daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #2341
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
The only connection Germany has built to Austria lately is the utterly stupid and complete waste of tax money A94.
For your information, the A 94 is the most urgent transport project in the east of Bayern. The money is well spent there as it not only adds badly needed capacities but will also improve the safety of roads in the entire area. Furthermore will the A 94 not even provide a direct connection to Austria.

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #2342
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
For your information, the A 94 is the most urgent transport project in the east of Bayern. The money is well spent there as it not only adds badly needed capacities but will also improve the safety of roads in the entire area. Furthermore will the A 94 not even provide a direct connection to Austria.
Well of course there won't be any connection as Austria has already stated the project is completely unnecessary. It would be enough to electrify the railway connection, lay a second track and make the B12 2+1. By doing so many truck loads could be done by rail instead (as the companies wish to do, but can't due to lack of capacity) and the second railway track would also create a rail connection for commuters as the current connection can only be described as inexistent. All these measures would heavily improve the situation without the necessity to built a new Autobahn. The only improvement the A94 has to offer is making sure commuters reach the traffic jam in Munich faster. Let alone the tremendous price hikes due to the brilliant PPP brainfart.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #2343
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3716

I'm not familiar with politics in Germany and Austria, but I think the transportation sector should pressure the German government and DB in investing in better connections between DE and AT.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #2344
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
This is a process that currently works visually and/or verbally and thus prone to error. But the way you describe it would mean that in the very unlikely event of a major GSM-R malfunction not a single train is able to move an inch anymore after it has used up it's movement authority, regardless of where it is. Or is there an altenate procedure for that? Anyway, I see lots of potential for things that could go wrong.
You are right, should the GSM-R network or the RBC go down then all trains that depend on that piece of infrastructure will come to a standstill. It's then up to engineers and signallers to work out a plan. Usually this will lead to bringing the trains to the next station and evacuating it there.

The chances of GSM-R or the RBC going down are slim, both components are safety critical infrastructure and various degrees of redundancy are built-in when deploying them.

Quote:
As far as I know SR is also used for trains that do not exactly know where they are (yet), because they haven't passed a balise yet.
That's correct!
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #2345
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I'm not familiar with politics in Germany and Austria, but I think the transportation sector should pressure the German government and DB in investing in better connections between DE and AT.
The boarder connection is still good enough for freight traffic and the problem in the case I described in the post above yours is limited to Germany. However, industry does push the German government to build the Brenner feeder.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #2346
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Well of course there won't be any connection as Austria has already stated the project is completely unnecessary.
Since when do German transport projects need the consent of Austrians? Just to remind you, we build the transport links that serve Germany well. That includes a motorway on the A 94 corridor, which is well due, regardless of what you think of it. And as for border-crossing links with Austria, all rail or road connections have sufficient capacities, at least on the German side.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #2347
telemaxx

Likes (Received): 2662

Border connections

Some important border connection projects I can think of. Clockwise:

Denmark: Hinterlandanbindung Fehmarnbelttunnel. Upgrade and electrification planned until opening of tunnel (2021), later doubling of tracks (until 2028).

Poland: Dualling and electrification of Knappenrode - Horka mostly for freight trains (until 2017)

Czech Republic: no information

Austria: Upgrade for Brenner base tunnel necessary, nothing specific yet

Switzerland: Upgrade/new rail line (four-track expansion) Karsruhe-Basel, construction partly finished, partly u/c, partly planned, finished somewhen after 2030

Better connection Munich-Zurich planned, nothing specific yet, afaik

France: POS South, there is a high-speed gap between the Karlsruhe-Basel line and Strassbourg. Planned, but very unspecific.

Luxembourg: no information

Belgium: no information

Netherlands: Upgrade, third track and more capacity between Emmerich and Oberhausen (part of Rotterdam - Genua). Currently detailed planning and consenting process.

All in all, there are a lot of projects planned for improvement and more capacity, however, often there is no secure financing, so that projects take ages.

Most projects can be found here (German): http://www.deutschebahn.com/de/konze...eubauprojekte/
telemaxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #2348
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

A lot of projects on paper, but almost nothing under construction except a very slow upgrade of Basel-Karlsruhe...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #2349
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
Belgium: no information
SFS Köln – Aachen, completed up to Düren, the rest is planned (I have no info about the actual timing).

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Under a second stage, the section between Düren and Langerwehe is to be upgraded for speeds up to 200 km/h. The section from Eschweiler to Aachen, which currently has a speed limit of 110 km/h to 140 km/h, would be cleared for 160 km/h. The section from Aachen to Aachen-Süd (on the border with Belgium) would also be cleared for 160 km/h operations.[6] The Busch Tunnel at the border is the oldest railway tunnel in Germany that is still in use with some parts dating back to 1838.[citation needed] When the line was electrified, the limited space inside the tunnel meant that the line had to be rebuilt as a single track. Because of the tunnel's poor conditions, speeds had to be limited to 40 km/h (25 mph). A second parallel single-line tunnel was built in between 2004 and 2007. The old tunnel was subsequently rebuilt with a new lining and was returned to service on 23 October 2011 as a single track, with increased clearance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne...-speed_railway

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

telemaxx liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #2350
telemaxx

Likes (Received): 2662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
A lot of projects on paper, but almost nothing under construction except a very slow upgrade of Basel-Karlsruhe...
True, I hope it is improving in the future. Emmerich-Oberhausen seems on a good way though. Let's hope construction is carried out faster than on Karlsruhe-Basel.
telemaxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #2351
thun

Quote:
For your information, the A 94 is the most urgent transport project in the east of Bayern.
Both B15n (connecting both ends of A93) and an upgrate of the Freilassing-/Burghausen-Mühldorf-München railway would make more sense for (Eastern) Bavaria than the Wallfahrerautobahn which is mainly a prestige project of Franz-Josef Strauß and its political clan.

bavarian urbanist, KingNick liked this post
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #2352
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
Switzerland: Upgrade/new rail line (four-track expansion) Karsruhe-Basel, construction partly finished, partly u/c, partly planned, finished somewhen after 2030

Better connection Munich-Zurich planned, nothing specific yet, afaik
It gets worse. The minister of transport plans to take the electrification of this line off the list of priority projects (Bundesvehrswegeplan). As "priority" in this sense means sometime in the next 20 years or so, this means killing the route. The state of Baden-Württemberg is foaming about this, as it has invested into the planning of the route and has allocated funds to the project. In German:
http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...r-kippe-61505/
It seems that transport minister Dobrindt prefers populist initiatives against foreign cars on German Autobahns to doing serious work for the infrastructure.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #2353
thun

The Südbahn is NOT the Munich - Zurich corridor (via Memmingen - Lindau - Bregenz) but the old Württembergische Südbahn Ulm-Biberach-Ravensburg-Friedrichshafen.
That doesn't mean that you can expect an electrification of the Munich - Zurich line in the next 20 years, though. It's an on-off story for over 25 years now.
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #2354
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Both B15n (connecting both ends of A93) and an upgrate of the Freilassing-/Burghausen-Mühldorf-München railway would make more sense for (Eastern) Bavaria than the Wallfahrerautobahn which is mainly a prestige project of Franz-Josef Strauß and its political clan.
Strauss is dead for more than a quarter of a century and so are most of its cronies. Yet, traffic volumes on the B 12 have soared to levels, that make the motorway a necessity.
Old August 14th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #2355
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Thanx for the correction, Thun. Seems my lousy geography got the better of me and I confused these two lines running almost parallel towards the Bodensee.
Now that I had a look at a map: it seems the Munich-Lindau route via Memmingen is mostly only single-track, in addition to being diesel. No, Germany can definitely not be praised for its ambition to increase cross-border lines.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #2356
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 649

Quote:
Strauss is dead for more than a quarter of a century and so are most of its cronies. Yet, traffic volumes on the B 12 have soared to levels, that make the motorway a necessity.
Well, I'd prefer a doubling of the rail line between Plattling and Landshut, upgrading between Regensburg and Furth im Wald(Oh how I'd love to be able to chose between Cham and Plattling for boarding ICEs), electrification of Plattling-Klatovy,...
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #2357
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Now that I had a look at a map: it seems the Munich-Lindau route via Memmingen is mostly only single-track, in addition to being diesel. No, Germany can definitely not be praised for its ambition to increase cross-border lines.
The Munich - Zurich line is single track from Buchloe to Hergatz, diesel from Geltendorf.
That's due to historic reasons by the way: Most of the stretch between Memmingen and Hergatz runs through Baden-Württemberg instead of Bavaria, when it was buildt it was basically an international line in itself. So for historic reasons the main line Munich - Lindau has been the Allgäubahn via Kempten. The Munich Zurich TEEs used to run on that line, too. I think it was only in the 90ies that the international trains were shifted to the Memmingen corridor and there have been a few ECs via Kempten until a few years ago.

The main line to the Bodensee in the Kingdom of Württemberg was the Südbahn via Ravensburg - which is double track, too. The Memmingen corridor basically remained a regional railway with the odd ICE and EC on it.
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #2358
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Part of the HSL plans Köln-Frankfrut include a complete re-work of the yards and final approach near Köln Hbf, and reconfiguration of the access plan to Frankfurt HBf., which together I read would yield an additional time gain of 11 minutes with all the flyovers in place for through trains.

What are the status for these projects?
Where have you read this? For Frankfurt, triggered by the planned HSL to Mannheim, it is planned to upgrade Stadion - Hauptbahnhof to 6 tracks, the 2 new ones dedicated to long distance traffic. Construction works scheduled for 2019 - 2024. Doubt this alone will save too much time, as the slowest part, the last approach to Hauptbahnhof, is not part of the project. Guess the latter will be part of the widening Hauptbahnhof - Südbahnhof to 4 tracks, whenever they plan to start with this.
For Köln I can remember that there are indeed accelerations planned between Hbf and/or Deutz and the HSL, but nothing heard of the status.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #2359
clickgr

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
It gets worse. The minister of transport plans to take the electrification of this line off the list of priority projects (Bundesvehrswegeplan). As "priority" in this sense means sometime in the next 20 years or so, this means killing the route. The state of Baden-Württemberg is foaming about this, as it has invested into the planning of the route and has allocated funds to the project. In German:
http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...r-kippe-61505/
It seems that transport minister Dobrindt prefers populist initiatives against foreign cars on German Autobahns to doing serious work for the infrastructure.
Do we know when the electrification of the Südbahn route Ulm-Lindau is expected to be completed?
clickgr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #2360
HisarO
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

I like The Squaire Railway Station at Frankfurt Airport
HisarO no está en línea   Reply With Quote