daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #2041
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

What about Türkismühle-Gau electrification? Wouldn´t it shorten the distance of the Paris-Frankfurt ICEs and TGVs? or the track is in bad shape?
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2042
thtc

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
Thanks for all the updates, JumpUp! Yeah, if you check the legend carefully, you see that the colours of the line and the colours of the Planfeststellungsabschnitte (= project approval section) mean something different. I thought that they are now used as backup for national service?! They also don't have a permission for France or other countries yet.
At the moment 4 of the 16 new ICE3 trains (Series 407) will be used for testing the trains in passengerservices. Together with four additional trains they will be used as back-up for domestic services (these trains properly lack the equipement for international services, which is not confirmed as far as I know). The remaining 8 trains will be used for homologation purposes for services to France and Belgium. At the moment the trains lack equipement to be used in The Netherland and the Channal tunnel.
thtc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2043
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
I thought that they are now used as backup for national service?! They also don't have a permission for France or other countries yet.
Should be no problem at all. There's a cross acceptance agreement between EBA and EPSF:

http://www.eba.bund.de/SharedDocs/Ak...2052?nn=505128
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #2044
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Yes, but it doesn't seem like it's moving beyond plans any time soon.
Why should it? There are plenty of other railway lines whose electrification is more urgent than a line in the remotest part of the country.

Once this list of electrification projects have been processed one may turn to the Hochrhein line:
Puttgarden-Lübeck
Wilhelmshaven-Oldenburg
Weimar-Gössnitz
Knappenrode-Horka (under construction)
Hof-Regensburg
Hof-Bayreuth-Nürnberg
München-Mühldorf-Salzburg
Ulm-Friedrichshafen
Geltenhausen-Memmingen-Lindau
Old January 18th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #2045
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It's not that remote, Rhine valley is quite densely populated on both side of the border. No big cities, though.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #2046
thun

And not an important route neither for national rail nor freight trains.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #2047
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Once this list of electrification projects have been processed one may turn to the Hochrhein line:
Puttgarden-Lübeck
Wilhelmshaven-Oldenburg
Weimar-Gössnitz
Knappenrode-Horka (under construction)
Hof-Regensburg
Hof-Bayreuth-Nürnberg
München-Mühldorf-Salzburg
Ulm-Friedrichshafen
Geltenhausen-Memmingen-Lindau
I really thought that some of this lines already had been electrified. Some of those projects date back at least at the BVWP of 1985, still nothing happened
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:57 PM   #2048
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

It was made official today that Deutsche Bahn gets a 17th Velaro ICE train as compensation for the big delay in delivery.

I'm not sure if construction of that train has already started! The original 17 th train for Deutsche Bahn was sold from Siemens to Turkey.
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2049
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

15 trains of the original order + 1 train to replace a crashed ICE 3 + 1 train for the delays + 1 train to Turkey, IIRC

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #2050
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Today:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...ney-times.html

Study sets out ways to cut Denmark - Hamburg journey times
30 Jan 2014

Bridge over the Kiel Canal at Rendsburg (Photo: DB/Günter Jazbec).
A tunnel could avoid the spiral needed to access the bridge over the Kiel Canal at Rendsburg (Photo: DB/Günter Jazbec).

EUROPE: Passenger journey times on the 337 km route between Aarhus in Denmark and Hamburg in Germany could be reduced by 97 min to 2 h 53 min without requiring major infrastructure works, according to a study undertaken by Atkins on behalf of 17 local authorities.

Atkins has produced a series of proposals to speed up services:
  • 27 min would be saved if all trains were to travel at the speed of the fastest current DSB and DB services on the corridor;
  • 17 min could be saved by reducing the number of stops to five;
  • Time would be saved by stopping trains at Flensburg-Weiche station on the direct line, rather than the more central main station which is situated on a loop. This has been agreed by the local authority.
Between 15 and 27 min would be saved as a result of upgrading works planned for 2015-25, including:
  • Track doubling underway between Vamdrup and Vojens;
  • Electrification and resignalling which is now underway;
  • Work to eliminate tight curves which has been approved under Denmark's national project to offer 1 h journey times between main cities.
In the longer term, a tunnel under the Kiel Canal at Rendsburg would eliminate the 4·4 km spiral used to gain height to cross the ship canal on a combined rail and transporter bridge.

The cost of the works in the Flensburg and Rendsburg areas is still to be calculated, but the local authorities are to explore options to develop the scheme.

The reduced journey times would be competitive with Aarhus - Hamburg car journeys, which Atkins says take around 3 h 20 min. Atkins estimates that ridership between Jylland and Hamburg could increase by 500 000 journeys/year, doubling current traffic, and regional passenger journeys could grow by 60%.

Die_Heart_Mansoor liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #2051
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

I didn't even realise there is this really rather impressive bridge.
TedStriker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #2052
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post

I didn't even realise there is this really rather impressive bridge.
Agree. Here is the map of the loop. Are there the altitude differences at this loop, isn't it?

More photos from Wikipedia about this bridge:

Old January 31st, 2014, 03:17 AM   #2053
Iwan

Likes (Received): 3682

utrzymuje sama, mają bardzo dobre współczynniki niezawodności.
****** http://www.eu07.pl/ ******* http://rail.phototrans.eu/ *******

Die_Heart_Mansoor, Vaud liked this post
Iwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 05:34 AM   #2054
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Wow, this bend is almost as amazing as this one:

KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 01:35 AM   #2055
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

What's going on with Hohenzollern Brücke in Köln? I hear traffic will be heavily limited for urgent works on one of the bridges.

I have a doubt about the Berlin - Hamburg tracks approaching Hamburg Hbf. I see that the tracks split just before Rothenburgsort S-Bahnhof. Then there is a single track up to Berliner Tor, where the line meets the Vogelfluglinie; while the other goes south following the freight bypass line and then into Hbf.

How is traffic from Hbf towards Berlin actually routed? Via the "southern way" or the single track "Berliner Tor - Rothenburgsort" is actually used in both directions?
Unluckily, there is a lack of cabview videos of that part of Hamburg...

Also, I know there are extensive rebuilding works on the line in what is now called the HafenCity, but I can't find a plan showing the final setup of the tracks.
In general, I'd like to know the planned routings between Hbf and Harburg (ICE, RE, freight...).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:33 AM   #2056
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

There is a discussion about Hamburg Hbf reconstruction here, but as a non-local I got lost. Maybe you can find some answers there though: http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/fore....php?2,6745188
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #2057
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...rttemberg.html

IC double-deckers to serve Baden-Württemberg
07 Feb 2014

GERMANY: Inter-city operator DB Fernverkehr has reached agreement with Baden-Württemberg to introduce double-deck inter-city trainsets on its Gäubahn route between Stuttgart and Zürich. A fleet of 17 push-pull trainsets will provide an hourly service from December 2017.

In order to free up paths for the enhanced IC service, the Land has agreed that DB Regio can discontinue the current two-hourly Regional Express service between Stuttgart and Singen. Under a contract signed in Böblingen on February 6 by DB Fernverkehr CEO Berthold Huber and the Baden-Württemberg Minister of Transport & Infrastructure Winfried Hermann, the IC trains will also carry regional passengers using local public transport tickets at no additional charge; the Land will make up any loss of revenue.

Despite calling at the intermediate stations currently served by the RE trains, the IC trains will still be able to maintain the existing 3 h journey time between Stuttgart and Zürich. However, the hourly path will change in December 2015 to improve connections in Stuttgart Hbf with services to and from Köln, Frankfurt, Nürnberg and München.

'With this concept we take a major step to improve transport links to the Gäubahn', said Hermann. 'Passengers will benefit from an IC quality train every hour, with better connections to long-distance trains in Stuttgart and Zürich'. However, she pointed out that this could only be an 'interim solution', as a reduction of the end-to-end journey time to 2 h 15 min has previously been agreed with Switzerland.

DB Fernverkehr ordered a fleet of 27 double-deck IC trainsets from Bombardier in January 2011, with the intention that the first would be delivered by December 2013. As well as the Gäubahn, DB plans to use them on the east-west IC service linking Karlsruhe, Pforzheim, Stuttgart, Aalen and Nürnberg.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2058
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

Old February 17th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #2059
mikoCZ

Likes (Received): 72

10. Erlebnis Modellbahn, Dresden
mikoCZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #2060
dimlys1994

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...belt-contract/

Companies invited to prequalify for Fehmarnbelt contract
24 FEB, 2014

Femern A/S has invited companies to apply for pre-qualification to supply the electrical and mechanical systems for a planned 18-kilometre immersed tunnel between Germany and Denmark.

The fixed link tunnel, which will connect the German island of Fehmarn with the Danish island of Lolland, will reduce the current journey time by ferry from 45 minutes to seven minutes by rail.

The Fehmarnbelt tunnel is due to open in 2021.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post