daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1221
MattN

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Transport is not going to cease its existence in Germany if DB was dismantled and its assets sold, in parts, to different bidders. Germany would only lose the concept of a system operating as a "network", and would have to adjust to new realities (no more trains leaving Frankfurt to Stuttgart every 12 minutes past the hour). But we'd see, likely, lower prices.

A precedent: air transport, once organized in networks with the excuse of the need of central coordination and good use of the public resources sunk on runways, and the need to provide fairness with accessible fares to different parts of the country. And we can all fly nowadays because it is so cheap...
Worked a treat on most of the UK's buses, didn't it?
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1222
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 13873

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
Worked a treat on most of the UK's buses, didn't it?
Well, you can get knock down fares in many routes, like London-Glasgow for £ 19 and Manchester-London for £ 9 with advance purchase.

For most people, there are now more offers, better buses and - bingo! - drivers don't strike because they will be promptly replaced.

Only hamlets in the countryside are far worse off like not having reasonable service or losing connections to nearby villages.

Incidentally, when I was in Berlin there were ads for direct buses to HAmburg and Hannover starting € 14.99 each way.
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1223
K_

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Incidentally, when I was in Berlin there were ads for direct buses to HAmburg and Hannover starting € 14.99 each way.
And interestingly these buses leave Berlin at 60 min intervals. Now why would that be...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1224
MattN

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Well, you can get knock down fares in many routes, like London-Glasgow for £ 19 and Manchester-London for £ 9 with advance purchase.

For most people, there are now more offers, better buses and - bingo! - drivers don't strike because they will be promptly replaced.

Only hamlets in the countryside are far worse off like not having reasonable service or losing connections to nearby villages.

Well done for deliberately missing the point. Intercity coaches are not the same as buses. Try looking at the enormously higher rate of fare increases versus inflation and ever declining patronage that afflict most British bus operations. Look at places that don't experience this. Most have integrated systems which are much more user friendly and still manage to have new buses.

As for that remark about striking, its rather desperate and complete rubbish. All manner of companies have experienced strikes in Britain, from local operators like Nottingham City Transport to multinationals like FirstGroup. And funnily enough, the services didn't remain shut down for weeks afterwards whilst they replaced their entire staff, not least because that would be illegal.

You appear to have a rather odd world view, in which everybody will benefit from a competition-based utopia which is plainly unachievable and the lower prices etc which will result, whilst at the same time nobody has the right to strike and is basically at the mercy of what their employers will be kind enough to give them, which will mean nobody can afford the services of all these competing businesses. All the while personal freedoms will be somewhat restricted, based essentially on your personal preferences.

Public Transport's primary competitor is the car, not another public transport service. I appreciate you think that public transport services/vehicles are somehow directly comparable to each car on the road in the way that they interact with users and infrastructure, but this is clearly nonsense. Public transport services are generally used and treated as infrastructure in themselves, and function best when co-ordinated. Imagine a world where, when driving somewhere, you had to pay double and wait for half an hour just to turn onto a different road.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1225
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 75

A deconstruction of DB into small networks sold off would actually probably result in regional assemblies (already having planning authority for subsidized local public transport) taking them over or outright buying them up. This usually involves local companies as well. In many cases these would then refocus planning on providing even more stable use tables emphasizing the importance of local public transport, with interregional passenger and freight trains being reduced to use only excess capacity. At premium prices and on the conditions of the regional assembly of course.
Due to the interconnection between public transport planning authority and regional planning as a whole the resulting semi-privatized infrastructure company would also gain a hold over any outside company or agent - including the federation - wanting to build infrastructure through their territory.

At least that's what probably would happen in the richer south and west. In pisspoor east and north we'd probably have a rampage of private companies outbidding each other over the infrastructure blocks until they learn they've overreached and become insolvent, resulting in costsaving measures and the death of any rail infrastructure and services in those areas.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1226
Suburbanist
on the road

I was thinking on breaking up the operations, not the infrastructure, would be controlled by a neutral federal agency, allowing whomever pays more for it to use it.
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #1227
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 7796

It´s time for some pictures:

As you might know, Deutsche Bahn awaits the delivery of her first Velaro D highspeed trains. There are 16 trains on order but DB will get most probably one more for free from Siemens because of delivery delays.

