daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #621
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

I love that photo:

Tag line: …für den kleinen Steineschmeißer/Schlagstockschwinger/“Volksvertreter“ von morgen

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #622
aab7772003

Likes (Received): 7

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,6110421,00.html
aab7772003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #623
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Coming back to Stuttgart:
I think that similar thinking, that is "we have to do it, basta, never mind the costs or economical sense" is unfortunately common in Germany. Has anybody given a thought what will happen once DB is completely privatized, and it has to compete with other companies?
Why do you think that DB will be completely privatized?

If that would happen, the result is obvious. A very shart decline in the quality and amount of train services in Germany, just like it happened in England.

Higher usage of cars, higher green gas emission, higher costs in car accidents, car fuel, car pollution, etc.

Quote:
That may increase the cost of running trains on less popular lines by far, because I am sure that DB "sponsors" those lines from the income of more popular lines. It is illegal, but easy to conceal.
Why do you think it is illegal? Which law prohibits the government from subdizing passenger trains?

Quote:
What if BW suddenly has to pay much, much more for trains on some God-forgotten line to Scheiseloch am Bach? Will they continue paying for the connection used by 8 people, or will somebody say "wait a minute, there is a bus service that only takes 5 minutes longer than the train".
The service quality drops, people stop using it. Buses are loosing passengers in Brazil for example, simply because it is a slow, uncomfortable transport.

Quote:
Has anybody taken such things into consideration, or is economy a taboo, as it often is?
Since when is infra-structure building supposed to pay 100% of it's cost?

If that was the case, I bet that the world would have 10% of the airports that it has now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Just to put things into perspective: I am an immigrant in Germany, and I like the place. But having lived in a few other countries I am simply worried when I see certain things. The taboo of touching certain topics, especially when they are about money and efficiency, is surprising. Seems to me things are done in Germany without looking at the cost effectiveness way too often.
You are forgetting the cost of not builting the infra-structure. Having a worse infra-structure adds costs to the country. And it also affects the governament, because a worse infra-structure generates less GDP. Less GDP means less taxes.

Last edited by sekelsenmat; October 18th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #624
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post

If that would happen, the result is obvious. A very shart decline in the quality and amount of train services in Germany, just like it happened in England.

Higher usage of cars, higher green gas emission, higher costs in car accidents, car fuel, car pollution, etc.
EU directives.

DB is already a private entity whose main shareholder is the German state. It's half-way done.

Bear in mind, though, that infrastructure and operation entities are already separated and completely segregated in all EU countries.

There is no immediate link in privatization and higher or lower quality services. What it brings, to the spotlight, are system financial inefficiencies. It brings the price tag of service subsidization up, instead of having it disguised in cross-fare schemes or so. Some countries, like Italy, opt to sharply cut services that don't break even, others, like Netherlands, opt to specifically contract money-losing services, but then the "losses" are paid from the budget of the government, not from the operating company.

Privatization of transportation operations is the best way to go IMO. In regard of infrastructure, there is room for debate

Quote:
Why do you think it is illegal? Which law prohibits the government from subdizing passenger trains?
The question is not whether a money-losing service can be kept running, but how the losses will be covered.

Quote:
Since when is infra-structure building supposed to pay 100% of it's cost?

If that was the case, I bet that the world would have 10% of the airports that it has now.
This is not the debate surrounding the controversy of Stuttgart 21. The debate is about cost-effectiveness of different policy choices within the domains of rail passenger transport (and cargo transport to a lesser extent as Stuttgart 21 would clear space for more freight trains).

Quote:
You are forgetting the cost of not builting the infra-structure. Having a worse infra-structure adds costs to the country. And it also affects the governament, because a worse infra-structure generates less GDP. Less GDP means less taxes.
Again, this statement cannot be hold so straightforward for a country like Germany, which already has a lot of infrastructure in place, be it for road, air, water and rail transport. This phenomenon is more evident in countries like Brazil where there is an immense backlog of much-needed, critical infrastructure projects, which is not the case of Germany.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #625
sekelsenmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
EU directives.
There is no EU directive saying that train companies should be privatized. Saying that the infrastructure and operation should be separated is something different. You can still have governamental operators, while allowing private competitors to join in as well just increases the service quality.

Quote:
There is no immediate link in privatization and higher or lower quality services.
So, you think that the service quality would increase if DB would be privatized?

Quote:
What it brings, to the spotlight, are system financial inefficiencies. It brings the price tag of service subsidization up, instead of having it disguised in cross-fare schemes or so. Some countries, like Italy, opt to sharply cut services that don't break even, others, like Netherlands, opt to specifically contract money-losing services, but then the "losses" are paid from the budget of the government, not from the operating company.
It seams that this system isn't bad as I thought it would be. In Poland the regional rail is improving instead of deteriorating after the segregation. Local governments are buying new trains for regional rail, while long distance tickets are getting cheaper due to the competition. It seams that many european governments can see the benefits of investing in rail transport. Some may not, but it is for their loss to add polution costs, fuel costs, accidents costs and environmental costs to their countries.

Quote:
Privatization of transportation operations is the best way to go IMO.

Quote:
This is not the debate surrounding the controversy of Stuttgart 21. The debate is about cost-effectiveness of different policy choices within the domains of rail passenger transport (and cargo transport to a lesser extent as Stuttgart 21 would clear space for more freight trains).
What are the other choices? AFAIK it would be just leave everything as it is, which is dumb. The city needs to have a pass-through line, that's basic to have efficient rail transport. If people don't like the current project, they should propose an alternative which achieves this essential goal. A dead-end station is a big inneficiency.
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #626
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Bear in mind, though, that infrastructure and operation entities are already separated and completely segregated in all EU countries.
You know very little about railways and Deutsche Bahn in particular. Segregation of infrastructure and rolling stock is more difficult than you think and hasn't actually been done yet in Germany.
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #627
Suburbanist
on the road

It's been done in terms of accountancy, at least
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #628
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Yep! Neither DB, nor the italian FS, have completed the process of separating their infrastructure from their operator.

Trenitalia, the italian operator, and RFI, the network owner, still live in the same group (FS). TI is a private operator, in competition with all its peers, while RFI is supposed to guarantee the same rights to access the network to all operators.

And they live sharing the same bed. This situation, you may understand, is something which should raise the interest of a decent antitrust agency...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #629
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
And they live sharing the same bed. This situation, you may understand, is something which should raise the interest of a decent antitrust agency...
Completely agreed!
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #630
thun

It's not only done that way in Germany and Italy but elsewhere in Europe, too. Even in France, track maintenance is a task of SNCF although its not the owner.

As long as all competitors have equal access to the time slots available, imo there's no problem at all. The only field where it counts so far is freight traffic, and there weren't any problems reported so far in Germany. I don't see it as that a big problem.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #631
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
It's not only done that way in Germany and Italy but elsewhere in Europe, too. Even in France, track maintenance is a task of SNCF although its not the owner.

As long as all competitors have equal access to the time slots available, imo there's no problem at all. The only field where it counts so far is freight traffic, and there weren't any problems reported so far in Germany. I don't see it as that a big problem.
We need those measures to be implemented in regard of passenger transport too. So freight and passenger traffic can compete for the slots.
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #632
sekelsenmat

Quote:
We need those measures to be implemented in regard of passenger transport too. So freight and passenger traffic can compete for the slots.
Yes, sure, so says the fox about how the sheep should shelter his house =) This measure would conveniently impact passenger rail. I still wonder why you want to force everyone to use cars.

The inverse equivalent of this measure would be putting tolls in *all* roads and account in their price not only the infra-structure maintenance, but also the loss that car accidents make in the economy, environmental compensations, global warming fighting, all problems of air pollution, etc.
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #633
Koen Acacia

Likes (Received): 1917

Quote:
The inverse equivalent of this measure would be putting tolls in *all* roads and account in their price not only the infra-structure maintenance, but also the loss that car accidents make in the economy, environmental compensations, global warming fighting, all problems of air pollution, etc.
Let's go spam the highway forum with this.
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #634
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I agree with a system-wide scheme where the direct costs of road transport (road construction and maintenance, accident victims treatments etc.) are paid by drivers, IF all the special taxes on fuel, cars, parking are not to be used for anything else but this purpose.

As for "environmental compensations", I couldn't care less, and global warming makes me laugh. Not that it doesn't exist, but that it is not the responsibility of drivers to use their car less to fight global warming - we need, indeed, cleaner fuels and electric cars powered with clean energy (nuclear, wind, solar whatever) instead of "driving less".

So keep it is bs to think a transport mode should bear "indirect" costs, while others shouldn't. Keep it simple: every transportation mode should pay for its own INFRASTRUCTURE and DIRECT IMPACT (accidents, property taken through eminent domain, noise mitigation etc).
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #635
sekelsenmat

Quote:
As for "environmental compensations", I couldn't care less, and global warming makes me laugh. Not that it doesn't exist, but that it is not the responsibility of drivers to use their car less to fight global warming - we need, indeed, cleaner fuels and electric cars powered with clean energy (nuclear, wind, solar whatever) instead of "driving less".
It would be interresting to know how much electricity that would require. Depending on how much, it could make electric power extremely expensive for everyone.
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #636
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
It would be interresting to know how much electricity that would require. Depending on how much, it could make electric power extremely expensive for everyone.
In US, according do DOE, the amount of energy used to power personal cars is 26% of total energy consumption. I would say figures are lower in Europe as cars here are lighter and more fuel efficient.
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #637
sekelsenmat

Quote:
In US, according do DOE, the amount of energy used to power personal cars is 26% of total energy consumption. I would say figures are lower in Europe as cars here are lighter and more fuel efficient.
Summing up the data from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_..._United_States

I summed up the data and in the USA 40% of the total energy consumption is done in electrical form, so shifting cars to electricity would increase electrical energy consumption by 65%.
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #638
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Summing up the data from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_..._United_States

I summed up the data and in the USA 40% of the total energy consumption is done in electrical form, so shifting cars to electricity would increase electrical energy consumption by 65%.
You can't just sum it. Efficiency of electrical engines is far higher than that of internal combustion engines. Hence, less energy is needed to move the same cars same distance. Moreover, you can (relatively) easily build oil-powered electrical plants, so you make electricity from what you'd refine and put in the thank, than use it to charge cars' batteries, and you will end up spending LESS overall energy.
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #639
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:

That's actually not what happened in the UK. The number of train services offered has almost doubled since privatisation. So have passenger numbers.
Public transport's modal share even increased there.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #640
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Some countries, like Italy, opt to sharply cut services that don't break even, others, like Netherlands, opt to specifically contract money-losing services, but then the "losses" are paid from the budget of the government, not from the operating company.
The problem in Italy is that the incumbent is very inefficient, so a cut of subsidies usually means a serious cut in services, where other companies would just try to cut costs first, not services. Trenitalia however has so far managed to game the system so that other railway companies hardly stand a chance. In the end the Italian train traveller, and the tax payer lose.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote