daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:24 AM   #2881
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbnemo1 View Post
I'm looking for information on the TR07 TransRapid Maglev, any help?
What kind of information are you looking for?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #2882
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Try http://www.maglevboard.net/en/forum

dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #2883
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

What's the current state of the Dresdner Bahn project in Berlin? Slow, very slow, corpse?

I really wonder what will be opened first, that or BER... (no trolling, I'm serious)

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #2884
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Accident in Puttgarden

The ICE train Hamburg-Copenhagen broke through the fence to the ferry in the harbour.

Thursday afternoon, 01.07.2016, something failed in an ICE in Puttgarden it was probably the brakes. After exchange of staff from German to Danish train crew the driver drove towards the ferry. Since the gate to the ferry was not open, he wanted to slow or stop the train again. According to him, he pushed the brakes but they did not react, so the train moved against the massive gate and broke it. Both the Fence and the front of the train were badly damaged thereby. Officials of the federal police were quickly on the spot, they took Accident Pictures and noticed the loss. The 98 passengers, none of whom was injured when initiated emergency braking, had to leave the ICE and go on shore to leave on foot to the ferry in order to continue their trip to Denmark.

To determine the exact cause of the accident, the memory of the ICE must be read out, the investigation by the Federal Police is ongoing. The extent of damage remains to be determined.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:10 AM   #2885
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
What's the current state of the Dresdner Bahn project in Berlin? Slow, very slow, corpse?

I really wonder what will be opened first, that or BER... (no trolling, I'm serious)
Actually with Mayor Wowereit as the main appeaser of the NIMBY-protests gone, things are starting to happen. The Federal Railway Authority (EBA) has granted permission for the line to be constructed without a tunnel through the angry men's suburb of Lichtenrade in August 2015. Apparently the senate are still discussing with the NIMBY protesters, but without the tunnel, the protesters will definitely go ahead and take the EBA's decision or actually what the senate makes of it to court. Maybe they should just go ahead with it. 18 years of waiting for the Lichtenrade suburbanites has not helped those who want ecologically responsible transport and the law suit looks unavoidable. Latest article:
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/po.../12550136.html
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #2886
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Sounds like good news, although -both as traveller and resident- I completely despise noise barriers raising over the height of bogies.
As a resident, I'd consider win-win having some sort of direct compensation (like, new soundproof windows) instead of those ugly walls.

Overall I don't understand why the Lichtenrade case went so much out of control. Pretty much the whole network in Berlin was rebuilt, in some parts from scratch and in denser environments, and here we're talking about a very short stretch with existing right-of-way and no planned freight traffic.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:53 AM   #2887
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Overall I don't understand why the Lichtenrade case went so much out of control. Pretty much the whole network in Berlin was rebuilt, in some parts from scratch and in denser environments, and here we're talking about a very short stretch with existing right-of-way and no planned freight traffic.

That is not exactly true. Actually, just the most important parts of the network have been restored. Nordbahn and Stammbahn are missing its mainline tracks just as the Dresdner Bahn does. And mainline services on the Kremmener Bahn and the Ostbahn still terminate at stations outside the centre.
That doesn't mean that the rebuilt part of the network wouldn't work well. Quite the contrary. Yet, there is still something left to be desired.
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #2888
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Well, ok, but we must admit that all those lines are much less relevant than the Dresdner. I mean, half of the whole Nord-Sud-Tunnel project is meant to make use of it, at the moment the city's most important trunk line is left incomplete because of this delay.
The single track, at-grade loop of Großbeeren is very limiting in terms of capacity and travel times, especially considering how the whole BER connection has been functionally designed as directly connected to the Dresdner Bahn.

For example, the detour between Oranienburg and Nordkreuz doesn't have the same negative impact.

About the Stammbahn, I just discovered they left the stub of a flying junction in the tunnel under Gleisdreieck, good move. But I wouldn't consider that connection as important as the Dresdner Bahn.

Old January 12th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #2889
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

Berlin needs to start working in projects to replace some Metrotram lines with grade-separated U-Bahn or something new, like monorails.
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:57 AM   #2890
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Visit the New Jersey Section

DanielFA liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #2891
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I just discovered, from OSM and Wikipedia, that the line between Lichtenfels and Bamberg will be completely closed from 11/01/2016 to 04/09/2016 for overhaul works connected to the Nürnberg – Erfurt high speed project.

This raises two questions:
- how is local traffic managed? Just buses?
- where are the München - Berlin ICE routed? Via Fulda - Erfurt for everyone?

Old January 14th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #2892
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Berlin needs to start working in projects to replace some Metrotram lines with grade-separated U-Bahn or something new, like monorails.
M8 into U-Bahn would be particularly beautiful.
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #2893
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Quote:
Well, ok, but we must admit that all those lines are much less relevant than the Dresdner. I mean, half of the whole Nord-Sud-Tunnel project is meant to make use of it, at the moment the city's most important trunk line is left incomplete because of this delay.
The single track, at-grade loop of Großbeeren is very limiting in terms of capacity and travel times, especially considering how the whole BER connection has been functionally designed as directly connected to the Dresdner Bahn.

For example, the detour between Oranienburg and Nordkreuz doesn't have the same negative impact.

About the Stammbahn, I just discovered they left the stub of a flying junction in the tunnel under Gleisdreieck, good move. But I wouldn't consider that connection as important as the Dresdner Bahn.
Would agree on most of that. Connections via Oranienburg do not reach any major cities, especially since the route via Eberswalde is the faster way to reach Stralsund. Nonetheless it would be beautiful to have the direct northern route through Berlin developed someday.
The Stammbahn, besides providing rail access to a few suburbs such as Klein-Machnow, is intended less to dramatically shorten travel times to Potsdam, but rather to increase capacity between the two cities and provide new direct connections by regional trains to other parts of Berlin. All in all, this is a regional rail issue rather than a matter for the long-distance grid though, as all westward fast traffic is concentrated on the Spandau-Wolfsburg HSR.
In short, these are two desirable, but not essential part of the "mushroom rail concept" that was part of developing the new Hbf.
By contrast, it is rather unacceptable that the southeastern leg of the mushroom has failed to develop and that passengers to Dresden and Prague must take a twenty minute detour to ensure the tranquility of Lichtenrade. If one looks at the rail corridors through Wedding/Prenzlauer Berg, Moabit, Schöneberg, Lichterfelde, all realized without much resistance, one wonders what makes Lichtenrade residents so special. As someone living off of the northern exit of the rail tunnel in Moabit, I can say that people here are much more annoyed by car traffic and Tegel airport noise than the trains, especially if they have modern cars and engines and if there is no freight to be expected, as is the case with Lichtenrade.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #2894
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
They are one step behind you. They are presently considering upgrading metrobus lines into metrotrams, especially for the popular M41 through Neukölln, Kreuzberg to Hbf.
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #2895
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
I just discovered, from OSM and Wikipedia, that the line between Lichtenfels and Bamberg will be completely closed from 11/01/2016 to 04/09/2016 for overhaul works connected to the Nürnberg – Erfurt high speed project.

A while ago, DB posted this map on Facebook:

You can find a document about these engineering works on Deutsche Bahn's website.

Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #2896
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Quote:

Yes, an ICE departing Munich will head northwest to Fulda, then head east via the conventional route to Erfurt, then use the new HSR section to Erfurt and continue via Leipzig. DB claims that this is no longer than what trains took previously via Jena; however all the time advantage provided by the Leipzig-Erfurt HSR goes to serving this detour.
I came back from eastern Bavaria yesterday and discovered that rather than doing these huge detours at up to 300 kmh, I would reach Berlin at the same time by using small DMUs on non-modernized routes via Hof and Gera.

Last edited by Baron Hirsch; January 14th, 2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #2897
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23R3B9QS-k

dimlys1994, DanielFA liked this post
Matz32Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #2898
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:
The ICE train Hamburg-Copenhagen broke through the fence to the ferry in the harbour.

Thursday afternoon, 01.07.2016, something failed in an ICE in Puttgarden it was probably the brakes. After exchange of staff from German to Danish train crew the driver drove towards the ferry. Since the gate to the ferry was not open, he wanted to slow or stop the train again. According to him, he pushed the brakes but they did not react, so the train moved against the massive gate and broke it. Both the Fence and the front of the train were badly damaged thereby. Officials of the federal police were quickly on the spot, they took Accident Pictures and noticed the loss. The 98 passengers, none of whom was injured when initiated emergency braking, had to leave the ICE and go on shore to leave on foot to the ferry in order to continue their trip to Denmark.
Man good thing it didn't fall into the harbor and that everyone is okay..

Although the train looks far from "badly damaged", why do articles exaggerate so much?

Last edited by Jay; January 16th, 2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 07:45 AM   #2899
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1454

http://die-bahnfotocommunity.startbi...l/seite/2.html

8166UY liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 09:16 AM   #2900
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Although the train looks farm from "badly damaged", why do articles exaggerate so much?
A little thing I like to call "journalism".
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote