daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1261
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
very dangerous situation at the last video. DB should install some PSDs there. Not overnight, but on a long-term plan to make stations safer and platforms more physically isolated from the tracks.
Installing platform screen doors is difficult if a line is served by different types of rolling stock with doors in different places.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1262
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
Installing platform screen doors is difficult if a line is served by different types of rolling stock with doors in different places.
Yes. They'd need then to install sliding PSDs or put the doors/gates on the stairs that give access to the platform, opening them only before a train that will stop is approaching.
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1263
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1594

Quote:
Yes. They'd need then to install sliding PSDs or put the doors/gates on the stairs that give access to the platform, opening them only before a train that will stop is approaching.
Seriously, doors on the stairs? Sometimes I find it particularly hard to know whether you are trying to joke while fooling everyone into thinking that you say those things for real, or you actually believe your words.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #1264
Suburbanist
on the road

I think the majority of fatal incidents of passengers falling on tracks happen near stations, not along rural areas, for obvious reasons.

Putting a physical barrier to seal off platforms would help.

Seat bels on airplanes were once considered "a joke" and helmets once heavily frowned upon by motorcyclists.
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1265
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

99% incidents happens due to (mental) inability of some people to not cross the damn line!

Having a dedicated ROW - great! Just benefits of screening a to small for general use railways, compared to expenses and complicity of process. Unlike the mass urban transit and some stations of dedicated HSR, were PSD are easier to install and benefits are grater due to greater density of passengers.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1266
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

image hosted on flickr

In 2008 I took this train from Copenhagen to Munich. The night train arrived 3h late to Munich. We went to the DB Travel-Info centre and received new tickets for Verona, we missed that connecting train because of the delay.

What is the situation nowadays? Are these long distance trains still slow and delayed?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by NordikNerd; April 5th, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1267
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
What is the situation nowadays? Are these long distance trains still slow and delayed?
I hope you realize that you can't derive a structural problem from a single incident.
Anyways, Süddeutsche Zeitung runs a live tracker of all long distance trains in Germany showing delays and reasons for a few weeks now: www.zugmonitor.sueddeutsche.de
Feel free to take your own conclusions!
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1268
twentyfivetacos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
I think the majority of fatal incidents of passengers falling on tracks happen near stations, not along rural areas, for obvious reasons.

Putting a physical barrier to seal off platforms would help.

Seat bels on airplanes were once considered "a joke" and helmets once heavily frowned upon by motorcyclists.
Vast majority of people who get hit by trains are suicides you imbecile
twentyfivetacos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1269
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Yes. They'd need then to put the doors/gates on the stairs that give access to the platform, opening them only before a train that will stop is approaching.
Yeah, so that people will get crushed during rush hour.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1270
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1594

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfivetacos View Post
Vast majority of people who get hit by trains are suicides you imbecile
I was going to say the same, but you don't need to insult, suburbanist might have bizarre ideas but that precisely speaks well for him
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1271
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Yeah, so that people will get crushed during rush hour.
Danger of falling on tracks is greater than danger of crushing on gates IMO.
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #1272
inanutshell

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Worthy proposals but shouldn't we focus on the greater danger first? The way to the train station on public roads?

Cars are dangerous, the only solution is to limit their speed to 30 km/h everywhere, install screen doors at all intersection and demand the constant use of the horn to warn endangered pedestrians.

Also, you're wrong. Stampedes might occur less frequently but can be extremely deadly and you can avoid falling on the tracks with a bit of prudence and common sense while there's nothing you can do if you get crushed by a mass of people.

I also don't see what's so dangerous about that specific platform. The escalator limits the number of people that can surface in any given time period and there is no reason for people to stop in that part of the platform so there is no overcrowding.
inanutshell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #1273
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by inanutshell View Post
Cars are dangerous, the only solution is to limit their speed to 30 km/h everywhere, install screen doors at all intersection and demand the constant use of the horn to warn endangered pedestrians.
I actually would propose that all cars have to be preceded by a person with a flag. A horn is a nuisance. Car drivers have to submit a driving plan before taking to the road, and those plans are published, so the public can inform itself.
I propose that we make filing a driving plan very expensive for people who want to just drive whenever they want, and give reductions to people who can commit to a schedule beforehand...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1274
K_

Quote:
The risk of both is vanishingly small, so it's really not relevant what is the higher risk...
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #1275
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
In 2008 I took this train from Copenhagen to Munich. The night train arrived 3h late to Munich. We went to the DB Travel-Info centre and received new tickets for Verona, we missed that connecting train because of the delay.
You wouldn't have had to go to the travel centre for that, you could just have boarded the next available train to Verona.

Quote:
I've never had major delays on night trains the last couple of years. The night train to Köln I take regularly was punctual every time (I'm due to take that one again in two weeks time). We had maybe 10 minutes delay in Zagreb once.

Night trains actually have quite a bit of slack in their schedules so that they are usually on time. I once was on a Palermo - Milano train that managed to accumulate an hour of delay while still in Sicily, but arrived spot on time in Milano nevertheless.
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1276
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Night trains actually have quite a bit of slack in their schedules so that they are usually on time. I once was on a Palermo - Milano train that managed to accumulate an hour of delay while still in Sicily, but arrived spot on time in Milano nevertheless.
Those abominations were eliminated from the Italian timetable last December. But that is for the Italian thread.
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1277
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
Seriously, doors on the stairs? Sometimes I find it particularly hard to know whether you are trying to joke while fooling everyone into thinking that you say those things for real, or you actually believe your words.
I know at least one station in Germany where you cannot access the platforms until a train has come to a full stop. Until then you're stuck behind a door with an electronic lock. Östrich-Winkel, west of Wiesbaden.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #1278
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 925

Quote:
Those abominations were eliminated from the Italian timetable last December. But that is for the Italian thread.
Thank god what you just said is bullshit as usual. Night trains still exist in Italy.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1279
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

S Bahn Munich

S7 Wolfratshausen-Hauptbahnhof

S3 Holzkirchen -Ostbahnhof
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1280
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
You wouldn't have had to go to the travel centre for that, you could just have boarded the next available train to Verona.
not if it's some kind of discount tickets that only valid for that train/time or they have reservation seats.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote