daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #2801
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section

mqsdrana, DanielFA liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #2802
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
They could always send those locos to freight services and order more 147's for IC2, right?
That's possible. But the TRAXX is a modular platform. If switching the axle ratio isn't enough you could also switch bogies. There are 200 km/h TRAXXs in Italy after all.
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #2803
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

"Siemens' head of high-speed and regional trains, Juergen Wilder, will leave the industrial group at the end of the year to take over Deutsche Bahn's struggling rail freight arm,.."

dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #2804
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

15 routes in Germany Permanently Running Over Capacity

Due to federal legislation, Deutsche Bahn Netz must annually report what sections of its tracks are jammed up. Thanks to the Green parliament faction, this information is now public and zeit.de has come up with a map: http://www.zeit.de/mobilitaet/2015-1...e-ueberlastung
They are, not surprisingly, either main urban or commuter routes, such as Hamburg main station, Berlin Spandau station, Berlin's Stadtbahn, Cologne-Dortmund, or parts of the ICE grid, such as Uelzen-Hamburg, Hanover-Minden, Bamberg-Nuremberg, Nuremberg-Würzburg and beyond, Fulda-Hanau, Frankfurt-Mannheim, Offenburg-Basel (don't shoot me if I did not get geographic specifics all correct; do not know all the specific endpoints). The only regional line quoted is the line to Sylt.
Almost all of these lines have completed plans about how to improve their capacity, either by additional tracks, faster speeds and more efficient signaling, bypasses, new lines, etc. However German chronic underinvestment into rail lines becomes most obvious here.
I have a vague suspicion though that at least some of those lines are there for tactical reasons. For the Sylt line there was a bidding war recently, and claiming overcapacity traffic on Berlin Stadtbahn (where traffic seems moderate still when compared to Hamburg or the Northrhine Westphalian main axis) might seem like a good argument for relocating all long distance traffic to the North South underground line, which is unpopular, but the declared aim of DB.
Finally one must notice that East Germany is a safe haven: with the exception of the Berlin Stadtbahn, no East German line is among the list of jammed routes.

DanielFA, telemaxx liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #2805
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

New German passenger operator to launch in 2016
Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A new German long-distance open-access operator called DerSchnellzug (the fast train) has confirmed it will launch the first of three planned services on March 18 2016, three months later than originally planned, although three special trains will run at New Year

Line D1 will operate from Stuttgart via Heibronn, Würzburg, Kassel, Hannover and Bremen to Hamburg on a route not currently served by German Rail (DB) long-distance services. The service will only operate at weekends to start with, although the objective is to provide trains running three times a day

DanielFA liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #2806
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A little help for my father, who's building a G scale model of an HSB railcar.

The model is VT 187, units 016-019. The external shape is built but we can't find any picture of the internal space.

I just found a couple of internal pictures of unit 015, which is different (searching for "innenraum").

Any hint?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 12:46 AM   #2807
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
Nice. Heilbronn is my home town.

dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:07 PM   #2808
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

The plans of Der Schnellzug have seriously been bashed on the German forum. Contrary to its name, travel time will be abysmally slow, not just for the avoidance of HSR, but also on conventional lines. Routes where a DB IC takes 30 minutes Schnellzug will do in 50. As prices are also not extraordinarily cheap and services once a week are not really something to watch out for, this looks like its doomed from the start. Too bad, a serious private alternative as in Italy, Czech Rep, or Austria could do German rail services some good.

DanielFA, KingNick liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:31 PM   #2809
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Then the question is: is DB Netz not giving competitive timetables, or is DSZ* keeping them large to avoid troubles?

Anyway, if it's just a trial phase, not a big deal.

* I just made that up

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #2810
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Who or what company is behind Der Schnellzug?

DanielFA liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #2811
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

SPECTRE
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #2812
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Then the question is: is DB Netz not giving competitive timetables
Can anyone confirm that train paths in Germany are priced according to desirability? E.g. a quick path giving you the shortest travel and dwelling times is very expensive and a slow path, which may include extra dwelling time at stations to let faster trains pass is less expensive.

In that case the question is: Has Der Schnellzug opted for the slower and cheaper path because they weren't offered anything better or because they wanted to themselves.
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #2813
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Can anyone confirm that train paths in Germany are priced according to desirability?
DB Netz has a section for this on their website, all information can be found there as well as a train path price calculation tool.

Wilhem275, DanielFA liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #2814
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

The next generation of ICE trains

The new ICE4 is going to replace the old ICE3. This train may have some improvements on the inside, but the outside look does not differ much from the old ICE-versions. I would expect something more streamlined similar to the japanese shinkansen trains.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #2815
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
DB Netz has a section for this on their website, all information can be found there as well as a train path price calculation tool.
A short glance in the price list confirms my suspicion that al least there is a different pricing for more and less desirable paths. What it doesn't say is how the allocation is regulated. Can I demand a desirable more expensive path or do I have to make due with what DB Netz offers me?
Old October 28th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #2816
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The new ICE4 is going to replace the old ICE3. This train may have some improvements on the inside, but the outside look does not differ much from the old ICE-versions. I would expect something more streamlined similar to the japanese shinkansen trains.
It is going to replace the ICE1 and ICE2. Streamlining doesn't stop with the nose shape. The length of the trains creates considerable drag as well.
Note the JR 700 and the THSR 700T. The 700T is faster despite its shorter nose section. The lengthy Japanese nose sections are only required to compensate for the narrower tunnels, not because they create less aerodynamic drag.
Old October 29th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #2817
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

Quote:
A little help for my father, who's building a G scale model of an HSB railcar.

The model is VT 187, units 016-019. The external shape is built but we can't find any picture of the internal space.

I just found a couple of internal pictures of unit 015, which is different (searching for "innenraum").

Any hint?
By some coincidence I travelled on 187-15-3 the other day and I only have external pictures from 187-16-1 and 187-19-5,

Wilhem275, Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #2818
suasion

Quote:
It only looks a bit more modern on the inside, seating seems to be the same. Biggest dissappointment for me is the Family compartment is gone, just some 4 seaters now in an open wagon My kids always loved travelling ICE for this room, not sure I can coax them on long journeys with this.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #2819
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
By some coincidence I travelled on 187-15-3 the other day and I only have external pictures from 187-16-1 and 187-19-5,
Dammit! Thank you anyway.

I can't believe, among the millions of photos of German railways, there's not a single pic of the internal space of those four units...

suasion liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2015, 02:26 AM   #2820
suasion

If only you had posted a few days earlier
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]