daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Hong Kong - Ocean Park Redevelopment

Find this image of Hong Kong Ocean Park Redevelopment from news paper (Ha faster than hkskyline!)

Work is set to begin this year on the HK$5.5bn (£400m, US$710m, E590m) redevelopment of Hong Kong’s Ocean Park.

The scheme is designed to turn the 28-year old park into the world’s leading marine-based theme park and will double the number of existing attractions.

The new Ocean Park will be split into two distinct areas, The Waterfront (formerly the Lowland) and The Summit (formerly the Headland).

The proposal include two hotels, cafes, restaurants and shops.

Last edited by Sexas; January 23rd, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM   #2
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

cool.............
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

lol faster than hkskyline!
great job dude!
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:05 PM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Park facelift set with loan deals

The 29-year-old Ocean Park, enjoying unprecedented popularity since the opening of Disneyland last September, has secured more than HK$4 billion in loans for a five-year redevelopment plan scheduled to begin in June.

Wendy Leung
Hong Kong Standard
Monday, January 23, 2006

The 29-year-old Ocean Park, enjoying unprecedented popularity since the opening of Disneyland last September, has secured more than HK$4 billion in loans for a five-year redevelopment plan scheduled to begin in June.

People familiar with negotiations said the Bank of China, DBS and the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank have agreed loans totaling HK$4.16 billion to go with the HK$1.38 billion offered by the government.

Ocean Park chairman Allan Zeman said work on phase one of the two-phase redevelopment plan will begin in June and will be completed in 2008.

Upon completion, operating hours will be extended from 6pm to 9pm, he said. Ticket prices will also rise.

"We have to make money, but the increase will not be crazy, I promise," Zeman said in an interview with The Standard and Sing Tao Daily.

Ocean Park will eventually buy eight more animal species, which will include the Beluga whale, polar bears, penguins, walruses and exotic birds from various countries.

"Having the right facilities to house these animals is most important. These facilities will be built during phase one to accommodate the animals we will buy in phase two," Zeman said.

Besides facilities for the animals, phase one will see the construction of a waterfront plaza, complete with a restaurant in an aquarium, an underground train, new thrill rides, a rainforest and a greater variety of shops.

In the aquarium restaurant, guests will be able to dine while fish swim around them.

"Guests will also be able to go down in a cage to see the sharks," Zeman said.

The underground train will take visitors from the waterfront through the mountain to the summit in only three minutes. This, Zeman said, would improve the flow of visitors and relieve the queues that now plague Disneyland attractions.

Zeman said the park will also build bigger accommodation for its two pandas, An An and Jia Jia.

The construction work will be carried out away from existing park facilities to avoid disturbing the animals.

Three hotels will be built in phase two - one next to the entrance, a spa hotel on the summit and another next to the government-planned fisherman's wharf in Aberdeen.

"Professional and world-class theme parks have hotels and I want overseas tourists to bring their children to Ocean Park," Zeman said.

He said he would like the park to become an animal research center.

"We would like to see the young people of Hong Kong grow up with animals and have an awareness of animal conservancy," Zeman said.

While toys and other merchandise contribute more than half of Disneyland's revenue, half of Ocean Park's profit comes from ticket sales, a quarter from retail shops and the remainder from restaurants.

Zeman said that Ocean Park will provide a wider variety of shops and bookshops in the future though the emphasis on real animals and conservation will remain.

Ocean Park enjoyed a revival in popularity after Disneyland opened last September.

Visitor numbers last Halloween were the highest in five years, exceeding even those of Christmas 2004. Zeman said Disneyland's positive impact was "unexpected."

About 40 percent of the park's visitors are local, 50 percent mainlanders and the remainder come from abroad.

In 2010, Ocean Park will be able to accommodate 53,600 visitors a day, while the projected annual attendance figure will be at least five million.

Attendance figures for 2005-06 are not available, but Ocean Park said it recorded 4.03 million in 2004-05 - the highest since it opened in 1977.

Rival Disneyland has projected an attendance of 5.6 million visitors for this year.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #5
jose_kwan
HKer @ Bay Area

Likes (Received): 0

definitely a great news
jose_kwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Kai Tak
BANNED

I wanted to go to Ocean Park when I was in Hong Kong a year ago, but it wasn't a stop on the MTR line. I kinda restricted my travels in the city to the subway.

Will the MTR expand to have a stop for Ocean Park?
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
I wanted to go to Ocean Park when I was in Hong Kong a year ago, but it wasn't a stop on the MTR line. I kinda restricted my travels in the city to the subway.

Will the MTR expand to have a stop for Ocean Park?
There is a plan to build a new MTR line with a stop in Ocean Park. The related news thread is here : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=229553
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #8
hktreasure

Likes (Received): 1

great news
Ocean Park has done a lot to preserve marine life
and teaches us to protect environment~
However, on the contrary, disneyland........
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 8

Ocean park is kinda a stupid layout tho, by the time i had queued for the sky pods to get to the headland it was almost time to go home, it took about an hour, they should definately look for a better solution or increase capacity
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #10
Sexas
Whole Other Country

I made the same mistake frist time in Ocean Park (LOL!) I stay on the Summit the whole time and miss out the whole Lowland Area, I was so upset need to pay the ticket again to go back, I tell the manager about it and he gave me $25 discount ha! but it was like ten years ago, I want go to Ocean Park ago...be honest I like the Ocean Park in Hong Kong better that the SeaWorld here in Texas.
The SkyPod