (excerpts)

18-25y 71%
25-30y 69%

That's pretty interesting indeed!

Super Illu, an East-German popular magazine

Representative poll in East Berlin, December 2008:
Rebuild the Stadtschloss?

35% Yes
61% No
04% Don't know

To understand the results (especially the pro-modern faction), one should know how Germans think about public investment. Among the 34% who say 'build something completely new', I'd estimate that there are at least 25% who mean 'build something inexpensive'. So they don't take part in the discussion 'modern vs historical', but they dismiss a representative building in general because they think their taxes are just squandered for it.
CrayZD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #291
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Many old landmarks and even entire cities and towns (or whole neighbourhoods) had been destroyed in the bombardments of WW2. And many had been rebuilt as it was, and there are some others which are demolished and rebuilt.

Example, the old city centre of Warsaw, which had been rebuilt, with the same bricks soon after. Old palaces and castles were rebuilt as late as the 1990s.

If the said building is (or was) of historical / cultural / religious / special significance, I rather have it rebuilt. But for me, the rebuilding must be as much as possible, an exact duplicate of the building.

The old building is gone, but if the building has had a very significant place in the history of the city, I feel that a rebuilding is better than a new building which is nothing related to the old one. At the least, people can still see it as it was last time.

I don't understand why the mods are not doing anything about this political discussion in this thread. From a thread about the reconstruction of an old building, it had became a debate on communism vs democracy, etc.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #292
erbse
LIBERTINED

The political discussion is ok in this case, I'd say. The thread isn't exactly about the reconstruction itself, but the process of the PdR demolition and the ongoing debate what should follow.

Old July 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #293
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboe View Post
This whole project is a disgrace for the city of Berlin. In stead of opting for a spectacular modern building or just renovating the old building, they choose to build a Disney castle... This kind of project just makes me sick
How is it a Disney castle? If we had built a copy of Versailles in the middle of Berlin, I could get your point but that obviously isn't going to be the case.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #294
Pablo323
_

Likes (Received): 1086

Whoah.

Pablo323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #295
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
How is it a Disney castle? If we had built a copy of Versailles in the middle of Berlin, I could get your point but that obviously isn't going to be the case.
The original one was made by skilled artisans, who spent all their lives working on their skills. Paintings, decorations, statues, etc which are made now will be copies, no matter what, and furthermore the building techniques are very different, so I don't see how this building can be considered a valuable addition to the Berlin landscape...

(Disney may have been a bit exaggerated though)
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #296
Seanna
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Air Jordan 1 Retro High Ostrich

Here's another Air Jordan I Retro High colorway, this time with a sleek all-black look. Three grades of material have been used for the upper: mesh, full-grain leather, and ostrich leather, made popular by the Ostrich Dunk Lows. They are scheduled for release on July 7, 2009, but you can preorder a pair now on RMK.
Full size pics at Air 23.

Seanna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #297
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Nice palace.

(Could someone please delete that crap? )

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #298
Utopian
Custos Septentrionum

Likes (Received): 297

It was rather impressive, seeing the Palast der Republik being torn down last year. I guess the site is another empty place in Berlin right now.

I am curious what the new Stadtschloss will look like, especially after I read that the interiour will be completely modern, and also the eastern facade (facing the Spree) will not be a reconstruction, but a glass facade. That's kind of understandable, hence the original eastern facade was partially renaissance; remaining parts of an earlier Stadtschloss (which would be extremely hard to reconstruct).

I hope though that the Schloss won't look as bright and shiny as they depict on the models. On the other hand, when it was originally built around 1700, it would also have looked brand new...

- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Utopian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #299
CrayZD

Likes (Received): 576

I think that's a problem with sandstone. It looks very bright when it's new, darkening naturally over the years - at least if it's not specially treated in any way. We are used to seeing it dark (like the facade of the Berliner Dom), but I guess that formerly every building looked like the rebuilt Frauenkirche in Dresden, for example.
CrayZD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #300
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

One last point...if the PdR had looked like this, I wouldn't have had a problem with keeping it:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, castle