daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #3201
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
That's not true.
The link between HSLs Hannover - Berlin and Hannover - Hamburg - Fulda - Wurzburg which has only one track between Braunschweig and Wolfsburg will get the second track. And there's hope that the speed will be increased to 200kph there as well (curve radii of the line already support this speed). The rest will stay as it is indeed.
The new line Frankfurt - Fulda is currently in planning stage. Objective is a travel time of 45 mins between Frankfurt and Fulda. The section Hanau - Gelnhausen will be upgraded to 4 tracks and vmax of 230kph with construction works to start at around 2021. Gelnhausen - Fulda will be a completely new line for 250kph. They are currently investigating several routes.
Also travel times between Fulda and Erfurt shall be decreased (objective is 1 hour). For section Fulda - Wildeck there will be a new line, discussion with citizens as a basis for the planning procedure will start this year. Wildeck - Eisenach is currently being upgraded to 160kph, and Eisenach - Erfurt to 200kph.
Add to that the on-going station reconstruction in Halle which will allow speeds of 100 km/h instead of 40 right now. Furthermore is the section Halle-Bitterfeld going to receive a speed upgrade to 200 km/h once the new train control system is installed.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2017, 02:20 PM   #3202
scrooge.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Add to that the on-going station reconstruction in Halle which will allow speeds of 100 km/h instead of 40 right now.
Didn't know that there are slow sections in Germany. When I traveled there the train run fast. I thought that the lowest speeds were around 120 km/h. Those were the former DR Bahn sections.
scrooge. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 10:23 PM   #3203
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooge. View Post
Didn't know that there are slow sections in Germany. When I traveled there the train run fast. I thought that the lowest speeds were around 120 km/h. Those were the former DR Bahn sections.
The trackage was designed in laid out in a different age. Late 19th century, I suppose. The points with design speeds of 40 km/h were state of the art back than.

scrooge. liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 01:11 PM   #3204
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
I guess I really did not know what was going on, sorry. Nonetheless these processes about Hanau-Fulda are early planning stage, so I had not paid attention to them. Hanau-Fulda today runs at 53 minutes. Only 8 minutes time advantage does seem a bit too little for a brand-new route. I realize there is a great need for extra capacity on this eastern approach to Germany's rail hub, but I was expecting something more substantial from that project.
40-45mins for a bit more than 100km is not that bad, especially, since the section Frankfurt - Hanau (about 25km) will remain as it is. To achieve 30mins it would need a 300kph HSL all the way from Frankfurt to Fulda. IT will be a project for the future to also increase vmax between Hanau and Frankfurt to 200-230kph either via Maintal or via Offenbach or maybe even both.

Quote:
As for connecting Thuringia to Western Germany, the major question is if there will ever be a direct link from Bebra to the North South HS line. It is only 15 km distance, and at Hersfeld even only 7, but so far trains have to trudge southwards at a rather moderate pace before joining the HSL at Fulda. This not only decreases travel speeds to Frankfurt, but also foils the prospects of good connections between Thuringia and Westphalia. To my knowledge this quick link between Thuringia and the North South Line is not completely off the table, but not looking likely to happen anytime soon, or am I mistaken?
This is part of the corridor Fulda-Erfurt that shall be accelerated by nearly 20mins to under 1 hour. I also outlined that. Discussion with the citizens about which valley to use for the new tracks to start this year. Of course this will only be a connection to the southern part of the Hannover - Würzburg HSL (from and to Frankfurt and Wurzburg, but not to Kassel) as this is where the demand is.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:42 AM   #3205
Beelost

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooge. View Post
I always buy tickets to Eilzüge and RB - because of the price. But they are slow. Regional Bahn stops everywhere
Beelost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #3206
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6794

There is no such category as "Eilzug" for years in DB. Now the long-distance lower quality and lower speed trains of DB are called IC.

Or you maybe meant InterRegio, or InterRegioExpress. So regional trains, but ones which do not stop on each station.

But, paradoxically, the Regio or InterRegio may be more expensive to travel on a longer distance than IC or ICE. Especially if you can buy your ticket on advance. SparPreis will often be much cheaper than a ticket for Regio.

Unless you travel in a group, then it's cheap in Regio with a Länder-Ticket / Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket.

DanielFA liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #3207
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Buxtehude by Attila Németh, on Flickr

DanielFA liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #3208
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
There is no such category as "Eilzug" for years in DB. Now the long-distance lower quality and lower speed trains of DB are called IC.

Or you maybe meant InterRegio, or InterRegioExpress. So regional trains, but ones which do not stop on each station.

But, paradoxically, the Regio or InterRegio may be more expensive to travel on a longer distance than IC or ICE. Especially if you can buy your ticket on advance. SparPreis will often be much cheaper than a ticket for Regio.

Unless you travel in a group, then it's cheap in Regio with a Länder-Ticket / Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket.
Well, actually the name changes are more or less cosmetic. "Eilzug" corresponds to RegionalExpress, which despite their names actually rather long distances in some cases (basic rule: stops almost everywhere). D-Zug have become InterCity, supposedly stopping only at major towns, but since the abolishment of Interregio, the category in between RegionalExpress and InterCity, ICs tend to often be something like an InterRegio, i.e. stopping at places that do not remotely deserve the name city.
About pricing you are right. As the price schemes for regional trains and long distance trains are almost completely separated (the former a public service organized by the individual states or their suborganisations, the latter a private enterprise by DB and its competitors), price schemes can be rather contradicting. For example, while I had a BahnCard50, it was cheaper for me to take an ICE for local rides between say Düsseldorf and Dortmund than an S-Bahn or RE.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #3209
Kpc21

There are still InterRegioExpresses, or there were, at least, a year ago.

Nowadays, the main distinguishing factor is the company that runs the train:
- DB Fernverkehr (white trains): ICE and IC - those are commercial trains,
- DB Regio and local companies (red trains in case of DB Regio, the colors of the company or the colors of the region): IRE, RE, Regio (companies other than DB Regio may have their own category names, and it's the only case when you can meet an "Eilzug" now) - those are the trains which are subsidized by local authorities.

Officially, the DB distinguishes those trains by "product classes". The regional, subsidized trains are the "Produktklasse C". The ICE (and similar trains of foreign railways, like TGV) are "Produktklasse ICE", the IC, EC, EuroNight and D-trains (if there still exist any) are "Produktklasse IC" (they used to be called the class A and the class B, hence the still remaining class C).

From the difference in the financing of those trains come different ticketing systems.

For the product classes ICE and IC, the tickets are sold by means of a dynamic system. That means, the more passengers want to take the specific train, the more expensive the ticket becomes. If you want to travel for a low price, buy your ticket much in advance. Because of this dependence, the tickets are sold for the specific train (or specific sequence of trains between which you must change) and you cannot take any other train on the same route. Such a ticket may also include a transfer to (from) the station where an IC/ICE-class train stops from (to) any station railway station by a C-class train. For which you can use any train of this class, even if a specific one is specified on your ticket. It is also possible to buy a ticket for the "flexible price", which is quite expensive, but you can choose any connection on the given route on the chosen day.

So there is practically no difference between IC and ICE in terms of the ticketing (if I am not wrong, even the "flexible prices" are the same). The tickets for IC are often cheaper than for ICE, but it's just because people prefer to travel by ICE and the tickets for ICE sell out faster.

For the product class C (except for the case when it's used as a transfer for an IC/ICE-class train), the tickets aren't usually sold by the DB (neither by the carrier when it's other than the DB), but by the local public transport union (Verkehrsverbund) and they are also valid in local buses and trams. It is, however, possible to by a DB ticket for those trains - it is used when you travel between the areas of several "Verkehrsverbunds" (at least two, although there are sometimes special agreements between them, so that you can still use a ticket of one of the unions in some cases). The prices of those tickets are fixed and they do not depend on the time of buying them.

In addition, there are some special offers valid only in the C-class trains, like the Länder-Tickets or the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket.

While it's basically allowed to board an IC/ICE train without having a ticket (you can buy a ticket from the steward, although it's quite expensive, because you must pay the "flexible price" + a few euro service fee), it's not allowed in the DB C-class trains. On each station where the DB trains stop, there is a ticket machine and you can buy a ticket there. It is sometimes different in the trains of other carriers.
Old June 17th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #3210
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

2 hours Railtrafic on Munich-Rosenheim Railway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7nsjbQZh2I

DanielFA liked this post
Matz32Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #3211
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Press ride of Erfurt - Bamberg HSR

Deutsche Bahn carried out a ride for journalists on the new HSR from Erfurt to Bamberg. The 100 km line will begin commercial operations in December. With it, sprinters from Berlin to Munich will run thrice daily as ICE3 (max. 300 kmh), cutting traveling time to 3 hours and 55 minutes. The hourly rides will be operated with ICE-T (max. 230 kmh), have more intermediate stops and will make the ride in 4 hours 20 min. Schedules of other trains will be adapted, especially Erfurt will become a transport hub this way.
http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/berli...nchen-27807546

Autostädter liked this post
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #3212
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Flensburg railway station - Review

I have been 3 times to Flensburg since 2012.

Bilingual sign for Flensburg

Flensburg is a city close to the danish border. It's a hub for trains between Denmark and northern Germany
with straight connections to Århus and Copenhagen.

Incoming IC-train from Århus, Denmark.

Information about the departing train to Århus. If you want to go to Copenhagen from here,
you take this train to Fredericia where you change train to Copenhagen. There is a border control at Padborg.

There are DB Regional trains to Kiel and Hamburg.

The Flensburg train station building is not that nice, it's gloomy and run down,
but there is a park with a fountain outside.

The Kiel central station is much better, it's spacious, modern and pleasant with many shops.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #3213
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Court gives green light for Dresdner Bahn in Berlin

Good news. The German Supreme Administrative Court has turned down the case of residents of southern Berlin residents who had resisted against possible noise if the Dresdner Bahn was reactivated. The Dresdner Bahn is the direct route through Berlin both towards the future airport and Dresden. It has not seen long distance trains, only S-Bahn, since the building of the wall. It was supposed to be reactivated in 2004, but due to protests in the then mayor's constituency, the project had lain dormant for 13 years. Trains from Hauptbahnhof to Dresden have to use the overused route for trains to Leipzig, then zigzag along the outer ring until they reach the right route. DB might begin construction even by October. This way, both the capacity for airport shuttles and the overall speed to Dresden can be markably improved. See http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/berli...rteil-27881182

Wilhem275, suasion, TM_Germany, Swede liked this post
Old June 29th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #3214
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Finally!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #3215
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Scharbeutz-Bad Schwartau DB Regio

Scharbeutz station serves trains to Puttgarden and Lubeck.

Here you can buy your tickets. There are 2 ways of buying tickets: express (showing the most common choices) and detailed menu. It's not that easy to navigate the detailed menu, it takes time and nothing you do in a hurry if you never have used this machine before.

The train to Lubeck arrives. You can bring a bicycle if there is space. One morning 2 persons with bicycles couldnt enter the coach because it was too crowded, so they had to wait for the next train.

This is Bad Schwartau, where you change train to Kiel which lies on another branch.

Bad Schwartau station building.

Inside the station building.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #3216
Kpc21

There is no trains between Rastatt and Baden-Baden, which also means no trains between Karlsruhe and Strasbourg/Freiburg/Basel.

The reason:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

They are building a tunnel for the high speed trains underneath the current tracks and something has collapsed...

The closure is for a week.

Bustitution for the long-distance trains between Karlsruhe and Baden-Baden. The German long-distance and regional trains end from both directions in Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. The tram-trains from the north (from Karlsruhe) end in Rastatt, the tram-trains from the south (from Achern) are bustituted between Baden-Baden and Achern. There is no replacement for the local trains between Rastatt and Baden-Baden, those passengers must use the bustitution for the passengers of the long-distance trains.

The TGV trains from Paris through Strasbourg to Germany have a detour through Saarbrücken und Mannheim, they don't stop in Strasbourg and Karlsruhe.

Wilhem275, MHG1023, Autostädter, DanielFA liked this post
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #3217
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

"Bustitution" is genius

Must have happened here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.84412/8.21509

Cool, just one of the most crowded spots in all Germany

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #3218
MHG1023

Likes (Received): 8

Uiiii ...
First they said they will fix it until sunday (today) night 8pm.
Yesterday (saturday) they corrected their estimate "due to a much worse problem than anticipated" to the coming weekend ...
Well, I guess we can expect that even this timeline may likely be moved further back. I´m hard pressed to believe there´s an "easy and fast" fix for that. One week only is very ambitious IMHO.

I live in Schwetzingen and it´s pretty quiet now on the "freight tracks".
An eerie quietness during the night ...
But I´m sure some people living near the line are not too unhappy at the moment instead of hearing freight trains rumbling through the town at night in 3-5 mins intervals.

That makes me wonder how (and where) they will reroute the freight trains since other corridors won´t be able to accomodate much more traffic already.
DB Netz (?) must be under extreme pressure to fix the problem ...

Maybe a few freight trains might be rerouted via Wörth/Lauterbourg/Strasbourg/Kehl to Appenweier.
Don´t know whether SNCF is willing (or even able) to help out in this case.

Last edited by MHG1023; August 13th, 2017 at 08:23 AM. Reason: additional comment
MHG1023 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #3219
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG1023 View Post
Maybe a few freight trains might be rerouted via Wörth/Lauterbourg/Strasbourg/Kehl to Appenweier.
Don´t know whether SNCF is willing (or even able) to help out in this case.
But then the locomotives and the carriages must have permits to be used in France... And if it's about a train which goes e.g. from Germany to Switzerland, which doesn't enter France at all, it might be not the case.

Supposedly, bustitution is one of the commonly used English terms for that, maybe not the most official one, but still: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/b...stitution.html

The German term is Schienenersatzverkehr, commonly abbreviated to SEV. Which is weird, because this "Ersatzverkehr" (replacement transport) is definitely not "schienen" (on rails)
Old August 13th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #3220
flusispieler

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Which is weird, because this "Ersatzverkehr" (replacement transport) is definitely not "schienen" (on rails)
Look at the compound the other way around
You read "Schienen" and "Ersatzverkehr", but "Schienenersatz" and "Verkehr" makes much more sense.
So by that it's traffic to replace rails, not replacement traffic on rails.

Kpc21, d.henney liked this post
flusispieler no está en línea   Reply With Quote