daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM   #1
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6169

Palestra | Southwark | London | 56m

Went for a wander around Southwark today. Here are some pics of Will Alsop's Palestra, which is virtually completed externally.

I think it's turned out well - certainly better than I expected. The cladding is nice, very shiny and colourful, and has brightened up this rather drab area of Southwark. Architecturally, I think it's better than Bankside 123 and More London.

wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:28 AM   #2
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3044

my gf and i thought the cladding was cheap. if you look at the yellows in it for example, they do look like cheapo plastic. we both agreed it had something but it was let down by the mothercare style plastics.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:28 AM   #3
delores

Likes (Received): 178

the design has been watered down substantially, as someone who used to work at alsops i have seen the facade change radically, there was to be a second glass skirt around the upper levels...this was taken out for cost reasons and really in my eyes has never really recovered aesthetically. But i think its a welcome addition to the area all the same and anythings better than what it replaced. Its ashame nothing has happened above southwark station. Are there any plans? Does anyone know?? a tower would be very appropriate here.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM   #4
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1738

Interesting that people found the original Alsop design too wacky and asked for it to be toned down, only for the complaints to still exist that it is now watered down.

It's almost like Alsop did a bit **** you to the detractors.

I think the effect has been lost on this building. It promised quite a lot but hasn't really lived up to the potential. I think the main reason is the lack of anything kind of 'softening' into the surrounding area. I seem to remember an original rendering which showed the cladding style applied to the railway bridge, a few painted squares on the pavement that went up Blackfriars Road, and the odd random yellow tile scatted around the surrounding area that became more of a cluster the closer you got to the building.

A real shame. It will look great in the summer what with the heavily reflective facade, but the building just fails for me - firstly by the hideous machinery ducts that grace the top level (which seem to be something the architects fail on on every new build (except, suprisingly, at Canary Wharf), the dullness of the final look from the original plan, and that the building in terms of pedestrian flows is still as bad as what graced the site before.

That's not to say I don't like it. I'm just not sure I like what it turned out to be.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM   #5
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1043

To me it reminds me of the mistakes of the past. Monolithic structures built for the architects ego rather than on improving the built environment. It does look cheap much like the cladding on City Hall, my bet for city hall is in 20-30 years it will have a complete reclad.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM   #6
DarJoLe

I honestly think More London will be gone in thirty years and City Hall along with it. It reeks of being a 21st century mistake akin to a 1960s mistake today.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM   #7
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 4

It doesnt really strike me as being as extrordinary as it is meant to be. At least it doesn't look like a teddy bear. Perhaps its the context of the building. I mildly dislike it.
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM   #8
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores
the design has been watered down substantially, as someone who used to work at alsops i have seen the facade change radically, there was to be a second glass skirt around the upper levels...this was taken out for cost reasons and really in my eyes has never really recovered aesthetically. But i think its a welcome addition to the area all the same and anythings better than what it replaced. Its ashame nothing has happened above southwark station. Are there any plans? Does anyone know?? a tower would be very appropriate here.
Yes...well if you come out of southwark Station an turn left, you come to a number of sites that are mentioned on here (can anyone else recall the names), ultimately, the Beetham tower at the foot of the bridge, but that is much further down...about 1/2 km.

I note people are generally disappointed with this project, but I remember what was there before ( I was up in court there.....on jury service). It really was an ugly concrete shitebox!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM   #9
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 259

BTW excellent pics yet again!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM   #10
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 12

This is, toned down for an Alsop, but despite many of the faults that many of you have pointed out and by the way I pretty much agree with most of the criticisms, I still think this building has turned out pretty well. The wackiness has gone from the design and anythings odd left are now just subtle.

p.s good pics will
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM   #11
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Nice pics. But I don't like Palestra. The LDA made a pre-let
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM   #12
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 2

Certainly quite interesting and a sure improvement on what was there, however why they chose yellow I'll never understand? I don't particularly like the cladding and it doesn't live up to the renders but still I don't think it's awful and the shape is quite good.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:32 PM   #13
Munch

Likes (Received): 1

what did the original wacky renders look like? I dont remember....
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #14
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 47

I'm not sure what people are on about but cladding is not finished yet. Theirs another coating thats going on.
However as for updates last time I visited in Dec at the site the lift shafts were being fitted ready for the lifts.
The balcony needs doing and the roof needs covering too, however I think they've already done this because all the motors are in.

I'm going to visit it again in Feb so we'll see how far they've gotton.

I have seen the inside and its vast. The office space is huge. And right at the top is a brilliant vantage point to take a alot of snapshots of London. The photos came out brilliant.
eXSBass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Londonconstructionwo

Likes (Received): 0

The inside of this building is better than the outside once the enterance lobby is complete it will be a much better building, rumorur has it ken livinstone is going to let this building. The interior is of a high standard and although this is a nothing building it is the start of the redevelopment of this area once the hotel is built behind we may see more and more built around here. I Know its not earth shattering stuff but these small jobs pave the way to get the right type of enviroment to coax the bigger jobs into the area.
Londonconstructionwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:54 PM   #16
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
what did the original wacky renders look like? I dont remember....
Larger ones can be found on the website

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM   #17
Fragmentor
Funky London

Likes (Received): 0

I think it looks rather nice. Certainly nothing like the renderings (but what is) the colour is not quite as prominent in the cladding as I'd hoped it would be, saying that though, it's not bad, shame it wasnt 50 stories higher

Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:03 PM   #18
DarJoLe

Oh the original was far more wacky than that - painted clouds on the top half and crosses down the sides.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:06 PM   #19
delores

Likes (Received): 178

all in all though i have to say it beats the awful buildings around that area.
Across the road lifschutz davidson are building a tower but i'm not sure thats going ahead now.
The beetham tower should be built above the station in my eyes , not so close to the water as proposed now.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #20
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 97

i dont especially like how it looks at the mo, and i knew this would happen as soon as i saw the deceptive renderings and said as much in the original thread.
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote