daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #3061
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Why? What's wrong with the fixed ladder?

Swede, DanielFA, suasion liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #3062
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

It's so old-style. A UFO abducting drivers and releasing them at cab level would be much cooler.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

earthJoker, DanielFA liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #3063
Harbornite

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think builders of modern locos should come up with a better solution for access to the cabin instead of these old fixed stairs. Something like an electrically-extendable set of inclined stairs, for instance.
Easier said than done, plus it will cost more.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Swede, DanielFA liked this post
Harbornite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:47 AM   #3064
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Also, I'm quite sure a driver would prefer to stay pretty close to the machine, if he has to get off in the thight space between two tracks...

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old September 16th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #3065
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbornite View Post
Easier said than done, plus it will cost more.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Exactly. Chnging it to some new powered lift or something would also introduce so many ways for things to fail. The existing solution works no matter if the loco has power or not and has no moving parts. Might not be hi-tech or look awesomely smooth and futuristic, but it works. It works always.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Harbornite, DanielFA liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #3066
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Exactly. Chnging it to some new powered lift or something would also introduce so many ways for things to fail. The existing solution works no matter if the loco has power or not and has no moving parts. Might not be hi-tech or look awesomely smooth and futuristic, but it works. It works always.
This is like saying slam-doors or manually actuated train doors are better because they cannot become defective, or that manual windows are better than mechanical air flow systems...
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #3067
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
This is like saying slam-doors or manually actuated train doors are better because they cannot become defective, or that manual windows are better than mechanical air flow systems...
No. Modern doors have clear advantages over slam-doors. Should an innovative way of entering the locos come along that has an over-all cost/benefit status than the traditional steps (but requires their removal) I wouldn't be surprised if they start replacing the old steps. At the moment I have a hard time imagining something like that tho - especially ones that require removing the old steps.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Harbornite, DanielFA, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #3068
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

How many engineers/driver/operators get hurt through loco access stairs? I'm really asking, I have no idea.

Just because a practice is 'efficient' in an industrial strict sense doesn't mean it shouldn't be curbed for safety reasons. I have a clear example.

In North America, well into the 1980s, it was common practice for certain crew to "catch" slow-moving long freight trains on the fly, running across the approaching loco and jumping in. That is very dangerous and caused numerous cases of serious injuries, and amputations etc. The practice of hot-jumping on a caboose (when these still existed) in North America was even approved by regulations if done at low speeds like 5mph! It was considered unnecessary to completely stop mile-long trains for a lone man (it was almost always a man, rarely a woman but that is another issue) to enter the caboose.

Now, both practices would get employees in serious trouble and, if a serious injury accident happened, into criminal court possibly.

My overall point is: just because something in transportation industry has "always been done" in a certain way, doesn't mean we should keep doing it. Maybe the design of locos need to change to accommodate better egress methods, who knows...
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #3069
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

Your signature really applies to your ideas doesn't it.
besides costs, have you ever thought about the increased risks your idea would bring. Slam doors brought huge risks to the travelling public. As it is the ladder always works, what happens when the lift fails? Workers will be exposed lineside trying to access the cabin when one of these systems fail, and fail one will. The less moving parts a system has, the better

Swede, DanielFA, Spongabob liked this post
suasion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #3070
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
How many engineers/driver/operators get hurt through loco access stairs? I'm really asking, I have no idea.
Very little, because they know what they are doing and handrails are provided. Operators need to be able to leave their loco anywhere, not just in stations.

This can be because they need it for their work (coupling/uncoupling), to change ends, to get to/from the locomotive, but also in the case of an emergency. The last thing an engineer wants is to be unable to leave his cab when his train has come to a halt inside a tunnel where there is no space to deploy those fancy automatic steps.

You are right about the risks of hot-jumping on cabooses and boarding trains that haven't come to a halt, and luckily these days are (mostly) behind us. But replacing steps? Why would you want to ?

They're not a problem.

Harbornite, Swede, DanielFA liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #3071
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I must say I love these situations.

After all... stating the obvious is necessary to keep it obvious

AlexNL, TM_Germany, DanielFA liked this post
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #3072
earthbound

Likes (Received): 149

NIM Express driving car

source: http://ekonomika.idnes.cz/skoda-doko...ko-doprava_suj
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #3073
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

Muhldorf - Tusling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZ2lv9lKiE

"Fooorest Railway"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWJe8ca-bk

DanielFA liked this post
Matz32Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #3074
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Hannover Railway station maximum capacity is reached

Politicians insist on expanding the rail junction in Hannover.
Trains and railway tracks in the Hanover area are operating at almost full capacity. The expansion of the railway junction was the issue of consultations with EU transport coordinator Catherine Trautmann in Hannover this tuesday.

The regional leader Hauke Jagau (SPD) and the transport secretary of Lower Saxony Daniela Behrens spoke with representatives of the federal government about an expansion of the congested railway hub. They hope for financial assistance from the European Union for further planning.

In order to allow more trains between Hannover, Braunschweig, Minden, Paderborn and other destinations additional tracks and signals have to be installed and the main train station in Hannover has to be extended by an additional platform. Each day the main railway station in Hannover has 250,000 travelers and visitors and is served by 750 trains.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 09:42 AM   #3075
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Just because a practice is 'efficient' in an industrial strict sense doesn't mean it shouldn't be curbed for safety reasons.
But in which way would your idea improve safety?

Remember that you do not want the following things to happen:
- You do not want a "dead" locomotive to become inaccessible.
- You do not want some moveable part to be stuck out of profile.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 11:38 AM   #3076
Short

Likes (Received): 170

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIdQimBi9o

Having been involved with road transport through my old man for all of my life, I can say the development of deploy-able stairs has improved safety for drivers. They are simple, do not take up too much space and can still be used for access when in a tight situation. The argument about "that's how we have always done that" is the same for all situations before safety reforms are introduced. I can see a form of these stairs being a benefit rather than a hindrance on newly developed locomotives.

Swede liked this post
Short no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:16 PM   #3077
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Speaking about inefficient industry practices... this should be unacceptable on a new train:

Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:56 PM   #3078
Short

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Speaking about inefficient industry practices... this should be unacceptable on a new train:

Yes, it is unacceptable to have that much distortion in a photo. Too much excessive fish-eye lens work there.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Short no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:51 PM   #3079
Harbornite

One of the new Skoda Class 102s for DB Regio Bayern is at Innotrans. Looks rather nice!

http://railcolornews.com/2016/09/19/innotrans-2016/

DanielFA, TedStriker, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:25 AM   #3080
Harbornite

DB unveils ICE4 inter-city train ‘for the gigabit society’

This isn't really new news any more, it's a week old. Oh well.

Quote:
Deutsche Bahn's latest generation of inter-city trainset was officially unveiled to the public by CEO Rüdiger Grube and Minister for Transportation & Digital Infrastructure Alexander Dobrindt at Berlin Hauptbahnhof on September 14.

DB has placed firm orders with Siemens for 130 ICE4 (formerly known as ICx) trainsets under a May 2011 framework agreement for up to 300 sets. Bombardier Transportation has a 30% share of the project, including work on the exterior design, car bodies, bogies and some of the final assembly.

The ICE4 is designed to comply with the regulations for operating at 250 km/h. It is 100 tonnes lighter than a comparable ICE 1, with the use of laser welding reducing the number of connecting elements required in the bodyshell. Aerodynamic optimisation includes a new nose design, improved roofline transitions and bogie skirts on the end cars, and a continuous raised roof on the intermediate cars. As a result the energy consumption per seat is 22% lower than an ICE 1.

The traction equipment is concentrated in particular cars to provide flexibility in train formation, with each car operating autonomously and all controls located in the end cars. There are five car types, with 24 trainset configurations which can be matched to maximum speed requirements, route profiles and changing passenger demands.

The 12-car ICE4 is 346 m long, with 205 first class and 625 second class seats. There are four wheelchair places with two lifts for boarding and alighting. The seats are designed for long journeys, and can be adjusted without the shell moving and infringing the space of the passenger behind.

A parent-and-child compartment and a family area aim to turn the journey into a ‘fun experience’. There will be free wif-fi throughout the train, seat numbers and reservation signs are integrated into the headrests, and the real-time passenger information system provides details of connecting services. The LED lighting adjusts to the time of day, and the improved air-conditioning is designed to cope with temperatures up to 45ºC. The ICE4 is the first generation of ICE trainsets to carry bicycles, with eight cycle spaces.

‘The ICE4 ushers in a new era: it is the backbone of our future long-distance transport system’, said Grube. ‘We are planning to expand our range of long-distance rail services by 25% by 2030, linking up more and more cities and regions. This new flagship will make a lasting contribution towards the future viability of the DB Group.’

Several months of testing under real world operating conditions are planned to begin later this year before the expected entry into regular service in December 2017. During this introductory phase, two ICE4 trainsets will be used ‘occasionally’ on the Hamburg – Hannover – Nürnberg – München route.

New approval procedures are to be used for the ICE4, with all but two of the necessary certificates to be issued by third parties and then checked by the federal railway authority EBA. Siemens said this means the ‘countless documents and certification procedures’ can be spread amongst various test service providers at an early stage.

The ICE4 will gradually replace the IC and Eurocity fleets dating from 1971-91. At a later stage they will replace ICE1 and ICE2 sets, by which time the ICE4 will account for about 70% of DB’s long-distance passenger revenue.

At the unveiling, Dobrindt said the first generation of ICE trains launched 25 years ago had ‘heralded the dawn of a new era’, with export orders following, and he was confident that the latest generation of ICE would become ‘another showcase for quality made in Germany and an example of Deutsche Bahn's innovative leadership’. He said the ICE4 ‘is a key step towards the digital railway, a modern mode of transport for the gigabit society.’
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/h...t-society.html

dimlys1994 liked this post