daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #1661
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Knuckles have already become a global standard on standard-gauge rail--(Western) Europe is the only really big bloc using that spec that don't have them. But yeah agreed, it would be a tremendous expense, and one needing the network to be retooled, too.
Actually I don't understand how the high costs would generate.

Of course I don't have in mind a general retrofit of all existing wagons, that would mean serious money (wasted). I work in the freight maintenance field so I know very well how this low-value market can be VERY sensitive to the slightest cost increase of freight wagons operations.

What I have in mind is completing the development of the (I suppose) UIC project of an automatic coupler fully compatible with the existing system, so that new wagons could be built with the new system -within reasonable cost- and be directly compatible with the existing one (no special instruments, no extra maintenance). As long as experience cumulates, this could be extended to heavy overhauls of existing wagons with still decent lifetime.

Fade-out would do the rest.

The concept was a knuckle which would retain the existing buffers, but fitted with a chain compatible with the existing one. The brake pipe would be the standard one, but usually connected to a joint in the knuckle itself (designed as the existing connection); if needed, the pipe can be detached with a quick operation and linked to another wagon, as usual

This way you may have, when coupling:
- old to new coupling: you detach the brake pipe from the knuckler, then manual operation as usual (chain and brake pipe)
- new to new coupling: fully automatic operation

When uncoupling:
- old to new coupling: same as usual, but with the burden of rejoining the brake pipe to the knuckler
- new to new coupling: just pull the lever, as in any automatic coupler

The disadvantage of those few additional steps in old-new coupling would be compensated by the much quickier operations in new-new ones.
An experienced yard operator would lose almost no time in repositioning a brake pipe on a standard joint

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #1662
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
But the other thing is that I don't completely buy the whole "we ship our bulk on ship" thing, either. While it works west of roughly the German border, the peninsular geography of Europe dictates decreasing returns on this mode of shipment as you head further east...
As you go east the modal share of rail freight does increase. The Benelux-Med corridor is an important rail freight corridor.

However the biggest obstacle to rail freight has always been bureaucracy, and the inefficiencies in state companies. Just talk with people in shipping and they will tell you stories of the mind boggling incompetence that was the rule before freight rail was liberalised.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #1663
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The disadvantage of those few additional steps in old-new coupling would be compensated by the much quickier operations in new-new ones.
An experienced yard operator would lose almost no time in repositioning a brake pipe on a standard joint
But in practice there is not that much coupling/uncoupling being done anymore. There is not that much wagonload freight left. Most of the trains are block trains.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #1664
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
What I have in mind is completing the development of the (I suppose) UIC project of an automatic coupler fully compatible with the existing system, so that new wagons could be built with the new system -within reasonable cost- and be directly compatible with the existing one (no special instruments, no extra maintenance).
This already exists in the form of the C-AKv coupling.
Also don't forget that a lot of current freight wagons are already built for future conversion to an automatic coupling / no buffer setup.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1665
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
But in practice there is not that much coupling/uncoupling being done anymore. There is not that much wagonload freight left. Most of the trains are block trains.

Isn't wagonload freight still quite a significant feature of North and Central Europe still?

Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Sweden still shift quite a lot of volume via the single wagon system I believe.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1666
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Switzerland and Austria even load standard gauge wagons on narrow gauge trucks. But for how long?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1667
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Switzerland and Austria even load standard gauge wagons on narrow gauge trucks. But for how long?
There are not a lot of such transport left however. RBS stopped them a few years ago. WSB stopped too.

Interestingly one of the most likely candidates for going for automatic couplers for freight would appear to be the RhB. They do still shunt a lot of freight cars around, and often send up freight in small sections on the back of passenger trains, and they don't need to be compatible with the rest of Europe...
But they still use manual couplers. And witnessing how quick the RhB manages to uncouple and shunt freight cars of the end of a passenger train during turnaround in Arosa I get the idea that they wouldn't gain that much time from automatic couplers.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #1668
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

An interesting layout , whats the reasoning behind this signal setup?

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #1669
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
An interesting layout , whats the reasoning behind this signal setup?
It's a solution for the problem where a road intersection is adjacent to a railroad crossing. When a train approaches traffic on the parallel road is stopped, so any car stopped on the tracks of the crossing gets a chance to clear it. Then once the crossing is closed traffic on the parallel road can proceed again (as long as it's not turning on the crossing).
I've seen similar setups where a railway crossing was integrated with conventional traffic lights.
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #1670
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

They have many such crossings in Netherlands. Obsessed (in a positive way) with signaling consistency as traffic authorities are, they will just pull the electrical signaling indicator and feed it into a normal traffic light.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #1671
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

They have many in Melbourne too. I know there's one at Edithvale Railway Station where there is a crossing like that but where the busy main suburban line is literally in between 2 busy roads (one a highway). Not sure how the signalling feeds in with the traffic light though..
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1672
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Is this a tram-train and Intercity line?

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1673
thun

Yes. The Stadtbahn Karlsruhe (like some other German systems) runs on rail lines just like any other train. They have the same security system (LZB and/or ECTS)
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1674
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

LZB and ETCS (got nothing to do with University ) on the same track? Why would that be? LZB is a Class B System and tracks equipped with such a system don't have to be such converted to ETCS at all. Considering DB's stance towards ETCS I also highly doubt it.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1675
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
LZB and ETCS (got nothing to do with University ) on the same track? Why would that be? LZB is a Class B System and tracks equipped with such a system don't have to be such converted to ETCS at all. Considering DB's stance towards ETCS I also highly doubt it.
DB has already implemented ETCS on a few lines, and has committed
to installing ETCS on the Rotterdam - Milano corridor. However they are indeed not in a hurry.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #1676
thun

You completely got me wrong, KingNick. I'm simply not sure which system ist used or whether there will be changes on the Stadtbahn Karlsruhe lines.
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1677
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
DB has already implemented ETCS on a few lines, and has committed
to installing ETCS on the Rotterdam - Milano corridor. However they are indeed not in a hurry.
They knew for years now that their ICEs on the Vienna - Frankfurt rotation will require ETCS L2 by December 2012 and so far only 4 out of 11 trains got it. Hence most ICEs are already 15 minutes late at their first stop in St. Pölten. No horry is pretty much an understatement.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1678
thun

DB. There's not more to say.
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1679
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
They knew for years now that their ICEs on the Vienna - Frankfurt rotation will require ETCS L2 by December 2012 and so far only 4 out of 11 trains got it. Hence most ICEs are already 15 minutes late at their first stop in St. Pölten. No horry is pretty much an understatement.
In case of the ICEs running to Switzerland they managed to get ETCS installed in time...
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1680
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Yeah, I hear the Swiss are still complaining because they had to pay for DB's ETCS

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote