daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1821
extrawelt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3414

...more informations by Frank Eritt
extrawelt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:40 AM   #1822
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Time travel reduction poster from the 1930s (seen on the Deutsche Technikmuseum Berlin)

image hosted on flickr

Deutsches Technikmuseum by eurograd, on Flickr

It probably takes now more than 12h to reach Kaliningrad and it is a pity not much further improvement was done on travel times to Hamburg last 70 years

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:44 AM   #1823
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

The Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin has a lot of old rolling stock on exhibition there, on two former loco sheds. I spent a whole day at the museum (it covers many other subjects besides trains), but couldn't stay that long in the shed because it was extremely hot there.

image hosted on flickr

Deutsches Technikmuseum by eurograd, on Flickr
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:59 AM   #1824
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The garden of the museum is great for railfans... you're in the middle of a wood, with ghost tracks, the squeacking U1 and U2 trains just beside it, the N-S mainline trains on the run, and U7 rumbling underground (you can even see it down a manhole in the corner of the museum).

For other ghost tracks in the woods, check out the Schöneberger Südgelände by Priesterweg station (S2-S25).

Hamburg is now more than half an hour nearer to Berlin, and 45' if you consider Spandau; I would call that an improvement...
Consider that the shorter the overall time, the harder to reach new marginal gains. The linear distance between them is 250 km, even a HSL perfectly straight from center to center would offer you just 30' less than today's time. Considering you have full grown cities around those centers, it's difficult to achieve a way shorter time.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

thun liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1825
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It probably takes now more than 12h to reach Kaliningrad and it is a pity not much further improvement was done on travel times to Hamburg last 70 years
Put it that way - it took huge efforts and investments post-1989 to reach these standards again in the case of Hamburg. In the case of Cologne, only the Berlin-Hannover HSL manages to knock off some of the time of the 1930s standard. And there are still some other major intercity connections where the 1930s standard has not been reached again yet, the most embarrasing being Berlin-Dresden, where speeds have deteriorated post-reunification and the track improvement is being delayed since 23 years. See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresdner_Bahn in German.
As for Berlin-Kaliningrad, I did it one time in the 1990s when there was still a direct sleeper compartment and I remember leaving Lichtenberg around 21 h and arriving in Kaliningrad around noon the next day.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1826
Iwan

Likes (Received): 3682

Quote:
It probably takes now more than 12h to reach Kaliningrad
I am afraid there's no direct connection to Kaliningrad. It takes 5h46m to get from Berlin to Tczew (via Poznań and Bydgoszcz).
utrzymuje sama, mają bardzo dobre współczynniki niezawodności.
****** http://www.eu07.pl/ ******* http://rail.phototrans.eu/ *******
Iwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1827
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwan View Post
I am afraid there's no direct connection to Kaliningrad. It takes 5h46m to get from Berlin to Tczew (via Poznań and Bydgoszcz).
From 2003 to 2012 there was an direct overnight service. Left Berlin-Lichtenberg 21:45 arriving 14:01 next day in Kaliningrad. It was quite unexpectiblyt removed this year due to a massive hike in track usage tariffs. It was a attached to the Berlin-Kiev train which also was ditched.

http://newswave.eu/popular-tourist-t...berlin-sacked/
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1828
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I'd say that on average travel from anywhere in Berlin to anywhere in Hamburg is probably twice as fast now then it was 70 years ago...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1829
RobMarPer

Likes (Received): 196

Wuppertal Schwebebhan von oben

mb92 liked this post
RobMarPer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #1830
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt_YE7oq1I0

mb92 liked this post
Matz32Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:33 PM   #1831
RobMarPer

Likes (Received): 196

German Railways

mb92, CEVEP liked this post
RobMarPer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:30 PM   #1832
erka

Likes (Received): 1109

Yesterday I had to change trains at Hamburg-Harburg. I waited 30 minutes and saw 12 (!) heavy freight trains passing by (and lots of passenger trains, of course). Mostly containers but also steel, iron ore/coal and cars. It was in the middle of the day. Incredible amount of freight trains.
erka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1833
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
Yesterday I had to change trains at Hamburg-Harburg. I waited 30 minutes and saw 12 (!) heavy freight trains passing by (and lots of passenger trains, of course). Mostly containers but also steel, iron ore/coal and cars. It was in the middle of the day. Incredible amount of freight trains.
How strange for a port city
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1834
erka

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
How strange for a port city
The port of Rotterdam, which is a lot larger than that of Hamburg, sees far less freight trains (mostly because of the Rhine river inland transports by ship). I was surprised by the frequency. Hamburg must have one of the highest modal split for freight by rail of all larger ports.
erka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:23 PM   #1835
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
The port of Rotterdam, which is a lot larger than that of Hamburg, sees far less freight trains (mostly because of the Rhine river inland transports by ship). I was surprised by the frequency. Hamburg must have one of the highest modal split for freight by rail of all larger ports.
That´s the reason they plan to build additional tracks between Hannover and Hamburg. Latest thing to hear from was the idea to build a freight-line like Betuwe-line instead of HSL for passengers.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM   #1836
thun

Quote:
(mostly because of the Rhine river inland transports by ship).
That exactly is the explanation. Rotterdam (and Antwerp) are directly connected with the industrial centres of the Blue Banana via the Rhine whereas up the Elbe there's, well, only farmland and the occasional town.
Port of Hamburg's hinterland (meaning: the industrial centres of West Germany) indeed have to be connected by rail.
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1837
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

In your face Siemens and Bombardier:
Deutsche Bahn orders new trains from Skoda Transportation!

Quote:
DB signs contract for Škoda Transportation push-pull trains

05 Aug 2013

GERMANY: Deutsche Bahn signed a €110m contract for Škoda Transportation to supply six double-deck push-pull trainsets on August 5.

The trainsets are to be used on regional services linking Nürnberg, Ingolstadt and München which DB Regio is to operate on behalf of the Land of Bayern for 12 years from December 2016. This includes operation at up to 190 km/h on the Nürnburg - Ingolstadt high speed line.

Each trainset will comprise five double-deck intermediate coaches and a double-deck driving car, with a Type 109E locomotive. The trainsets will have 705 seats in two classes, with power sockets, wi-fi and pressure-tight bodies for passenger comfort when passing trains running at up to 300 km/h on the high speed line.

The contract 'confirms that Škoda Transportation can be ranked among the biggest world producers of rolling stock', said TomᚠKrsek, Chairman of the Škoda Transportation board. 'The conclusion of this contract is proof of the high quality and competitive ability of our rolling stock. We will supply a modern train with top technical equipment to Germany. The reference from the giant Deutsche Bahn opens the door to the entire world.'

DB Chief Executive Rüdiger Grube said Škoda Transportation's entry to the German market would help to increase competition, and the supplier's long history in the rail sector meant DB was confident that it would fulfil expectations.

Impression of push-pull trainset for DB Regio (Image: Skoda Transportation)

What Is Love?

thun liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #1838
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Good call! Pretty sure that Skoda locos will operate just fine. Why limit the service to 190 km/h though and not to the locos Vmax?
Old August 6th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #1839
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

good news for fair european competition enviroment....
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1840
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Another news, not so good. ICE 3 trains will continue to be short in stock and to operate at less than planned capacity. Inspection intervals were shortened a few years back after an accident. Now DB wants to make the vehicles safer, but the Federal Railways Office does not approve of the upgrade, as they need to see that the changes will not impair other safety features of the trains. See in German http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...n-ice-3-52842/
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote