daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #1401
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

i get that, but the point is, tunnels, bridges, viaducts and whatnot should be fully utilized on a 100+ year timescale and i seriously doubt they will build another one so i always advocate for at least the alignment - if not the actual speed - to be able to handle 300+++ speeds

not that we wouldnt run around naked while totally stoned if we had a SINGLE line here capable of 160 without having to stop at a series of "potholes"..
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1402
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

It is not China, with millions of people traveling 1000+ km distances by train. ICE stops in München Hbf., M Pasing, Augsburg, Ulm, Stuttgart.
I think in such a service the top speed is not such important, it may be 250 or 320, does not really matter.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #1403
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Of course it does matter! If you start summing each 3 minutes here, 90 second there, and do this dozens of times for a long-distance route, you could easily shave like 2 hours from total scheduled time by improving tracks and eliminating stops.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1404
aleander

Likes (Received): 0

If you remove all the stops, make a huge circle, put it underground, pump out the air and make the entire train into an engine, you can probably do a mach or two. Would shave a lot of time from the round-trip between the southernmost part of the loop and northernmost part of the loop.
aleander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1405
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
i get that, but the point is, tunnels, bridges, viaducts and whatnot should be fully utilized on a 100+ year timescale and i seriously doubt they will build another one so i always advocate for at least the alignment - if not the actual speed - to be able to handle 300+++ speeds

not that we wouldnt run around naked while totally stoned if we had a SINGLE line here capable of 160 without having to stop at a series of "potholes"..
Who said the track layout could not cope with 300+? Trains just won't run that fast since the tracks are partly too steep to run faster (24,5 ‰).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Ulm_Profil.png

Last edited by KingNick; June 5th, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #1406
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Tunnel ratio 0.5, that almost meets Austrian standards of how a new railway line has to look like.
I see a lot of Verkehrswegebündelung there. Good thing!

BTW: Upgrade München - Salzburg to HSR already!

Yeah, Verkehrswegebündelung leads to less Landschaftsverbrauch if you know what I mean.

München-Salzburg HSR is no problem! Just pay for it.

Quote:

I´m curious, where is "here"? Just asking.

Quote:
Who said the track layout could not cope with 300+? Trains just won't run that fast since the tracks is partly too steep to run faster (24,5 ‰).

Exactly, the Schwäbische Alb is a b!tch when it comes to infrastructural projects!
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #1407
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

Yeah, Verkehrswegebündelung leads to less Landschaftsverbrauch if you know what I mean.

München-Salzburg HSR is no problem! Just pay for it.
We're about to build you guys and Italy a freaking long tunnel through the Alps. Now it's your turn to return the favor and besides, it would be nice to have the 1-2-3 concept realized between Vienna and Munich (1 hour to Salzburg, 2 hours to Linz, 3 hours to Vienna).
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #1408
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Quote:
I´m curious, where is "here"? Just asking.
He is referring to Hungary.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #1409
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Who said the track layout could not cope with 300+? Trains just won't run that fast since the tracks are partly too steep to run faster (24,5 ‰).

Well, that it means that it would be an ulra high speed railway, when travelinh from Ulm to Stut.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1410
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Of course it does matter! If you start summing each 3 minutes here, 90 second there, and do this dozens of times for a long-distance route, you could easily shave like 2 hours from total scheduled time by improving tracks and eliminating stops.
Removing stops increases the utility for some passengers, and reduces it for others. Finding the right balance is needed here.

The most cost effective way to shave a lot of time from the total remains clever timetabling. It has been demonstrated that a new interval timetable for the whole of Germany could save a lot of travel time for a lot of passengers without needing expensive infrastructure work.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1411
K_

Quote:
The new Bern - Olten railway in Switzerland could cope with 300+ kph trains too. The reason trains run "only" 200kph there is that is sufficient for this route.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1412
gramercy
BANNED

sweet
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #1413
AAPMBerlin

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
We're about to build you guys and Italy a freaking long tunnel through the Alps. Now it's your turn to return the favor and besides, it would be nice to have the 1-2-3 concept realized between Vienna and Munich (1 hour to Salzburg, 2 hours to Linz, 3 hours to Vienna).
oh yeah! with money from the european union... and who pays it????? oh, i forgot: GERMANY for a big part!
So they allready pay it!!!!
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #1414
gramercy
BANNED

4 hours to budapest? nah, never..
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1415
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPMBerlin View Post
oh yeah! with money from the european union... and who pays it????? oh, i forgot: GERMANY for a big part!
So they allready pay it!!!!
Dafuq are you talking about?

And coming from Berlin I'd rather shut up, since you're not financing anything within Germany.
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1416
thun

Quote:
if 30 km is in tunnels, can anyone tell me a GOOD reason why it isn't 300+ kph?
Besides length and steepness, the third reason is that the line is mixed use passenger/freight.
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1417
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
It has been demonstrated that a new interval timetable for the whole of Germany could save a lot of travel time for a lot of passengers without needing expensive infrastructure work.
We do have an interval timetable in Germany for years. Yet, it doesn't necessarily save time.
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #1418
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
We do have an interval timetable in Germany for years. Yet, it doesn't necessarily save time.
It's no longer that well integrated, not like it used to be.

In the 80ies you could leave Hamburg for Basel every hour, and always have the same time en route. Nowadays this is no longer the case. The lack of integration leads to quite long layovers at times, which is inefficient.

For that reason rail advocacy groups in Germany want an integral, coordinated interval timetable for the whole country:
http://www.deutschland-takt.de/
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1419
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Long distance railway transit is no more a public service in Germany, Deutsche Bahn does not get any public financial support to that (not counting building the tracks). So if DB thinks a candenced schedule does not create the highest possible profit, they won't make a candenced shcedule - and you can' do anything on that, since the service is not financed on tay money but on ticket sells.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #1420
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

But, if you have the time, money and expertise and think there's a market for a certain train, you can set up your own train operating company and run it. That's what HKX does, too.