daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #2961
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6795

Well, during the day they could run some low-cost train connections using these carriages (apart from the sleeper ones). Currently it is so that the prices for IC and ICE trains are, basically, equal (if I can say so with the dynamic ticket sale system). And often high in comparison with bus tickets. Even though IC provides less comfort than ICE. They could compete better with the buses this way. But probably their maintenance, needed renovations, costs so much that it doesn't make sense, it would be expensive anyway.

The trains in Germany are often much faster than buses and when you really want, you usually can buy a ticket for ICE for a good price, so even though the number of railway passengers is decreasing, many of them will stay.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #2962
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
What are you talking about?
There is no Basel - Frankfurt - Berlin - Warsaw train.
There are no certainly no cars continuing to Moscow.
We are not in 2011 anymore.
There is!
I.e. departing Frankfurt-Südbahnhof today night at 0156 on track 8:

01:56 EN 453 Moskva Belorusskaja
Frankfurt(Main)Süd 01:56 - Erfurt Hbf 04:38 - Berlin Hbf (tief) 07:09 - Berlin-Lichtenberg 07:29 Poznan Gl. 10:41 - Warszawa Zachodnia 13:30 - Warszawa Centralna 13:36 - Warszawa Wschodnia 13:46 - Terespol 16:17 - Moskva Belorusskaja 10:10

But ok, it starts in Paris Est (until a few years ago this train was arriving from Basel or Zürich).
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #2963
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6795

It doesn't go from Basel. You have to change in Karlsruhe, Mannheim (I am not sure if it stops there) or Frankfurt from a "normal" train. This is a luxury train of Russian Railways. A very strange train connection, if you take into account, that in most of the relations you can travel by plane for a lower price and it will be much faster. But it seems that Russians really love travelling by railway and even rich customers prefer a train to a plane.

Since it's a train operated, basically, by Russian railways, I don't think it will disappear.

It's very difficult to find this train in the search engine of the German Railways. Although French Railways and Russian Railways sell tickets for it online. I don't remember, how it is with Belarussian Railways, but for sure you could check the price on their webpage.

According to the Russian Railways website, a ticket from Karlsruhe to Warsaw costs 9841 rubles (in a kupyeyny car), which is over 120 euro.

About the stop in Mannheim, the website of Russian Railways (you need to use the Russian language version and type in the city names in Cyrylic alphabet) shows only departure time at Mannheim, it doesn't show the arrival, and the same situation is also in case of the cargo German station Oderbrücke (in Frankfurt an der Oder), where it's definitely impossible to board the train, as well as in case of the Polish station Kutno, where the train doesn't even stop.

By the way, the name of the Oderbrücke station written in Cyrylic looks funny - it's ОДЕРБРЮЕЦКЕ, so "Odyerbryuyetskye".

Last edited by Kpc21; March 14th, 2016 at 05:08 AM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:04 PM   #2964
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

DB increases number of long-distance passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
The trains in Germany are often much faster than buses and when you really want, you usually can buy a ticket for ICE for a good price, so even though the number of railway passengers is decreasing, many of them will stay.
The official numbers are out for 2015. Guess what. While we believed that poor little DB is losing so many passengers to the cheap bus competition and that the prolonged strikes at the beginning of 2015 must have permanently put off passengers, there is actually an increase in long-distance passengers by a noteworthy 2.9%. Turnover is up by 1.9%. Regional traffic passengers decreased, probably because of several tendered lines being taken over by the competition. Overall DB has made a loss, but these seem not to be caused by operations, but rather by the restructuring of the company and investments, so the record for 2015 does not look gloomy at all. In German: http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...-umsatz-74371/

jonasry, Kpc21 liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:38 PM   #2965
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

2015 was a bad year for the freight side of DB. The French-style strikes no doubt led to some shippers either abandoning rail altogether, in the single wagon sector, for example, or switching to other rail cargo providers.

I was very surprised by the trade union action. As a British man I'd grown up with the knowledge and experience of trade union disruption in Britain and always admired the cooperative, strike-free nature of the German social market economy. Last year, with the rail strikes, Germany reminded me of old post-war Britain.

DanielFA liked this post
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:15 PM   #2966
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

DB Cargo plans to axe 250 transhipment points and axe 2,100 jobs.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #2967
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

The weather was very wet in February in Berlin, bit like at home!

112 123 Gesundbrunnen 22 February 2016

112 101 Sudkreuz 22 February 2016

Track plant at Tempelhof 22 February 2016

232 909 Tempelhof 22 February 2016
Design classic!

442 621 Berlin Schonefeld 22 February 2016

Notice of special train at Berlin Schonefeld 22 February 2016

185 050 Berlin Schonefeld 22 February 2016

442 122 Berlin Schonefeld 22 February 2016

182 013 Berlin Zoo 22 February 2016
IRE service to Hamburg

120 137 Berlin Zoo 22 February 2016

442 825 Berlin Zoo 22 February 2016

445.101 Berlin Zoo 22 February 2016

More here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...February-2016/
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #2968
Oplot-M
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5592

Berlin Hauptbahnhof

http://trainphoto.org.ua/view/17203/
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #2969
mikoCZ

Likes (Received): 72

27. Sächsisch-Böhmischer Freundschaftszug VACLAV

noikia2010, DanielFA liked this post
mikoCZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #2970
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Spoorwegovergang Oberhausen (D) // Railroad crossing // Bahnübergang

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #2971
noikia2010
nostalgic incurabil

Likes (Received): 389

Hello. Does any one haves pictures of the interior of sleeping cars manufactures in the former G.D.R. (D.D.R.) in the '70-'80's. They where used in Romania untill the early '000's, but I've ride one about 30 years ago so I don't remember how they looked inside and couldn't find any picture on google.
Nowdays in Romania among the sleeping cars used are some old ones imported second-hand from Germany (D.B., not D.R.). The interior red ones manufactured in the '60's, but modernized a little bit (new boogies, new body) is making you feel like in the old days... i like it, you may think you're in an old movie.
I'm talking about the ones like in the first images: http://www.forumtrenuri.com/t226-vagoane-de-dormit

I think the rolling stock manufacturing from Eastern-Europe was influenced by Germany.

Dacă aveţi cărţi de telefon vechi, nu le aruncaţi, daţi-mi-le! (mă interesează în special pentru Bucureşti, Prahova şi Constanţa!)

Caut LaserDiscuri (Laser Discuri) (L.D.-uri)

Trăiască Bucureşti - Ilfov - Prahova, cei 3 Mari ai Sudului (Inima Sudului!!!)

Ştefan. Tel. 0721.240.479 sau 0749.28.38.15 h 9.30-23.00 Fără beep-uri (S.M.S.-uri merg)
noikia2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:44 AM   #2972
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Source: The New York Times

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016...crash.html

Dispatcher Playing With Cellphone Is Faulted in German Train Crash
APRIL 13, 2016

BERLIN — A railway dispatcher apparently caused the deadly collision of two trains in the German state of Bavaria on Feb. 9 because he was playing a game on his cellphone until just before the accident, according to state prosecutors.

A week later, the state prosecutor Wolfgang Giese said that the dispatcher, identified only as a 39-year-old man, had violated work rules and had most likely caused the crash.

On Tuesday, Mr. Giese issued a warrant for the dispatcher’s arrest. He is expected to be charged with involuntary manslaughter, as well as violating work rules.

dimlys1994, Svartmetall, DanielFA liked this post
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #2973
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 435

MichiH posted links to nice new maps for the new BVWP 2030 in the roads section, I hope he doesn't mind me reposting them here.

This is the one concerning rail:
https://mobil.hessen.de/sites/mobil....-Schiene_0.png

This map is pretty sweet. Besides the projects drawn on the map, there is a number. If you enter the number in Google, you can often find a dossier incl more specific details (some alignments, cost-use analyses, impact on traffic and nature, price,...) Sadly it's only for people who can read german, but the maps might be interesting anyway.

DanielFA liked this post
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #2974
suasion

Likes (Received): 1853

This simplistic conclusion fails to ask the question of how is that the failings of one individual can cause such a calamity. I can only hope the actual investigation is more thorough.

stingstingsting, Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #2975
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

There are several investigations currently going on, in parallel with the judiciary one. They will better identify the safety issues and address operators.

But I doubt they'll be able to point out any big breakthrough from this case, because the system was not operating in normal conditions, and in "manual mode" there's not much that can be done more than relying on the full carefulness of the dispatcher.

Probably the issue here lies in a better selection and formation of the staff.
Reminds me somehow of Germanwings 9525's case, although the reasons and actions were very different.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #2976
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
how is that the failings of one individual can cause such a calamity.
If you were going to ask that question at every railway company around the
world, you would probably come back with the same answer. There must be
a way to override security devices in case they don't work properly. If those
overriding mechanism are not operated properly, then accidents will happen.
The question is then why on the DB network it is allowed to work this way
so easily. It must be possible, but should remain an exception, not the normal
way of working.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #2977
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It isn't the normal way of working on the DB network. The Ersatzignal (Zs1) is there to override the signal in case of malfunctioning, it should never be used as a standard way of working. There are procedures surrounding Zs1 to ensure that it isn't just used whenever the signaller feels like it.

As has been stated before, all equipment was working normally. The signaller authorised the train to pass the red signal, but why is still unknown. They now say he was distracted by his phone, so maybe the signaller was under the impression that he had already followed all applicable procedures when he pushed the Zs1 button?

I can imagine it went something like this (warning, heavy speculation):

6:35 path towards Kolbermoor programmed, signaller focuses on his phone again
*signaller playing game when eastbound train arrives*
6:41 train arrives, unloads, closes doors, ready to depart, signal remains red
6:42 looks outside and sees the train still standing there
6:42 "Ah scheiße, the signal is broken and this train is already late..."
6:42 pushes Zs1 button
6:42 picks up phone and continues playing
6:44 HOLY **** I HAVEN'T SEEN THE WESTBOUND TRAIN YET
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #2978
suasion

Likes (Received): 1853

Quote:
If you were going to ask that question at every railway company around the
world, you would probably come back with the same answer. There must be
a way to override security devices in case they don't work properly. If those
overriding mechanism are not operated properly, then accidents will happen.
The question is then why on the DB network it is allowed to work this way
so easily. It must be possible, but should remain an exception, not the normal
way of working.
But there is no point in having an interlock if it can so easily be overridden. I am surprised there are not an extra layer of protocols that have to be implemented when you exit the normal mode. For any system to operate in a condition where a single failure (in this case the dispatcher) will result in disaster is mindboggling. It contravenes all logic; no engineer should build a system without a failsafe, who does the risk assesment in these cases? Transport safety should be proactive and not depend on tombstone regulations.
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:52 AM   #2979
Bbbut

Likes (Received): 19

Of course there are extra protocols in place.
The big question is how they could have all been ignored. So many people should normally be involved in granting and confirming this exception. We know nothing concrete at this point sadly.
Bbbut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #2980
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

If the signaller has all the buttons he needs on his control pad, I can see him using them without obtaining authorisation. Maybe he doesn't even need to do obtain authorisation, as that would only further delay train traffic.