Velaro D

Number of trains:
16 (probably 17)
Vmax:
320 km/h
Capacity:
460 passengers
Delivery date:
2012 - 2013
Contract value:
500 Million €uro

___

A Velaro D being fitted out in the Siemens plant in Krefeld.

Velaro D on a test run.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1228
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 677

The initial order was 15 trains (Class 407, if I remember correctly). The 16th has been ordered to replaced an ICE3MF damaged in an incident (one of the 6 Class 406 sets available for Paris-Germany services), and now a 17th has been added.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1229
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 795

what are the chances of the Basel-Schaffhausen line being completely electrified? I know the -border section will be
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1230
iamawesomezero
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Awesome!
iamawesomezero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1231
Momo1435
Marotesque

Likes (Received): 34908

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
what are the chances of the Basel-Schaffhausen line being completely electrified? I know the -border section will be
The plans are that the full electrification should be completed at the end of 2016.

source:
http://www.suedkurier.de/region/hoch...372623,5271875

It's only a 15km part of the line between Waldshut - Erzingen that is not part of the plans of the Regio S-Bahn Basel or the S-Bahn Schaffhausen. It would have been crazy if they would have decided to not electrify that part of the line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1232
flierfy

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
This railway line is rather lowly ranked on the priority list to say the least. So there is virtually zero chance of fund from Germany. So, unless Switzerland steps in I can't see it being electrified in a foreseeable time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1233
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The initial order was 15 trains (Class 407, if I remember correctly). The 16th has been ordered to replaced an ICE3MF damaged in an incident (one of the 6 Class 406 sets available for Paris-Germany services), and now a 17th has been added.

Correctamundo!
Maybe DB will get even more trains for free if Siemens will have to announce more delivery delays.

Velaro D in action
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #1234
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded

Correctamundo!
Maybe DB will get even more trains for free if Siemens will have to announce more delivery delays.

Velaro D in action
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJVZhhVay4">YouTube Link</a>
Very strange contract arrangement: I delay your order and then, instead of getting fined or a price reduction, I have your order increased!

Non-sense: with delay, DB should get money and put a tender for new units. Maybe Alstom, CAF or andaldoBreda could take those orders.
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1235
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Quote:
Very strange contract arrangement: I delay your order and then, instead of getting fined or a price reduction, I have your order increased!

Non-sense: with delay, DB should get money and put a tender for new units. Maybe Alstom, CAF or andaldoBreda could take those orders.

The additional train (the 17th) doesn´t cost DB one €uro. It´s for free. DB gets 17 trains for the price of 16.

Sounds good for me.
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #1236
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 301

Quote:

Those are intercity buses. The problems of British local buses are well-documented. Jarrett Walker puts it most succinctly: take the bus that comes!
Quote:

Not remotely strange. In such cases the common practice is for the vendor to compensate with either (a) free equipment or (b) $$$.

IIRC (in the US) SEPTA's two ALP-44s came about because the N-5 order ran late. This is a typical example.
to find out why.

"The AAR can't do a worse job than the FRA is currently doing." --

The FRA is easily the most incompetent regulatory agency in America. Why Republicans always focus on the EPA instead, is beyond me.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #1237
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:

As an earlier poster said, DB gets a free Velaro D, personally I wouldn't turn that offer down!

But also, as an aside, I can't believe you're actually suggesting anyone would still place an order with ansaldoBreda, that company is in a terrible state!
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1238
K_

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Not remotely strange. In such cases the common practice is for the vendor to compensate with either (a) free equipment or (b) $$$.

IIRC (in the US) SEPTA's two ALP-44s came about because the N-5 order ran late. This is a typical example.
When Siemens (again) was late delivering double deckers for Zürichs' commuters services they delivered an extra set free of charge as compensation.

It is indeed quite common.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1239
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 677

If there is no need for new trains, but one or two more would be useful, then a new tender is dangerous and an agreement like these is better. Having a single or a pair of trains of a different type (in this example, it could be 16 Velaro D and a single TGV) only increases operating costs and complicates management. That's why prototypes and small series of vehicles are usually put out of service before than usual life length of a train.

In the pas, however, when trains were simpler prototype engines lasted longer, like SBB Ae 4/8 single example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBB-CFF-FFS_Ae_4/8 (42 years!).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1240
makita09

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:

Note to self. When Suburbanist comes into my shop offer him something extra for free. He'll decline and then buy something else. Not only that he'll opt for something with absolutely no economies of scale!