daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #2861
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I understand but only because I already knew the final flyovers setting
I have the impression it took a really long time to build the S5/S3 viaduct, from the moment they finished the main building and platforms.

I didn't remember about the northern RB platform. I hope that Lichtenberg will then become a through station for all its services, some continuing to Gesundbrunnen or BER via Ostkreuz (up) and the rest terminating at Ostkreuz (low); thus allowing everyone to reach at least the Ring, instead of terminating just out of it.

For RB trains terminating at Ostkreuz (low) will they build new terminal tracks west of the station? Or trains will terminate at the Warschauer Str. yard?
(Fantasy railway: it would be nice to build a RB platform at Warschauer Str., to connect them to U1 )

With Regio trains travelling west of Lichtenberg, crossing all ICE which will be shifted from the Stadtbahn to Hbf-Gesundbrunnen-Rummelsburg, the X crossing between Lichtenberg and the Ring will see some interesting traffic!
(I don't know the name of that Abzw.)

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; December 16th, 2015 at 09:28 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #2862
Bbbut

Likes (Received): 19

I am not sure I understand the last sentence.
For clarification, there is no connection between Lichtenberg and the Stadtbahn for non-S-Bahn trains.

The tracks on the north never meet the ones on the south. (They just lead to the 'Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk' and never further.)

There is a connection from Lichtenberg to the platform above, so they could theoretically run an Airport-Express coming from the east.

Also, your fantasy is actually the wrong way around, BVG is toying with the idea of connecting the U1 to Ostkreuz. (source)

mrsmartman, DanielFA liked this post
Bbbut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #2863
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Uh, nice about the U1, maybe we already talked about it in the Berlin public transport topic.

The Abzw. I meant seems to be called Abzweigung Gabelung (Wikipedia), in that point Regio traffic Lichtenberg - Ostkreuz (Ro) will cross all traffic between Gesundbrunnen and Rummelsburg/Erkner.

Talking about the Ring mainline tracks, how many parts are still missing to make it complete?

Between Westend and Tempelhof it appears mostly complete but not electrified, and with missing bits (no tracks on the Schöneberg bridge).
Tempelhof - Treptow is used by freight service but with only one track in some parts.
From Treptow yard there is a completely missing section of 420 m to Treptower Park.
And from Treptower Park to Ostkreuz it's being reactivated now, for the Görlitzer Bahn.

So, there's really no interest in completing the Südring?
I think about a route for freight traffic, especially now that the Moabit - Gabelung section will become more crowded.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #2864
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

http://www.allgemeine-zeitung.de/wir...o_16472136.htm

The word on the street is that the railway part of DB Schenker may be renamed DB Cargo, the name of the operation up until 2003.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #2865
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I didn't remember about the northern RB platform. I hope that Lichtenberg will then become a through station for all its services, some continuing to Gesundbrunnen or BER via Ostkreuz (up) and the rest terminating at Ostkreuz (low); thus allowing everyone to reach at least the Ring, instead of terminating just out of it.

For RB trains terminating at Ostkreuz (low) will they build new terminal tracks west of the station? Or trains will terminate at the Warschauer Str. yard?
(Fantasy railway: it would be nice to build a RB platform at Warschauer Str., to connect them to U1 )
Tried to see what the final setup is supposed to be. As of April 2016, of the three hourly trains extended to Ostkreuz upper platform, one (the one coming from Eberswalde) will be extended via the long dormant Görlitzer Bahn (Schöneweide) to Lübben and Senftenberg.
As of late 2017, the Kostrzyn trains will be extended to Ostkreuz (do not understand: since this line is coming from Ostkreuz, why can it not be extended to the upper platform and how does it cross from Lichtenberg to the lower level of Ostkreuz?)
At the same time, stops by the RE1 and RE2, two of the most used regional lines (Magdeburg-Frankfurt/O and Wismar-Cottbus respectively, are planned for the southern platform. Karlshorst Station will then be closed.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #2866
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbut View Post
I am not sure I understand the last sentence.
For clarification, there is no connection between Lichtenberg and the Stadtbahn for non-S-Bahn trains.
You´re right. The northern regional platform cannot be used for trains from Lichtenberg. They are coming from the VnK (Verbindung nach Kaulsdorf) track reaching Küstrin. Lichtenberg can only be reached via upper Level from Ostkreuz.

Quote:
The tracks on the north never meet the ones on the south. (They just lead to the 'Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk' and never further.).
Some people at DBAG dreamed of a single-track connection via tunnel between northern and southern tracks which is not realistic at all.

Quote:
Also, your fantasy is actually the wrong way around, BVG is toying with the idea of connecting the U1 to Ostkreuz. (source)

Toying is over. No one of Berlin authorities jumped on this train, so without support from no one it could be considered as dead. But you´re right again, as U-Bahn tracks lying beneath the northern DB-tracks would interfer with any idea of leading the Ostbahn further to the West.

Edit: For those interested in Pictures, this is a german blog about Ostkreuz construction:
http://www.ostkreuzblog.de/baufortsc...eptember-2015/

Kind regards

Last edited by tunnel owl; December 17th, 2015 at 04:01 PM.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #2867
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Talking about the Ring mainline tracks, how many parts are still missing to make it complete?
Many. Between Westend and Tempelhof several bridges have to be rebuild, which takes place in a very slowly way. There is paradox of planning: To make the Südring attractive as freight-line it must be electrified. Electrification would mean an extraordinary change of the existing layout and therefore the line must be regarded with actual laws of environmental impact, making noise barriers necessary. This is somewhat weird, because electrification itself means an improvement in environmental purposes. But DBAG fears to do so, so they are building something mainly without electrification. Don´t know if that makes sence anyway.
Old December 18th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #2868
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Some people at DBAG dreamed of a single-track connection via tunnel between northern and southern tracks which is not realistic at all.
There is nothing unrealistic about a simple underpass. Once the Ostbahn is electrified more voices will be heard demanding this link. And quite honestly, it should be built to make the network round and sound as well as to connect the towns along the Ostbahn directly to central Berlin.
Old December 18th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #2869
ELZIPO32

Likes (Received): 864

Just a question

Does anybody know what kind of works are being done in Düsseldorf HBF? They are currently working on the south of the station, and I tried to look for some information but unfortunately, I didn't find anything. Are they related with the new RRX?

Thanks.
ELZIPO32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #2870
Earthlink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
If only you had posted a few days
Awesome. But what exactly is this?
Earthlink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #2871
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

HSB railcars in the Harz National park
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #2872
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
There is nothing unrealistic about a simple underpass. Once the Ostbahn is electrified more voices will be heard demanding this link.
East of Strausberg there are no big towns in Germany and the next is Gorzow in Poland. It is simply wrong to state, that this railway will be electrified. And if not electrified it will not reach Stadtbahn.

Diesel-service could be operated together with PKP maybe in future, if regularities and technical operation match together, about 40 Mill. Euro have been spent on building a second track partially. That´s enough for this corridor for now and the foreseeable future.
Old December 21st, 2015, 12:46 AM   #2873
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
East of Strausberg there are no big towns in Germany and the next is Gorzow in Poland. It is simply wrong to state, that this railway will be electrified. And if not electrified it will not reach Stadtbahn.
The electrification of the Ostbahn has been enrolled as candidate project for the forthcoming Federal Transport Links Strategy (Bundesverkehrswegeplan) by the land of Brandenburg. The project has yet to take some hurdles, but it is not as off as you seem to suggest. The administrative process is already under way. As a strategic freight link to northern Poland the project could be even supported by EU funds.
Old December 21st, 2015, 08:41 AM   #2874
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
The electrification of the Ostbahn has been enrolled as candidate project for the forthcoming Federal Transport Links Strategy (Bundesverkehrswegeplan) by the land of Brandenburg. The project has yet to take some hurdles, but it is not as off as you seem to suggest. The administrative process is already under way. As a strategic freight link to northern Poland the project could be even supported by EU funds.
We are all waiting what will be left from that wish-list ater X-Mas I don´t pay any attention on things to be put on the list from the counties as long as they are not finally quoted as necessary from federal government.

Anyway cross-border rail to Stettin will have priority and Cottbus upgrade to 160 km/h, too. I think the strategic freight link would be the main cause to have this line electrified one day, because the Frankfurt/Oder line must be relieved from freight as it is the main passenger-corridor to Warsaw/Poznan and has significant commuter traffic. But even the Frankfurt-corridor still awaits it´s complete upgrade...
Old December 21st, 2015, 03:07 PM   #2875
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

End of the line for CityNightLine, Deutsche Bahn is pulling the plug on the highly unprofitable service as of December 15, 2016. The sleeper services will be replaced with regular ICE trains and IC buses.
Old December 21st, 2015, 03:45 PM   #2876
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

Boo DB!
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:18 PM   #2877
ikarus280

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Yes, upper level and only one track in the direction of Lichtenberg Station. In fact, the local trains to Werneuchen and to Eberswalde/Templin have simply been extended for a short 3-minute distance (so far 2 stations by S-Bahn). In the long run though, this stop can hopefully be developed into something more useful.
Actually only the Werneuchen (RB25) and Templin (RB12) trains terminate at Ostkreuz. The RB24 is a through service between Eberswalde (north east of Berlin) and Senftenberg (south Brandenburg) - a 2.5-hour ride. As both directions meet at Ostkreuz, both sides of the platform are used.

As far as I know, when Ostkreuz is completed, RB12 and RB25 will terminate "downstairs" and the RB24 will be the only service "upstairs". That's why they initially didn't even want to build a roof. That there is one now is thanks to the money the senate saved during the S-Bahn crisis.

Last edited by ikarus280; December 22nd, 2015 at 01:53 AM. Reason: corrected line number for Werneuchen trains
ikarus280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:55 PM   #2878
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

delete
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 08:52 AM   #2879
Wbnemo1

Likes (Received): 5

I'm looking for information on the TR07 TransRapid Maglev, any help?
Wbnemo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:02 PM   #2880
Wbnemo1

Likes (Received): 5

not really finding anything on this forum....I tried search too, not much luck there either....

Cheers,
Will
Wbnemo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote