daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #2781
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

The ordered double-deck trains are capable of a maximum speed of no more than 160 km/h. Therefore it wouldn't make sense to operate them on a 200 km/h line. Current IC services operate at up to 200 km/h, REs mostly at 160 km/h. On the Wikipedia it says that DB wants to replace all current ICs with double-deck trains long-term so I guess (or hope) those will be able to go faster than 160.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #2782
telemaxx

Likes (Received): 2662

On the Bombardier Twindexx page (Wikipedia) it is mentioned that the train sets are in principle capable of running 189 km/h. Not sure if even 200 km/h is possible.
telemaxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #2783
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Not many double deckers are capable of those speeds. Anyway, 189 would do fine, the operational difference with 200 is close to nothing.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #2784
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post
The ordered double-deck trains are capable of a maximum speed of no more than 160 km/h. Therefore it wouldn't make sense to operate them on a 200 km/h line. Current IC services operate at up to 200 km/h, REs mostly at 160 km/h. On the Wikipedia it says that DB wants to replace all current ICs with double-deck trains long-term so I guess (or hope) those will be able to go faster than 160.
IC services that go 200kph or faster will be upgraded to ICE per the long distance concept:
So the fact that the IC2 trains aren't high speed trains is not a problem. The whole core network will be branded "ICE" and will use ICE-1/2/3/4 sets. The IC network will fill in the gaps, and will mostly use IC2 sets.

http://www.deutschebahn.com/file/de/...hrskonzept.pdf

It's a pity they didn't order Twindex Swiss Express sets for the IC services though. But we will probably see those in Germany anyway.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #2785
telemaxx

It's true that some IC lines will become ICE lines, such as Hamburg-Bremen-Ruhr area and further south.

But it's also true that there are lines, where IC2 are planned and the slower top speed may become a problem. For example IC line 26 (Hamburg-Hannover-HSL-Kassel-Marburg-Frankfurt) is planned with IC2, but today rides on the HSL (vmax=250/280 km/h). So either you "downgrade" the IC to the old line between Hannover and Kassel or you order faster double-deck trains.

Then there is also the issue with the IC 77 (Amsterdam-Hannover-HSL-Berlin), where nobody so far knows which train sets will be used there in the future. In the long distance concept it says it will be an ICE. However, they didn't order an ICE4 with Dutch electrification equipment so far. So it will either be an ICE 3 (406?, problems with availability AFAIK) which can easily cope with the HSL between Hannover and Berlin or it will be an IC2 as well, then there is the speed issue again.

DanielFA liked this post
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #2786
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
As for the pics of the double-decker ICs, they remind me of current REs. I hope they will prove a bit more up to the standard of long-distance travel than that.
Bombardier had one on display at InnoTrans, comfort was similar to the newly refurbished Intercity coaches ("ICmod") as can be found in the Amsterdam - Berlin train.
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #2787
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Am I the only one who prefers the RegionalBahn train livery? I really like that red, whereas the white doesn't look as appealing to me (except on the ICE trains). White is a problematic colour if it isn't kept very clean. At least the red generally looks good even with a bit of dirt on it.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #2788
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

I agree on the white problem. German ICEs are generally not cleaned often enough and quickly develop a shimmer of brown. By contrast, Turkey's YHT, while also white, still shine proud.
You do not have that problem with red: even rather old Thalys still seem proper in their color scheme, as do DB's regional trains.

KingNick, DanielFA liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #2789
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
But it's also true that there are lines, where IC2 are planned and the slower top speed may become a problem. For example IC line 26 (Hamburg-Hannover-HSL-Kassel-Marburg-Frankfurt) is planned with IC2, but today rides on the HSL (vmax=250/280 km/h). So either you "downgrade" the IC to the old line between Hannover and Kassel or you order faster double-deck trains.
Or you just have it run slower on the HSL. I think one of the idea is for DB to offer the IC as a slower but cheaper alternative for people who don't want to pay for the ICE, but who DB would rather not lose to long distance buses.

Quote:
Then there is also the issue with the IC 77 (Amsterdam-Hannover-HSL-Berlin), where nobody so far knows which train sets will be used there in the future..
They have ordered more baureihe 407. I think they intend to use these.
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #2790
telemaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Or you just have it run slower on the HSL.
But that decreases capacity, so depending on the timetable you might get a problem.

Quote:
I think one of the idea is for DB to offer the IC as a slower but cheaper alternative for people who don't want to pay for the ICE, but who DB would rather not lose to long distance buses.
Yes, that is the plan. The IC2 is significantly cheaper to buy and to run than an ICE, so they can offer cheaper fares.

Quote:
They have ordered more baureihe 407. I think they intend to use these.
They ordered more than the 17? I haven't heard anything about that and I can't find any information on that.
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #2791
K_

Quote:
They ordered more than the 17? I haven't heard anything about that and I can't find any information on that.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the fourth slide here:
http://www.deutschebahn.com/file/de/...hrskonzept.pdf
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #2792
telemaxx

Ah, yes, you're misinterpreting it. The 17 407 have mostly already been delivered, so there won't be more than the 17 407.

DanielFA liked this post
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #2793
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

There will be a small part of the market that will always seek the cheapest possible way to travel. Young backpackers without deep pockets, for instance, that don't mind an 11h-long circuitous Berlin-Amsterdam bus route to save € 15 or € 20 on the ticket.
Old October 1st, 2015, 10:29 AM   #2794
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Whether or not the IC really are so much slower depends on the different lines in Germany. The Berlin-Hanover HSL for example only allows for 250 kmh on rather short stretches. The IC is capable of 200 kmh. Therefore a non-stop ICE from Spandau to Wolfsburg takes 55 minutes, whereas an IC takes 62. While I do not belong to the "speed doesn't matter" crowd, it is hard to consider 7 extra minutes a disaster.

suasion liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:22 PM   #2795
telemaxx

The point is that the new IC 2 can only run 160 km/h, so that is a much larger difference.

So in the future you either order IC 2 that can run faster up to 200 km/h or you don't use them on HSL.

DanielFA, lsg97 liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:08 AM   #2796
AlexNL

The plan was to get the IC2 stock first approved for 160 kph running, and later on increase to 189 kph if tests go well. "First get it running, then get it to run faster"
Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:43 AM   #2797
telemaxx

Well, for the first 27 train sets this is not possible as the locomotives (BR 146.2) are not capable of running faster than 160 km/h. For the next batch, a newer loco will be used (BR 147), which may theoretically ride 189 km/h.

DanielFA liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:56 PM   #2798
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

Well, here is a video report of my farewall journey with the CityNightLine train between Munich and Berlin. Deutsche Bahn will cancel that service later in December.
Between Munich Ostbahnhof and Berlin Lichtenberg the train was routed via Augsburg, Ansbach, Würzburg, Aschaffenburg, Hanau, Gießen, Kassel, Eichenberg, Kreiensen, Hildesheim, Magdeburg, Potsdam, Berlin-Westend, Flughafen Berlin Schönefeld

In case the video does not work, here is the direct link to Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFU7dFlywZk

ascariss, DanielFA, jonasry, Pieter Strohm liked this post

Last edited by doc7austin; October 2nd, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2799
AlexNL

Quote:
Well, for the first 27 train sets this is not possible as the locomotives (BR 146.2) are not capable of running faster than 160 km/h. For the next batch, a newer loco will be used (BR 147), which may theoretically ride 189 km/h.
They could always send those locos to freight services and order more 147's for IC2, right?
Old October 10th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #2800
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

DB explores shake-up of Arriva and Schenker

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...divisions.html
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote