daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #1101
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
With surprising clarity, a referendum in the state of Baden-Würtemberg favors the continuation of the Stuttgart Main Station reconstruction as planned. More than 50 % of voters are against the state's abandoning the project. The green prime minister says he will follow the decision, which is not binding, as not enough voters turned up to vote.

Very good news indeed!

Quote:
Germans back new 4,1bln euro train station in referendum

By JUERGEN BAETZ

Voters in one of Germany's wealthiest regions on Sunday solidly backed the 4.1 billion euro ($5.5 billion) construction of a disputed new underground train station in a referendum, official results showed Sunday.

A majority of 58.8 percent of Baden-Wuerttemberg state's voters rejected a motion that would have forced the government to cancel the construction contract with German railway operator Deutsche Bahn AG, the state election commission said.

According to results from all 44 of the state's electoral districts, 41.2 percent were in favor of the motion.

The project to take the state capital Stuttgart's main train station underground has proven hugely controversial. Tens of thousands turned out repeatedly last year to protest the project.

But the project's critics, who have said the infrastructure project is a waste of money and will lead to sizable cost overruns, conceded defeat late Sunday.

"The people have spoken," state governor Winfried Kretschmann -- himself among the project's critics -- told public broadcaster SWR, vowing to respect the outcome.

Supporters of the Stuttgart 21 train station maintain it will free up the city's packed center and help shorten journeys across Europe, for example for trains traveling between Paris, Munich and Vienna. They also said that canceling the contract could have resulted in huge fines of up to euro1.5 billion -- without getting any improvement to the state's infrastructure.

[...]

Quote:
Deutsche Bahn to order trains for up to 2bln euro

FRANKFURT | Mon Dec 5, 2011

Dec 5 (Reuters) - German rail operator Deutsche Bahn said it signed a framework agreement to order trains worth as much as 2 billion euros ($2.7 billion) from France's Alstom, Spain's CAF and Stadler Pankow GmbH.

Under the agreement, the companies would deliver as many as 400 multi-unit trains for use in regional rail traffic to Deutsche Bahn by the end of 2018.

Deutsche Bahn said the framework contract included a proposal for two different types of train and that a competitive process would determine the specific contract details for the manufacturers.

($1 = 0.7446 euros) (Reporting by Maria Sheahan)
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #1102
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1595

wow, any idea over which models might have been chosen? I guess for Stadler that would be the FLIRT as the KISS is more suburban-network oriented, what about Alstom and CAF?
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #1103
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud
wow, any idea over which models might have been chosen? I guess for Stadler that would be the FLIRT as the KISS is more suburban-network oriented, what about Alstom and CAF?
Alstom has several trains in their Coradia range of products. Most likely candidates are Coradia LINT and Coradia Continental.
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #1104
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
Well, in Germany Suburban (S-Bahn) operations mostly uses single deck stock, where in regional operations double deck trains are common. That's a bit the opposite from Switzerland really.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1105
thun

According to the press release that can be found on the websites of DB and Stadler, the framework contract contains two "train concepts", which I think means that Alsthom, Stadler and CAF are going to co-operate in the design and construction in some form.
The choice of the models is up to the administrations ordering the rail service.

The Stadler KISS is going to be used for inter city services as well (Austria's WestBahn), so why shouldn't it be possible to adopt it for regional services? Nevertheless that doesn't seem very likely to happen in Germany as DB signed an 1.8bln order for double decker coaches with Bombardier which contains driving units as well.
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #1106
Vaud

What does this mean? I don't speak german and google translate does not work well when wanting to get into details:

Quote:
Die Einzelvergaben an einen der drei Hersteller erfolgen im nachgelagerten Wettbewerb mit den Anforderungen der jeweiligen Verkehrsausschreibung. Die Auslieferung des ersten Fahrzeuges soll 25 Monate nach der Bestellung erfolgen.
Einen der drei means that this is actually a competition between the three companies to deliver one proposal and only one will be given the contract?
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #1107
thun

Ok, apparently I was wrong.
It says that the actual orders according to the specifications defined by the orderer of the respective service (= the Bundesland) will be given to one of the three companies through a bidding process, with delivery of the first train set due within 25 months after the order.

edit to clearify: There will be more than one order because the Länder are going to define individual specifications for each service they will tender. So DB might end up buying trains from all three companies.

Last edited by thun; December 10th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #1108
Vaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Ok, apparently I was wrong.
It says that the actual order according to the specifications defined by the orderer of the respective service (= the Bundesland) will be given to one of the three companies through a bidding process, with delivery of the first train set due within 25 months after the order.
Thanks in that case I'm sure DB will end up buying some very good trains given the good reputation of the three contenders!
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1109
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Siemens has major problems delivering the Velaro D to Deutsche Bahn. There are so many delays that the launch of the ICE to London has to be postponed to the end of 2015, that's the best-case scenario. The end of 2016 is more realistic.

Source: Frankfurter Algemeine

Meanwhile Eurostar says that the delivery of their new e320 trainsets (also from Siemens) will not be affected, they will start operating trains from London to Amsterdam starting somewhere in 2014.
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #1110
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

The upgraded highspeed railway line between Munich and Augsburg was opened five days ago. It now has four instead of two tracks and enables higher speeds for the trains.

Length of the Augsburg–Munich line: 61km
Length of the upgraded line: 44km
Line speed: 230 km/h for ICE traffic; 160 km/h for regional and goods traffic
Costs: 700 millions Euro
Construction time: 1998-2011

Press release by Deutsche Bahn with a nice VIDEO (in German)

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; December 15th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1111
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Nice project. But I'm rather disappointed at the maximum speeds, I was expecting something on the 320km/h range.
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1112
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Nice project. But I'm rather disappointed at the maximum speeds, I was expecting something on the 320km/h range.
It's an upgraded line, not a new line. 230 kph is exactly what you expect for such projects.
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1113
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Above 250 km/h would probably be around 2 Billions instead of 700 Millions.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #1114
thun

...and make no sense at all for only 44km length.

The main issue on that stretch was a massive lack of capacity (especially for cargo and commuters between the two cities), not necessarily the travel time itself.

And, aditionally, on the same day in the southwest of both cities the long awaited tilting trains went into service so that the regional trains on the hilly, curvy and unelectrified Allgäubahn (Augsburg to Lindau via Kempten) can now run with up to 160kph and realize massive cuts in travel times (half an hour between Lindau and Augsburg, cutting the travel time to ca. 2 hours). The region is one of the last larger areas without any electrified railways in Germany; DB invested ca. 100m Euros over the last years to upgrate the tracks for tilting trains.
Press release by DB in German.

Both projects together are probably the most important improvement on the railways of Bavarian Swabia over the last 50 years as they cover the two most important lines of the district.

Last edited by thun; December 15th, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1115
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Any plans to electrify the lines?
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1116
thun

No. They don't even manage to upgrate & electrify the partly single track Munich-Lindau line via Memmingen (which is used by the Munich-Zurich Eurocities) although it's been planned for quite some time now.
Old December 16th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #1117
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

image hosted on flickr
Old December 16th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #1118
thun

Nice, baut that's apparently at Amserdam Centraal. The train on the left certainly is a Dutch IRM/VIRM "Regiorunner".
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #1119
K_

Quote:
Yes. Lindau - München will be electrified.
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #1120
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Quote:
No. Although according to this source there is a slightly chance that this project could be realised around the year 2050.