daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #2841
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

The recent destruction of a railway bridge in Weener (North-West Germany) has been well documented on this video:
Youtube video by Schiffs Kanal
For all who didn't hear the news: last Thusday evening a freighter collided with one of Germany's longest railway bridges, cutting it in two. Most likely the accident was caused by a miscommunication. The bridge could not be lifted immediately to pass the ship due to the approaching train, but the captain of "Emsmoon" just kept going. The destruction has been so severe that the bridge cannot be repaired, the construction of a new one will take years.

Photo source: @WgSiFriesland/Twitter

Last edited by eu01; December 6th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #2842
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

The Dutch railways are talking about a projected 5 years until trains can again take this route. Too bad, since there were talks about heavily intensifying railroad traffic on this route.

DanielFA liked this post
8166UY está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #2843
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Couldn't they build a prefab bridge within a few months and install it?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 02:01 AM   #2844
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I believe it must be a fully operative movable bridge, because water traffic cannot be interrupted on that river/canal.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #2845
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

Quote:
I believe it must be a fully operative movable bridge, because water traffic cannot be interrupted on that river/canal.
LOL,that seems to what lead to the bridges demise.
On a serious note, a 5 year time scale to replace the damaged bridge makes tells me it is low on their list of prioritys.

Deadeye Reloaded, Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #2846
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Would a tunnel be a possible option? That way there'd be no conflict between trains and ships.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Surel liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #2847
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

A tunnel would probably take even longer to build..

DanielFA, suasion liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #2848
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
A tunnel would probably take even longer to build..
Both to plan and to build, true. Would it be worth it though? If both the waterway has to stay navigable and the thought is to increase traffic on the rail line then a tunnel would make sense, wouldn't it?
But not as a emergency measure.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #2849
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Or to build a high static bridge. Not as much as it used to. A deal too stupid of the ship driver not to stop on STOP!!!

suasion liked this post
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #2850
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Well it will be now for some years easier for the Meyer yard to deliver its large ships.
(This yard produces mainly very big cruise ships.)

Until now everytime a new ship from this yard had to pass this bridge they had to remove one segment next to the movable part to make enough room.

(Please don´t ask me who had the great idea to build these large ships far away from the sea. )

It looked like this:

Here is the opened bridge to allow smaller ships to pass. (RIP)
What Is Love?

Surel, DanielFA liked this post

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; December 10th, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #2851
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
On a serious note, a 5 year time scale to replace the damaged bridge makes tells me it is low on their list of prioritys.

Presumably passenger train levels are low on this route. Do any freight trains operate?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #2852
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

It was a two hourly interal on the passenger train when I travelled this way a good number of years ago. But I believe it was just a newly instated service then. I heard it had been increased to hourly.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #2853
AlexNL

There were no plans whatsoever to replace the bridge, so now that it is required everything has to be arranged. Financing, works to get rid of the old bridge and foundations (without interrupting ships too much), design and construction of the new bridge, commissioning...

And Germany is not known for fast infrastructure works. Maybe they should talk to the Chinese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Presumably passenger train levels are low on this route.
According to the province there's a daily ridership of 2000 to 3000 on the route between Groningen and Leer, but this also includes the ridership for for example Zuidbroek - Groningen. Cross-border ridership is not much more than a few hundred passengers.

Quote:
Do any freight trains operate?
There is some freight as far as I know.

DanielFA liked this post
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #2854
telemaxx

Likes (Received): 2662

Timetable change in Germany

On Sunday, the timetable change (is that proper English? ) introduced some new lines/services.

The biggest change is probably the opening of the new HSL between Leipzig/Halle and Erfurt.
Services: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnin...iennetz_01.pdf
Journey times: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnin...rzeiten_01.pdf

The ICE Sprinter network has been revised, there is no additional surcharge anymore and no obligatory reservation: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/fe...sprinter.shtml (German)

Furthermore, the new IC2 started official operation between Leipzig and Norddeich via Hannover.

We have new operators on regional services with new trains between Bielefeld/Rheine-Hannover-Braunschweig and Münster-Emden (former: DB Regio, new: Westfalenbahn, photo), Hannover-Wolfsburg and Wolfsburg-Braunschweig-Hildesheim (former: DB Regio, new: Metronom).

Feel free to add more changes. I have only mentioned changes to regional services in the area I live

Deadeye Reloaded, Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by telemaxx; December 14th, 2015 at 11:44 AM.
telemaxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #2855
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
The ICE Sprinter network has been revised, there is no additional surcharge anymore and no obligatory reservation: http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/fe...sprinter.shtml (German)
Thanks for answering a question you didn't know I had. I was just wondering what had happened to the additional surcharge.
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #2856
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
We have new operators on regional services with new trains between Bielefeld/Rheine-Hannover-Braunschweig and Münster-Emden (former: DB Regio, new: Westfalenbahn, photo), Hannover-Wolfsburg and Wolfsburg-Braunschweig-Hildesheim (former: DB Regio, new: Metronom).

Feel free to add more changes. I have only mentioned changes to regional services in the area I live
Another operator has entered the market: National Express. Since yesterday they operate the RE7 "Rhein-Münsterland-Express" (Krefeld - Rheine via Köln/Wuppertal/Hamm) and RB48 "Rhein-Wupper-Bahn" (Bonn - Wuppertal via Köln).

whatsuplucas, Wilhem275 liked this post
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #2857
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Perhaps worth mentioning: Berlin has a new stop for regional trains: Ostkreuz, formerly just an S-Bahn interchange station, now has two regional train lines of minor importance stop there.
Otherwise in the Berlin area: Some changes on the RE and RB lines to integrate the new connections to Erfurt, also some transfers of minor RB lines to DB's competitors.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #2858
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Ostkreuz upper level, right? Any news about the RE platform(s) on the lower level?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #2859
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Yes, upper level and only one track in the direction of Lichtenberg Station. In fact, the local trains to Werneuchen and to Eberswalde/Templin have simply been extended for a short 3-minute distance (so far 2 stations by S-Bahn). In the long run though, this stop can hopefully be developed into something more useful.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #2860
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Ostkreuz upper level, right? Any news about the RE platform(s) on the lower level?
There will be two platforms for R and RE on lower level. The northern one for Küstrin/Poland-trains, the southern one for RE1 to Frankfurt/Oder.

The northern one is still provisional used for S-Bahn trains inbound. The future inbound platform for S-Bahn is now used for the outbound trains. The outbound S-Bahn platform is not finished yet. At the moment even construction of it not really started. The southern future RE1 platform is provisonally used for S3-Erkner service which is still isolated from S-Bahn-network.

S9 flyover and grade-free crossing of S3/S5 east of Ostkreuz takes shape as viaducts and bridges are already built. I hope I could made those somewhat weird situation more understandable...

Ostkreuz Upper-level could be a good option for an airport-service to BER.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote