daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #2561
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

During a storm in the first years after inauguration, a heavy steel girder just dropped out of the facade unto a staircase. Luckily due to the storm no-one was in the way.
Sadly DB saved on the architecture and never created the cavernous ceilings intended for the underground platforms. Thus the lower level platforms look a bit bland, like an underground garage.
As a frequent traveler from that station though I must say though that it is fairly efficient for use, in and out usually takes just a few minutes and is self-explanatory despite the numerous levels and long distances.
Where the Hauptbahnhof has failed is to become an urban center in itself. While shops and cafés at Zoo or even Ostbahnhof tend to be filled up on Sundays and even late at night, Hauptbahnhof falls into slumber even before the last night train has departed. In daytime, it is just part of the tourist circuit, nothing which really attracts locals.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #2562
Nintendo64

Likes (Received): 14

Thank you for the vids Svartmetall!
Nintendo64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #2563
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Where the Hauptbahnhof has failed is to become an urban center in itself. While shops and cafés at Zoo or even Ostbahnhof tend to be filled up on Sundays and even late at night, Hauptbahnhof falls into slumber even before the last night train has departed.
It's to early to pass judgement on that. It takes several decades for an urban centre to develop. There wasn't much around Bahnhof Zoo for decades after it was build either...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #2564
Hank Hodinky

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Hehe, the thumbnail was taken in my childhood town of Bischofshofen.
You a member, KingNicK? http://www.stuermische-boehmische.com/

I mean, twice in two days do I encounter this town. What are the odds?!
Hank Hodinky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #2565
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Hodinky View Post
You a member, KingNicK? http://www.stuermische-boehmische.com/

I mean, twice in two days do I encounter this town. What are the odds?!
I left the place a long time ago, but I happen to know three of these musicians.
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #2566
Hank Hodinky

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
I left the place a long time ago, but I happen to know three of these musicians.
Thanks. I always thought I hated polka but these guys are making it tough for me. I'll need to let it sink a bit...
Hank Hodinky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #2567
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8820

Few photos of the Hauptbahnhof too of my own from December 23rd last year.

S-bahn platforms (upper platforms).

It's a long way down.

Lower level.

Escalators and elevators.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #2568
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Something I like about Berlin Hbf. is the abundance of lifts. They are very helpful and sorely lacking in many major train stations in Europe.

3locations liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #2569
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Something I like about Berlin Hbf. is the abundance of lifts. They are very helpful and sorely lacking in many major train stations in Europe.
Indeed. The fact there is an awful lot of routes for passenger distribution around the station also helps to reduce overcrowding for the future too when the district becomes more built up. It is clearly happening as evidenced by the tram expansion and new construction around there (heck the hotel I stayed in was built in the last couple of years).
Old January 17th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #2570
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Yes, the municipality has a new part of town planned to the north of the station which is supposed to be twice the size of Potsdamer Platz post-1990 construction. Unfortunately they seem to go for a rather dull office site rather than a well-balanced mix of functions in this "Euro City" on the grounds of these former rail freight yards. Prices and pressure can already be felt in the adjacent rather poor neighborhood of Moabit, where developers are pushing tenants off land they want to turn into gold.
Transport-wise, the tram extension to Naturkundemuseum, as Svartmetal describes, has finally been inaugurated and trams running to Prenzlauer Berg and beyond will make Hauptbahnhof better connected. There is also construction underway for an S-Bahn extension to the north to link S-Bahns up to Wedding and Jungfernheide, but this will still take several years, although these links were envisaged as part of the original concept for Hauptbahnhof.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #2571
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Actually the lifts are a very weak point of that station, they were criticized a lot.

Yes, there are many of them and in the right place, but they have a big problem: they are awfully slow, and people don't understand that they are supposed to call them in a specific direction* so there's plenty of unnecessary stops. Since they are all placed in a unique position (meaning that you can't take another one to move between two platforms), the looong wait will make them useless if you really have to get a train.

In my opinion they should have built a double squared lift istead of a single rounded one, in the same space, with the two cabs moving symmetrically to be idiot-proof

Yes, a less clean design, but much more functional... and they still can apply this solution.

*the concepts of having two directional buttons to call a lift, and that a thermostat is an on/off switch based on a threshold, are two things the general public will NEVER understand.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #2572
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Haha, you don't have much faith in the general public do you? Two directional buttons are the norm in most of the world aren't they? I mean, every country I've visited or lived in have them...
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #2573
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Anyway, just for another couple of videos showcasing the extensive stations in Berlin.

Firstly, a DB Regio train at Hauptbahnhof as well as an S-bahn train interrupting my view.

Journey between Hauptbahnhof and Alexanderplatz on a rainy, dull day. I hope to go back and capture this same journey in the summer or at least on a day when it is less rainy!

Finally, Alexanderplatz station with some S-bahn departures. The stations really do look nice and well presented. I only wish the main station in Stockholm at platform and passageway level looked as good as these do. Berlin has some of the best stations and infrastructure outside of Japanese cities that I've come across, despite its age.

Old January 18th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #2574
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Haha, you don't have much faith in the general public do you? Two directional buttons are the norm in most of the world aren't they? I mean, every country I've visited or lived in have them...
Yes, and the same applies for the thermostat. But still most people can't grab the idea that blasting the temperature knob is not going to make the heater work faster

So in Berlin Hbf you regularly see people boarding an elevator even if it's going in the wrong direction, so they will pack it and the capacity (already poor due to the speed) will drop.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Svartmetall liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #2575
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I'll just leave this here...

On Saturday the 10th of January 2015, Alstom-built Coradia LINT unit 620.032 was working a service towards Trier as it made a stop at St. Thomas station. This unit is part of a larger pool of new DMU vehicles, which were ordered for the new "Vareo" concession.

Svartmetall, Maadeuurija liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:48 PM   #2576
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

A walkthrough of Potsdamer Platz station from the regionalbahn/long distance section to the S-bahn platforms.

Old January 25th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #2577
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Racing an ICE train on the Berlin S-bahn!

From Hauptbahnhof to Tiergarten - S-bahn racing a DB Regio train.

Old February 1st, 2015, 05:44 PM   #2578
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

S bahn Munich S2 new(old S A) Dachau - Altomünster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnBqjWabKuo
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:02 PM   #2579
pardontime
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

^ been and seen exceelent
pardontime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:03 AM   #2580
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Škoda will deliver 38 RegioPanter EMUs for the Nuremberg Norimberk S-Bahn that will be operated by National Express.

The value of the contract to Škoda is CZK 10 BLN ( € ~370 MLN). The EMUs have to be delivered in 2018.

http://nationalexpress.de/
http://ekonomika.idnes.cz/skoda-doda...ko-doprava_suj

Last edited by Surel; February 3rd, 2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: heh, Norimberk is a Czech exonym for Nuremberg. Sometimes one just forgets that :D.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote