daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #2941
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
But how is it possible that the interlocking system allowed the two signalmen to open itineraries in opposite directions on a single track ? There's something I don't get here...
Simple: it doesn't allow that, you need to override the system, using a Zs1 aspect to do that.
The explanation of AlexNL doesn't mention what this Zs1 aspect is: The Zs1 signal aspect, called Ersatzsignal in German, is a signal aspect that was originally meant to allow drivers to proceed in case a mechanical signal jammed. Nowadays it is regularly used by the signaller to allow drivers to do something otherwise not allowed by the interlocking. Downside is that there is no safety checking by the interlocking/signalling at all when you use this aspect. In this case it has allowed the signaller to have 2 train enter the same track from opposite ends.

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #2942
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

Quote:
Nowadays it is regularly used by the signaller to allow drivers to do something otherwise not allowed by the interlocking. Downside is that there is no safety checking by the interlocking/signalling at all when you use this aspect. In this case it has allowed the signaller to have 2 train enter the same track from opposite ends.
I would have expected more stringent controls to come with such an override, warning the drivers, strict speed limits and two way radio's spring to mind. There is no point in having interlocks if they can be overridden willy nilly and allow operations to proceed as if nothing has changed.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #2943
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Simple: it doesn't allow that, you need to override the system, using a Zs1 aspect to do that.
The explanation of AlexNL doesn't mention what this Zs1 aspect is: The Zs1 signal aspect, called Ersatzsignal in German, is a signal aspect that was originally meant to allow drivers to proceed in case a mechanical signal jammed. Nowadays it is regularly used by the signaller to allow drivers to do something otherwise not allowed by the interlocking. Downside is that there is no safety checking by the interlocking/signalling at all when you use this aspect. In this case it has allowed the signaller to have 2 train enter the same track from opposite ends.
Ok, crystal clear now. Here this Zs1 aspect doesn't exist, signal override orders are delivered on paper forms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
I would have expected more stringent controls to come with such an override, warning the drivers, strict speed limits and two way radio's spring to mind. There is no point in having interlocks if they can be overridden willy nilly and allow operations to proceed as if nothing has changed.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #2944
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post

The act was likely against regulations. And I think there are a lot of instances of unregulated overrides throughout Germany's rail networks.

Massive lawsuits pending.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #2945
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Two ICE trains pass each other at 200km/h

Visit the New Jersey Section

DanielFA, Roy_Batty liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:51 AM   #2946
nanth_abc

Likes (Received): 2

Where can I get a map of all railway route in Germany?
nanth_abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 08:53 PM   #2947
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

Here is a network map, Ive seen large passanger route maps next to the door in ICs & ICEs so I imagine its pretty easy to find on google

suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:09 PM   #2948
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanth_abc View Post
Google it
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:21 AM   #2949
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
You can find one on DB Netze's website, this map includes all technical details.

By default the map only shows lines that are managed by DB Netze. If you want to see everything (including track that is not or no longer maintained by DB), set the "choice of lines" dropdown to "all lines".
Old February 22nd, 2016, 02:00 PM   #2950
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
As for scalable maps there is the OpenRailwayMap as well as the transport layer of the OSM.

flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 05:11 PM   #2951
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

That's a cool site you linked to(OpenRailwayMap).
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:29 AM   #2952
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

DB Schenker Rail rebrands as DB Cargo

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/f...-db-cargo.html
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:09 PM   #2953
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 812

This is a video and photo report about a recent trip between Amsterdam and Berlin.
Up until December 2014 Deutsche Bahn offered a direct sleeping car connection between both cities. However, that connection was cut back to Cologne.
This time, I had to change in Düsseldorf. First I travelled with CityNightLine train CNL 419 in a seating car. In Düsseldorf I switched to the EuroNight train EN 447 Cologne - Prague/Warsaw and could finallly enter my private single sleeping car cabin.

Sadely it is expected that Deutsche Bahn will cancel all night trains alltogether by December 2016.
So, I hurried to catch that (soon to be historic) train.

Amsterdam Centraal:

CityNightLine train CNL 419 Amsterdam - Munich/Zuerich:

Seating car - reservation compulsory:

EuroNight EN 447 Jan Kiepura Cologne - Warsaw:

Sleeping Car Cologne - Prague, operated by Czech Railways:

Private sleeping car cabin between Duesseldorf and Berlin (CNL Cologne - Prague):

Seating car, formerly owned by OEBB:

Through cars Cologne - Prague are attached to the EuroCity train EC 171 in Berlin:

Youtube video, featuring all details of the sleeping car trip between Amsterdam and Berlin:

Here is the direct link to the video in case the video does not load here:
Link to Youtube video

Enjoy!
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #2954
MarcVD

Koln-Warsaw is operated by PKP not by DB as far as I know so it has chances to survive after the end of the year...

Old March 4th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #2955
doc7austin

Quote:
Koln-Warsaw is operated by PKP not by DB as far as I know so it has chances to survive after the end of the year...
The EuroNight train Cologne-Warsaw is definitely operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB Fernverkehr) between Cologne and Berlin.
Between Berlin and Warsaw the through cars are attached to the EuroCity Berlin-Warsaw train six times a week.
That EuroCity is jointly operated by DB Fernverkehr and PKP InterCity.
When DB Fernverkehr is ceasing all classical night trains by December 2016, the Cologne-Warsaw train has virtually no future.
Of course, Cesky Drahy and PKP InterCity may decide to finance the Cologne-Prague/Warsaw train beyond December 2016. DB Fernverkehr will be happy to
provide the locomotive and logistics in Germany for good money. However, I doubt that the ticket prices will cover these costs, thus, PKP InterCity and Cesky Drahy will most likely loose money in that. No Chance!
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #2956
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

So I guess this also means the end of Basel - Frankfurt - Berlin - Warsaw trains, with cars continuing to Moscow?
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #2957
doc7austin

Quote:
So I guess this also means the end of Basel - Frankfurt - Berlin - Warsaw trains, with cars continuing to Moscow?
What are you talking about?
There is no Basel - Frankfurt - Berlin - Warsaw train.
There are no certainly no cars continuing to Moscow.
We are not in 2011 anymore.
Old March 7th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #2958
doc7austin

Quote:

No, the train will be cancelled.

http://zpravy.e15.cz/byznys/doprava-...-ubyva-1277096
Old March 9th, 2016, 06:20 AM   #2959
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

It is strange. I used a night train in Germany (although it wasn't intended by me, I wanted to go by a daytime ICE) in January - it was a train that was going from Hamburg to Basel - and it was pretty full. On some section there was no more free seats in my compartment. So it isn't so that these trains are empty, this is not the reason why they are going to cancel them...

And while I can understand that the trains on inland routes within Germany are fast and it takes a few hours to get from one side of the country to the other by ICE trains, which, in addition, provide more comfort, so that it's practically no point in using the overnight connections, it is not so with longer journeys through the Europe.

They don't write anything about Kiepura in this article. But they write about Kopernikus (Prague-Cologne), which is the same train between Berlin Ostbf and Cologne, and between Wrocław and Berlin this is in fact a group of carriages in the Warsaw-Berlin train...
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #2960
MarcVD

I think the reason behind this cancellation is not the lack of passengers, but the total
production costs : the fleet of night carriages is getting old and needs either a renewal or
a massive overhaul, which cannot be funded with the revenue DB gets from those trains.

Also, those trains seats or bunks can only be sold once per day, and the cars sit idle
for at least half the time, so it is difficult to recover their costs.

Kpc21, Suburbanist, naruciakk liked this post