daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1741
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Isn't DB paying the state for the use of the network? As I understand it EU rules mandate a strict separation between infrastructure owners and operators.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1742
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

It's probably DB Bahn who's paying DB Netz for network usage.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1743
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

All operators pay DB Netz for the use of tracks, platforms and facilities such as cleaning of toilets. When it comes to train paths, DB Netz offers several 'products' (named 'Trassen') that have their own specialities.

The Regionalverkehr, whether operated by DB or not, usually goes for one of the basic options. That means they get a train path at a fair price. Operators like DB Fernverkehr, CityNightLine and Thalys usually buy 'premium paths'. A premium path is more expensive, but trains will get a higher priority.

This explains why you aren't allowed to take Fernverkehr trains with a ticket such as the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket, as the train path itself is actually more expensive for DB.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1744
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

So... if in German it's "Trassen" and in Italian is "Traccia"... may it be "Traces" in English?

Doesn't sound right...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1745
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

train path(s), maybe?

It's sillon in French.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Wilhem275 liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1746
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

You're right, it is just train paths in English.

Wilhem275, flierfy liked this post
MattN está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1747
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
train path(s), maybe?

It's sillon in French.
And surco in Spanish.
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1748
AlexNL

"treinpad" in Dutch. "pad" is Dutch for several words: "path", "toad" (the animal, not relevant in this case) but also "trail".
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:03 AM   #1749
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

This video is probably from Germany so I guess it should be posted here.

What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1750
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Grube: Germany should be model for Europe's railways

GERMAN Rail (DB) CEO Dr Rüdiger Grube has called on European governments to adopt the structure of Germany's railway industry to foster competition and increase market share.

Unveiling DB's annual Competition Report, Grube argued that with 25% of German passenger services (by train-km) in the hands of private operators, and 28.6% of freight, Germany has fostered a competitive environment for rail services without adopting the full vertical separation prescribed in European legislation.

"Given the positive trend in Germany we have no sympathy with the European Commission's efforts to destroy Europe's integrated railway systems," Grube says. "The successful German model should be an example for other countries to follow that will finally encourage more competition on their railways."

DB says that rail's competitive position is under threat from the lack of security in future infrastructure funding; the lengthy certification process for new rolling stock, which has become a significant risk for operators in Germany; and the lack of progress in tackling what it terms "distortions in intra-European competition" in opening passenger markets.

From International Railway Journal, May 21st, 2013.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1751
AlexNL

In the Netherlands, a company called WC-Eend (a brand of toilet cleanser) once used the slogan "Wij van WC-Eend adviseren WC-Eend" ("Us at WC-Eend recommend you to use WC-Eend"). That slogan applies to Grube's statement just fine. ;-)

Silly_Walks, 3737, M-NL liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1752
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

But you can't deny that given the plethora of railway companies Germany is one of the few European countries where competition on the rail network actually seems to work (and not just on a few secondary lines).
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1753
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

Up to a point, that is true. However, the competition works more on tendering of schedule services (where competition is actually fierce) than on allocation of slots for domestic long-distance services (something like Italo (NTV) does in Italy)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:10 AM   #1754
AlexNL

Competition in Fernverkehr does seem to work in Germany, indeed, for example with InterConnex or HKX. However, there have been several occassions on which DB has been the subject on an antitrust investigation.

What's most important to me is that capacity allocation and traffic management are completely separated from any operator. Cooperation is fine (and should be there), but any possibility of corruption or giving priority to its own company should be avoided. I don't care how the infrastructure maintenance is laid out - in France that job is done by SNCF Infra!
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1755
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
What's most important to me is that capacity allocation and traffic management are completely separated from any operator. Cooperation is fine (and should be there), but any possibility of corruption or giving priority to its own company should be avoided. I don't care how the infrastructure maintenance is laid out - in France that job is done by SNCF Infra!
Isn´t the operator of the german railways a company of the DB holding group? Then if it is true how can you asure than they don´t favour other DB companies?
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1756
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Britain has best railway, says new CILT president

The European Commission reckons Britain has the best railway in Europe and is urging other member states to follow and adapt to the UK rail system, according to Jim Steer, the new president of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.

The statement came during Steer’s speech at the president’s inauguration lunch in London, where he set out his agenda for the next twelve months.

As well as citing his presidential priorities for the next year, he announced the EU is encouraging other members to adapt the British example in managing railways as it believes it is the best in the continent.

From Logistics Manager, 21st May 2013
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1757
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9997

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Britain has best railway, says new CILT president

The European Commission reckons Britain has the best railway in Europe and is urging other member states to follow and adapt to the UK rail system, according to Jim Steer, the new president of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.

The statement came during Steer’s speech at the president’s inauguration lunch in London, where he set out his agenda for the next twelve months.

As well as citing his presidential priorities for the next year, he announced the EU is encouraging other members to adapt the British example in managing railways as it believes it is the best in the continent.

From Logistics Manager, 21st May 2013
They don't travel by train do they? I do not see how the UK has a better rail system than Germany or Austria, for example.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1758
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

No, I know what you mean.

I think the emphasis of Jim Steer had been on the political structure of the UK rail system with regards to the separation of infrastructure management from train operations.

This has been a model for success in the UK, certainly for freight operations and also for some passenger operations, although it's also quite true that many passenger trains in the UK are obviously run by companies where bean counters are in control, so they can have awful seat configurations and are very often too short in length and therefore overcrowded.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1759
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
They don't travel by train do they? I do not see how the UK has a better rail system than Germany or Austria, for example.
People often criticize UK rail system without much reason. UK operates a denser network that is more fragile by means of design of the early 1800s (London-centric, lack of electrification etc)

However, these things are not a by-product of the institutional structure of the rail system in UK as of now, but a legacy of decades past. Britain had coal, and plenty of it, and no neighbor casting its eyes over it, so it never faced the urgency to electrify that Switzerland or Germany did.

Its rail infrastructure were also not severely damaged during WW2, to the point where they had to reconstruct (and indirectly upgrade) many bridges, stations and what else in Germany.

What people often complain about are prices, but that is more anecdotal these days: last-minute ICE fares are very expensive, as are walk-up fares in UK.

Last-minute travel in Germany that involves 2 ICEs, one regional train and one private-operated trains is costly.

As for the overall pricing scheme, regional travel is cheaper in Germany than in UK, but that is a result of public policy on subsidization of local commuter train networks in many of the länder.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:33 PM   #1760
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
I would say that in some respects the UK system is better than the German one, in others not.
For a country with hardly any dedicated high speed the system is reasonable fast, but it could be a bit better integrated.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote