daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1361
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63135

Here's how the EMUs produced by CAF will look like. The DB has made a framework agreement with CAF, Stadler and Alstom for 400 regional EMUs.

source: http://www.lks.es/C/AA/DI/DD/portfol...or-DB-CAF.aspx
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1362
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

DB also has a few Talgo sets for night trains.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1363
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
DB also has a few Talgo sets for night trains.
Are they still used ? Last time I went to Berlin, I saw a few units rotting
away in a siding along the east-west line, not far from Ostbahnof...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1364
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

DB only got the Talgo sets as a return order after the Spanish used German technology for their 1st HSL (Madrid-Sevilla) and a Spanish order for Siemens locomotives (Eurosprinter, Class 252). I doubt they would have got them without political involvement.

They aren't used anymore, 2009 was the last year in service. They where up for a mid-life refurbishment, the DB didn't want to spend more money on them. Since then they have been used for a couple of special trains. But now they are awaiting a second life somewhere else or the scrappers.
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1365
Atomicus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Here's how the EMUs produced by CAF will look like. The DB has made a framework agreement with CAF, Stadler and Alstom for 400 regional EMUs.

source: http://www.lks.es/C/AA/DI/DD/portfol...or-DB-CAF.aspx
Looks like a revised version of the ones we got here in Madrid.

Atomicus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #1366
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
But now they are awaiting a second life somewhere else or the scrappers.
And that's a pity, since I used them twice (B>M and HH>M) and they had the best reclining night seats I've ever tried, combined with an excellent ride quality.

A couple of months ago I had another B>M, this time with ordinary X coaches, and the travel quality was not even near to the Talgo's one.

If DB wants to scrap those trains, I hope they may sell those reclining seats, I'd install them at home

I don't know if they're still awaiting death at Warschauer Str. depot... I don't recall seeing them again this year.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1367
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

They are now in Hamm, the DB uses the former freight yard there as a long term storage for trains that have gone out of service. They even gave it a fancy name: Stillstandsmanagement Hamm

Here's a video of the talgo cars going from Berlin to Hamm, they connected all the sets together to make 1 long 50 car train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicus View Post
Looks like a revised version of the ones we got here in Madrid.
They do indeed.

The DB still has to place an actual order for the CAF trains. Stadler and Alstom have already seen an order from the framework agreement.

btw here's how the Stadler and the Alstom trains look like.

Stadler Flirt 3

http://www.eurailpress.de/article/vi...eistungen.html

Alstom Coradia Continental (upgraded version of the BR440)

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2...eutsche-bahn-/

To make the recent orders for new EMUs types complete, the DB also ordered double deck EMU's from Bombardier. These came out of the framework agreement for the double deck coaches. The 4-car EMU will have 2 motor cars at the 2 ends and 2 regular double deck coaches in between.

http://www.bombardier.com/en/corpora...01260d801f81e5

Last edited by Momo1435; May 21st, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1368
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Having seen quite a few trains in Europe now and ICE's have the best design, but that's a matter of taste of course... I like the color scheme in particular.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1369
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The Coradia Continental is obviously happy about becoming reality, look at it smile
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:00 AM   #1370
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I tried the BR440 on a quick round trip M<->Augsburg and I didn't like it. The windows are a joke, small and weirdly higher than the seats.
Claustrophoby at its best... we rode that train to see the new 4-track Muenchen - Augsburg, but "seeing" was almost impossible.

But I understand the plan: making windows so high that they let you see only a little above the omnispread noise barriers...

About the Doppelstock EMUs: always wondered how would those coaches be as MU (the DMU already exists), but I'm pretty worried about the M+T+T+M setup... in Italy we had some "unfortunate" results with the shi**y TAF trains...

About ICE 3 and Velaro D shape: the white-with-red-stripe scheme was innovative in the 90s on the ICE1, making them a stunning piece of industrial design (and still is, IMO).
On the ICE 3 it was well applied, but the train itself showed a dynamic and equlibrate shape.
This is what the Velaro D is missing: too many pieces in the front, and no more of that linear shape of its predecessor. It seems bulky.
The Eurostar livery, with its full-yellow front, hides this pretty well; the ICE livery does not.
And I think that on traditional coaches the ICE livery is not that good... probably because they miss the typical "cool detail": the black stripe on the windows.

I've seen this on an Italian HST, due to a recent change of colour scheme: it lost the black windows stripe, and now it seems an old carriage...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1371
thun

The 440 is a bit weird, that's true. I frankly don't think its a big step forward.

Those new EMUs all look pretty ugly to me. The double decker is ok.

@ Talgo: really a pitty they were put out of service. Having used an Talgo night train in Spain I have to say they are way superior to conventional sleeper coaches in terms of ride quality.
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1372
inanutshell

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
About the Doppelstock EMUs: always wondered how would those coaches be as MU (the DMU already exists), but I'm pretty worried about the M+T+T+M setup... in Italy we had some "unfortunate" results with the shi**y TAF trains..
Well, DB's sitting on a million billion Doppelstock coaches, so whatever the problem you can be certain that for the next 30 years the solution will involve Doppelstock coaches.

Of the single-level EMUs I don't like the CAF version. The other two look pretty good though.
inanutshell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1373
thun

Apparently the FLIRT 3 uses the same front as the BLS-Stadler KISS. The best front design of all FLIRTs imo has the NSB version, though.
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1374
walker wiefel

I like the happy-face

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2...eutsche-bahn-/
walker wiefel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1375
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

yea it's much nicer than the angry faces of some trains.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1376
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
As for translucent glasses peeking into the cabin, I'm glad they are getting rid of that security failure.
Why is that a security failure? For DB it used to be even a source of extra income...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1377
aleander

He is afraid of terrorists breaking in and steering trains into skyscrapers.
aleander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1378
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

I read that they are going to cancel the Nurberg-Praha train service as of Dec. 2012. It was apparently killed by bus competition (the market is heavily concentrated in both cities and the trains stops too much, thus slower).

They'd route services currently running on that route to Münche Hbf.

=============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Why is that a security failure? For DB it used to be even a source of extra income...
Terrorists could gain access to the driver's cabin and take control, if only for a few moments, of a train, like deploying emergency braking in a rural stretch of tracks then having armed men in the wood gunning down passengers as they exit the trains - for instance.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1379
aleander

Quote:
Terrorists could gain access to the driver's cabin and take control, if only for a few moments, of a train, like deploying emergency braking in a rural stretch of tracks then having armed men in the wood gunning down passengers as they exit the trains - for instance.
Y'know, if they can pull that off, they could just mine the tracks. And before you think that fencing the tracks off is enough, there's RPGs, molotov cocktails and remote-detonation IEDs. Because Germany is like Afghanistan, man.
aleander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1380
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
And they can't do that when the panel and the door is made out of wood or plastic, as opposed to sturdy glass? :')