daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #2141
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...st-centre.html

Work begins on €80m brake test centre
29 Apr 2014

GERMANY: Knorr-Bremse held a groundbreaking ceremony on April 28 to officially launch construction of an €80m brake system test and development centre at its headquarters in München.

The centre will bring together the testing and development activities of the company’s Rail Vehicle Systems and Commercial Vehicle Systems groups. It has been designed by architectural practice HENN around Knorr-Bremse’s philosophy of facilitating communication between the test systems on the ground floor, laboratories on the first floor and engineering and development above.

There will be around 100 rigs for technical testing and quality assurance, including rigs able to simulate the behaviour of 100-wagon freight trains meeting the various technical standards used in Western Europe, the USA and Russia.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #2142
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

New Dutch-German regional services planned
May 07, 2014

AUTHORITIES in northwest Germany and the Netherlands have reached an agreement to finance a new cross-border regional service between Bielefeld, Osnabrück, and Hengelo as part of the new Teutoburger Wald regional concession, which is due to start in December 2017.

Under the deal between Westphalia-Lippe Local Transport Association (ZNWL), Lower Saxony Regional Transport, and the public transport authorities of the Dutch province of Overijssel and the Twente region, RB61 services currently operated by Westfalenbahn will be extended beyond the border station at Bad Bentheim to serve stations in the Netherlands. The distance by rail between Bad Bentheim and Hengelo is 26.1km, 18km of which is in Dutch territory.

Operating costs for the service are expected to be around €2.55m, of which €1.55m will be covered by Dutch public transport authorities. The German states of North Rhine-Westphalia and Lower Saxony will contribute €250,000 and €750,000 respectively.

At present the only cross-border service between Bad Bentheim and Hengelo is the two-hourly regular-interval inter-city service between Amsterdam Central and Berlin East. In December 2013 the so-called Grensland Express, an hourly regional service operated by Dutch train and bus operator Syntus between Hengelo and Bad Bentheim, was withdrawn due to insufficient ridership. This service was funded by the European Union.

The extension of RB 61 into the Netherlands will require a fleet of trains capable of operating under both the German 15 kV ac and Dutch 1.5kV dc electrification systems.

A tender notice has already been published in the Official Journal of the European Union to invite operators to bid for the contract, which runs for 15 years from December 2017 and covers the operation of around 5.3 million train-km per year. In addition to RB 61, the concession includes four other routes in Germany:
  • RB 65 Münster – Rheine
  • RB 66 Rheine – Osnabrück
  • RB 72 Paderborn – Altenbeken – Herford, and
  • RB 78 Nienburg – Bielefeld (– Rheda – Wiedenbrück)
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2143
milipumba

Likes (Received): 467

http://www.schleswig-holstein.de/STK...hmarnbelt.html

Are these plans on "track". And if they are, what is the time schedule.
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #2144
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

Old May 18th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #2145
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

A very speciel location, such a photo can not be made anywhere else :-)

Freudenstadt Hbf. by Attus74, on Flickr

Deo liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #2146
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Munich Central railway station, june 2008.

A busy railway station. Very pleasant, spacious, light, clean, easilly accessible.

Deo liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #2147
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

And depressingly boring, if you ask me. The place needs to get a general aesthetic overhaul, every time it's like arriving into a sad industrial building.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #2148
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
And depressingly boring, if you ask me. The place needs to get a general aesthetic overhaul, every time it's like arriving into a sad industrial building.
I dont agree. It's spacious and easy to navigate compared to Hamburg Hbf which feels crowded, dirty, gloomy, outdated, old fashioned, difficult to survey and it's hard to find your way around there as a first time visitor.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #2149
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

It's neither terrible nor great: basically it's like a big aircraft hangar or convention hall. If it gets the job done efficiently, good enough.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #2150
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I'm not saying it's not functional, I'm saying it's ugly as hell. Such an important station must also be aesthetically appealing, after being functional.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2151
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I'm not saying it's not functional, I'm saying it's ugly as hell. Such an important station must also be aesthetically appealing, after being functional.
Which large station in Germany do you think is beautiful? I can't think of any, but then I've seen less than half of them...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #2152
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Berlin Hbf, Dresden Hbf...
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #2153
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Which large station in Germany do you think is beautiful? I can't think of any, but then I've seen less than half of them...
Berlin Hbf. looks good.
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #2154
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I like Frankfurt am Main Hbf.
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #2155
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Most main stations in Germany have really nice buildings (even if sometimes the track area is not nice in the same way):
- modern ones: Berlin Hbf, the new Leipzig City Tunnel stations.
- classics: Leipzig, Dresden, Köln, Hannover, Nürnberg, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Karslruhe, Mannheim, Osnabrück, Berlin Ost, Bremen, Lübeck...

There are other ugly stations (Altona, Essen, Duisburg, Dortmund, Düsseldorf) and others I find simply boring (Würzburg, Rosenheim, Stuttgart). I'm still not sure about Berlin Zoo, it's that sort of "minimal ugly" that turns into something interesting

But München Hbf, together with Altona, wins the prize. That's not a station, that's an industrial depot of the '60s...

[IMG]http://images.*****************/bilder/historische-eisenbahnen/db-1949-1993/nachtzug-d2189-meteor-muenchen-hbf-31101989-5bbe32ae-780d-4294-b46e-45162a11e227.jpg[/IMG]

They should immediately reclad those old grey walls, to make it less "boxy", and maybe introduce some light effects for the glass façade over the tracks (maybe giving it a "single frame" effect).
And do something radical outside, it seems a run-down mall or an office block of a failing company...

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:31 AM   #2156
Suburbanist
on the road

They could build something new above tracks... I'd suggest something from Calatrava, but his projects have been having problems on implementation due to limited executive drawings, so they could bring another world-class architect to build a new station.

However, I don't think the money is there. They even dropped the maglev to the airport
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:14 AM   #2157
Wilhem275
The Transporter

You don't need to go that far, a simple recladding would do enough.

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:12 PM   #2158
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
There is movement in the project for a new central station in Munich.

The office of Auer + Weber was contracted to do the general planning for the new station. The new station will be built around the second city cross rail for suburban trains with two more platforms around 42 m deep.

Munich central has about 450.000 passengers daily as one of the busiest stations worldwide and is a local hub for metro links (U1, U2, U4 and U5).
How soon people forget. A visual improvement for Munich is underway. The prizewinner above has been asked to make revisions though in order to save cost. Nonetheless I do not think we can expect the sleek new architecture of Austrian rebuilt stations, and for the matter of price reduction, it might end up a compromise to this.

Wilhem275, Rapter liked this post

Last edited by Baron Hirsch; May 21st, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:24 PM   #2159
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Well, that's a hell of an improvement

I also like the concept of having a wide plaza in front of the station (and maybe a wider corridor from the entrance to the tracks area).

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:28 PM   #2160
Suburbanist
on the road

Are there reconstruction plans for Duisburg Hbf?